Author Topic: Quest For Knowledge; All Invited...  (Read 11851 times)

Offline Bret Kepner

• Bret Kepner Photos
Re: Quest For Knowledge; All Invited...
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 11:16:15 PM »
A few notes:

1. There are certainly more than just McKinney and Xydias among the surviving Forty-Niners.

2. Freud was NOT riding a Hayabusa, (although it was discussed). He was on a M/PS-F 1000 TLR.

Thanks for the input. I certainly should've remembered Duane and Gene although I honestly didn't think Fitch was that old.

Okay; revisionist question in need of similar answers:

Can we assume Freud, at an age of 85 years and 19 days, is the oldest to ride a motorcycle in a competitive timed trial at Bonneville?
Bret Kepner
BRETKEPNER@Prodigy.net
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 12:33:06 AM »
Joe Fontana set a record at 255+ in the Ferguson streamliner using HIS GMC 12 port 6cylinder. I believe he was 82 and he's still involved with midget racing.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 12:16:17 PM »
OK, just found this thread... and Bret's corrected question was the one I had...
Marty will be 90 later this year.  I think his last timed run was in 2008, someone correct my memory if it is wrong.

Freud was scheduled to ride my 1630 Busa at WoS... but the Busa was not cooperating, the initial test rides by Ross Powers showed a problem I've been fighting, bike surging... sometimes it runs fine, but at Colorado mile and again at WoS it was back.... test riding at home on a paved country road it was fine and fast.  Never threw a code so it thinks everything is working fine.
When I was at the end of my rope our friend Nick Genet offered up his bike, a freshly finished 1000cc 2 cylinder Suzuki he had been lapping for 3 days with his buddies, on their own bikes, John and Michael Salimbeni.  What a great group... They stopped their program to support Freud and his quest to ride again at Bonneville.  Don and Gus Jackson went to the end to catch and we had a team.
I think we all had tears in our eyes when he launched and rode the course.... He made a couple more passes, then said he was roasting in Don Jackson's leathers and called a halt.

our fear was dispelled, we had not injured a National Treasure and we were not being banned from the salt for life...  :| 

I think after it was over he called Doris and confessed before facebook blew up and one of his kids ratted him out

On an additional note, Greg Waters and Jim Higgins brought me a switch to turn off the cam sensor after starting,  but the winds were up, and then came the rain.  Hoping it jumps ugly when I ride it so I can turn off the cam input
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline salt27

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 01:24:37 PM »
Dr. Freud ready to roll

Offline salt27

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 01:33:12 PM »
And a picture of the picture takers.

Offline BSTER

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2016, 09:29:18 PM »
Fantastic  I heard he was running  listening to the internet live audio.

Offline Frank06

Re:
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2016, 10:22:19 PM »
Awesome!  I have a new hero!
E-Racer

Offline salt27

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2016, 12:27:16 AM »
Gus and I were on the return road waiting for Freud but I have to say that he didn't really need us.

He came in strait and true without a wobble one and dismounted on his own.
Three runs made, each one faster than the last, he did good.   :cheers:

Don
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 03:16:12 PM by salt27 »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2016, 12:48:24 AM »
Marty Dickerson is the "Marty" that I think is being mentioned.  He ran a Vincent at the BMST in 2007 or 2008 as I remember, like you say.  The sound of that big twin blasting through the mile was quite something to hear.

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2016, 10:08:22 AM »
This was the most memorable WoS we ever attended... Records were broken, records were set....  Friends came forward to help friends.... A special friend realized his dream to ride on the salt one more time.... it is likely that we were all part of the oldest motorcycle rider ever riding in competition. 

All trips to the salt are a religious experience.... this one was special, thanks to everyone involved  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2016, 05:34:02 PM »
Stainless, we all owe you a debt of gratitude when Freud pulled that old trick - "It's too hot for these leathers!" - and you made him keep them on!  :x You know how he is around motorcycles!  :-o :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Online Stan Back

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2016, 05:42:26 PM »
At lunch the other day, he told me he ran two courses at the same time.  Wouldn't that be backing up his own "record"?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records