Author Topic: Picture posts - September, 2016  (Read 4369 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Picture posts - September, 2016
« on: September 19, 2016, 11:19:05 PM »
Gregg has done such a stellar job with documenting ECTA, Loring and Bonneville events, that I thought I'd attempt to put up a slice of El Mirage.  Kate brought me out - seriously, this was HER idea - and it was good revisiting the place that got me interested in LSR 23 years ago.

We had reserved a Mustang Convertible at LAX.  When we arrived, we were told it would be a 2 hour wait - OR we could opt for a VW convertible,
OR - about the closest thing to an MGB still being made, an MX5.  We had a hotel reservation in Monterey, so we stuffed the trunk and were off.  It turned out to be a stroke of brilliance, because just about EVERY OTHER CAR WE SAW ON THE PHC WAS A FRICKIN' MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE!

The event was modestly attended - I suspect there were a number of folks at WOS, and a few Bonneville racers who were in repair mode, but they ran 4 rounds before the wind picked up.

This one reminded me a lot of the Holman-Moody Challenger I Falcon with the blocked off front end -

I was told this Austin was for sale.  I was also told that there wasn't enough room in it to make it my new permanent residence . . .

It's all about the tuck on a bike this small, but it's the sweetest sounding chainsaw motor I've ever heard -

The big highlight for me was catching up with Wayno.  It was all business at the Goose, and they were going over data when we showed up.  It's been a case of solid, incremental steps getting the EFI Flatty up to steam.  They walked away with a 147+, all smiles, and a best for the tank and Wayno -

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline vintageracecar

Re: Picture posts - September, 2016
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 01:04:45 AM »
Thanks Chris !!
Some great pics of the event.
Below please find the Impound Insights Report for the September Elmo race.
In Dan Warner's absents, Mike Kaehny did a great job certifying records and summarizing the events of this meet.

Impound Insights– September 11, 2016

As expected the entries were on the light side after Speedweek. Some hurt equipment and empty wallets must have
kept the masses away. There were a total of 77 entries that made a collective 150 passes down the track.

Technical inspections got started on Saturday under seasonable conditions and a light breeze. Unfortunately, it didn’t
last all weekend as the event was blown out after four rounds of racing on Sunday. On to the records….

The El Mirage 200 MPH Club has another member and his name is Cal Rothe. He pushed the Aardema / Braun / Lattin
FRMR to new record of 204 and change. Congrats to Cal and the crew!

The first vehicle to roll into Impound was the J/BFL of the Rice Vigeant Racing team. The Suzuki powered Lakester driven
by Mark Vigeant ran the record up to 175.866. Next in was Neil McAllister behind the wheel of the BMR Ferguson
Racing XXF/BFALT. They bumped their July record by a pinch with a recorded 193.326 mph. Then comes along Cal Rothe
in the 201.239 mph, F/FRMR of the Aardema Braun Lattin team. This record put Cal in the “Dirty Two” club as I had
mentioned above. Again, congrats! The Stuhaan Rogers Kipe team ran their K/GS up to 139.347 mph with David
Boultwood at the wheel. They were very excited as they had been working on that one for a while. Jim Hoogerhyde at
the helm of the number 1 Costella / Hoogerhyde I/FL notched a 187.369 mph run. Looks like Jim is healing just fine! The
Notabusa I/FCC driven by Larry Foley Jr. ran the record up to 137.719 mph. The little Coupe that could! Andy Bartfay
driving the Honda powered Burns Callaway Warnock G/GR ran the three year old record up to 150.240 mph. The
Hondata CRX stopped by Impound with a recorded 214.211 mph in the G/BFCC driven by Aaron Hale. Next was the
Eyres & Son BGR with Eric Eyres doing the driving. They put up a solid 226.435 mph run on the 10 plus year old record
with a “D” engine in the car. The last vehicle to make it in before the meet was blown out was that Hondata CRX, again
driven by Aaron Hale who went for it as evidenced by the engine fluids dripping out of and around the car. He pushed
his earlier record up to 219.687 mph. Two more cars set top speeds in their respective classes but they are pending
certification. On to the motorcycles…..

The first motorcycle to make it in was Ralph Hudson riding a 1000cc class APSBG Suzuki. He ran 243.584 mph to step on
his 2013 record. Mark Summitt riding the Woody’s Aermacchi APF pushed past their May record with a 120.453 pass.
The Team McLeish HD entry was in at 60.482 mph on the 50cc AVBG motorcycle ridden by Derek McLeish. The Dave
Iverson Knuckle ridden by Dave Iversen himself upped the record to 130.432 mph in the 1000cc SCVF class. Steve “Papi”
Chappell riding the Shooting Star entry moved the needle on the 1650cc PP record to a 196.807 mph record to finish off
the morning at motorcycle impound. The noon hour brought in 4 motorcycles with the first being the Bridge LSD entry
ridden by Chris Bridgewater. Chris rode the 1650cc class APSPBG to a 189.353 mph on a 180 mph minimum open
record. The bar in that class is now set! Next in was Cayla Rivas on the 500cc Buell that has been serving her very well
this season. She ran her entry up to 139.406 mph to break her own July record. The Foley Racing 1650cc SCVG Harley
Davidson powered Sidecar Motorcycle ridden by Tom Foley ran a 130.438 mph speed. The last motorcycle to make it
through was the Speranza Brant Robinson entry in the 2000cc SCPG class. Randy Speranza wheeled the Harley powered
bike to a 173.345 mph top speed. There are two motorcycles that qualified as well but are pending certification.

The final event of the summer is in the books as we look towards World Finals and the fall racing season. Good luck to
you all, race safe and we’ll see you on the Salt!

Mike Kaehny

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 02:02:30 AM »
Happy to post 'em up, Mike.

I sense that El Mirage gets taken for granted on this site sometimes, but being stuck in the Midwest with few venues at hand, I genuinely appreciate the history and importance of Elmo to the sport.  There's no place like it.

I bought my first rule book there - 1993.

I'd like to get the Midget dusty one day . . .

gkabbt

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 02:12:46 PM »

Chris, MANY thanks for the pics.....Ya' done good!  :-D  
Now, I blame you for this.....When you told me a couple of months ago about your trip out west, it got me thinking!
Early last week, I made plane reservations to go out for the Elmo November meet! Last one of the year and a two day meet! I hope mother nature co-operates but if not, there will still be plenty to do.

Gregg  
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 03:10:07 PM by gkabbt »

Offline jdincau

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 02:34:55 PM »
Nice pictures, the blue street roadster is mine, was I too grumpy to say hi? I get that way sometimes.
Jim
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 10:21:41 AM »
Nice pictures, the blue street roadster is mine, was I too grumpy to say hi? I get that way sometimes.
Jim

Jim, I tend to be cautious about approaching folks when they're racing.  I'm actually not as gregarious or outgoing as my posts might lead someone to believe, and I'm terrible with remembering names, so I'll let folks race, keep my mouth shut and ask questions or make comments later.

I've always been a fan of the '26-7 T roadsters.  Yours is a particularly tasteful and well-proportioned example - almost too pretty to race.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 11:27:05 AM »
You could be describing me, I tend to be the same. Thanks for the compliment, I took my time and tried to do this one right.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 01:51:53 PM »
You sure succeeded. 
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RichFox

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 02:14:30 PM »
I have to agree. i saw this car once during it's building and a few times since. i am envious. It is very nice, I think.

Offline Ray-Zee

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 01:18:07 AM »
awesome photos