Author Topic: Rod Nestmann Passing  (Read 4664 times)

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
Rod Nestmann Passing
« on: August 31, 2016, 10:29:16 AM »
Rod's Obit:
Rodney James Nestmann (Hot Rod), 55, passed away peacefully with his family at his side, after a hard battle with cancer on August 27, 2016 in Las Vegas Nevada.  Rod was a loving Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Leader, Entrepreneur, Veteran, Pain in the Ass, and most of all our Hero.  He did not believe in the words “I can’t.”  He applied his ingenuity and drive to everything he did, be it building a race car to helping someone accomplish more than they ever thought they could.  Rod served 6 years in the United States Air Force, and was Honorably Discharged as a Staff Sergeant.  He applied his experience as a leader in the Boy Scouts of America, Business owner, Teacher and all he did in life.  He built motorcycles, hot rods, and racecars, and set many land speed records.  His greatest trait was that of a teacher, both in and out of the classroom.  He believed in the saying “It would be a waste of life to do nothing with ones’ abilities,  for I feel that life is measured in achievements, not in years alone, by Bruce McLaren”. 

Rod is survived by his loving Wife, Sherri, his two sons Dan (Moria), Ryan (Jackie), his Granddaughter, Ruby, his mother, Flo, his two sisters Theresa and Dani, his niece and nephews, and all those lucky enough to be counted amongst his friends.

A Celebration of Life will be held  at the Palms Northwest Mortuary and Cemetery, Hospitality Room, 6701 N. Jones Blvd., Las Vegas, NV 89131,  September 2nd, 2016, 6:00 to 8:00 pm.  Please join us in celebrating his life.   In Lieu of flowers, please make donations to; The John Wayne Cancer Foundation, In honor of Rodney Nestmann. You can donate at http://Https://donate.johnwayne.org/hotrod9602.   

Internment to occur at a later date the Southern Nevada Veterans Memorial Cemetery, Boulder City, Nevada.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Rod Nestmann Passing
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 08:29:14 AM »
Joe

Never the exact news we ever want to hear but a big thanks for passing along.  I knew he had moved to the West somewhere but not much more than that, have always wondered what happened since. We had many great speed related chats as staging line neighbors and in the pits at Maxton.  Don't think he ever knew my name but IIRC he picked me out of the crowd at Speedweek '08 and took time for exchanging updates.

Didn't know much about his personal life until now but this info explains a lot, he had the type of friendly personality I enjoyed and will never forget, may he rest in peace now.

Ed

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 09:11:12 AM »
GodSpeed Rod, our condolences to your family and friends
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 03:16:15 PM »
 Rod was there for us when my son Matt was so sick. He put together a donation to Team Duke for every MPH over the record he ran for a couple of years. When Matt passed, Rod sent us the tailgate from the truck. He had just finished a new rear-engine Modified roadster. Our hearts go out the Sherri, Dan & Ryan. God Speed Rod.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Brickster

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 09:04:37 PM »
I met Rod at Speedweek I think in 2011 at the salt flats cafe just purely by chance and ended up sharing a table with his HVAC express team. Over a year later I'm walking thru a car show in Las Vegas and I hear "hey I know you!" Got to find out what a great guy Rod was over the next few years as he helped with and advised me a lot on the build of my BMMP project. To those that knew him, they know what a loss this is, to those that didn't you really missed out.

Brick Casper
Las Vegas NV
1995 dodge Dakota, C/BMMP

Offline don

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 10:50:16 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 07:08:39 PM »
I had the privilege of meeting Rod just a few short weeks before he passed away. My only regret was that I didn't have the chance to meet him sooner in life. Despite his prognosis he had a good outlook on life and was enjoyable to be around. My wife and I met him when we made the drive up to Vegas to look at his RMR with the idea of buying it. I had saw the ad a friend of his had posted on the Ohio Mile Facebook page explaining the situation and that it was being sold at a fire sale price. I took the chance and called Rod and spoke with him at length. When he told me the price I had to have him repeat it to me. Im glad I was sitting down. So the next week we drove up from Phoenix and spent 4 hours at his shop looking over the car and chatting. Debbie and went home, did some soul searching and decided to buy the car. We went up a week or so later and loaded the car up ( first time it had ever actually been in the trailer as it had never been to Bonneville, El Mirage or the Ohio Mile ) and brought it home. For those who aren't on Facebook or aren't friends with me, the plan was to go to El Mirage this weekend with the car, get it inspected and hopefully get my first two rookie runs in. Well work got in the way of that so now itll be at the October meet. I hope to do Rod proud. Godspeed Rod

Offline don

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 11:54:55 AM »
https://donate.johnwayne.org/fundraise?fcid=744334

Reposting the link to donate  40 dollars short of reaching the goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk