Author Topic: Frame Issue  (Read 31063 times)

Offline 56KHK

• New folks
Re: Frame Issue
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2016, 08:18:12 PM »
SSS, I remember Smokey Yunick and his "I read the rule book"comment every time he came up with a new trick that resulted in a new rule the following year.  I was advised to buy a rule book before I ever turned a wrench.  What did I do?  I plunged right into the fray with no rule book.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.  Now I have to redesign my blower drive after spending no small sum, and a huge amount of time, building the one I thought would do the trick. 

I can hardly await its arrival.  I probably should have ordered three.

Jim :-D

Offline salt27

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2016, 09:37:07 PM »
Jim, There is always "A" class (special construction) it opens up a lot of possibilities.

Don

Offline 56KHK

• New folks
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2016, 11:00:35 PM »
Jim, There is always "A" class (special construction) it opens up a lot of possibilities.

Don

That will be Plan B.  I think they will allow me to use the 72 frame, since it is essentially identical to the 56 frame.  I can't imagine why they would object.  Still, I will abide by their decision.  And you are right in that "A" classification opens a lot of new doors.  The good of it all is that I have learned a very important lesson - listen to those who have been there and done that.  Back to chasing the dragon.

Regards,

Jim :cheers:

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2016, 10:14:12 AM »
If you shop around, be careful - the K and KH frames are different, rake is shallower on the 1952-53 (and 54?), late KH is same as XL.
Remember that "V" is "pre-1956", but what that actually means is another question. When in 1955 your engine may have been produced (viz. September - December) is a historical question, be prepared. Tatro has been running a self-described later KR in vintage forever.

Important members: ignore this rant.
The purpose of the rule book is so you know who to ask when the rule offers no answer, or both answers (vague, inconclusive, self-contradictory, or allows something that will be ruled illegal if you use it. Google "Buick L8 head").

Offline 56KHK

• New folks
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2016, 05:33:46 PM »
If you shop around, be careful - the K and KH frames are different, rake is shallower on the 1952-53 (and 54?), late KH is same as XL.
Remember that "V" is "pre-1956", but what that actually means is another question. When in 1955 your engine may have been produced (viz. September - December) is a historical question, be prepared. Tatro has been running a self-described later KR in vintage forever.

Important members: ignore this rant.
The purpose of the rule book is so you know who to ask when the rule offers no answer, or both answers (vague, inconclusive, self-contradictory, or allows something that will be ruled illegal if you use it. Google "Buick L8 head").

Thanks for the heads up.  I got my rule book today, and I have been reading it and watching Downtown Abbey.  I think I have a good chance they will allow the 72 frame.  No rule disallows it, but they may think it is not in the spirit of the game.

Back to reading.

Jim :-D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 07:34:56 PM by 56KHK »

Offline 56KHK

• New folks
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2016, 10:25:17 PM »
I have been reading the Rules Book and I discovered on page 149, item 7.J.10 states that VF class is limited to engines produced prior to 1956.  My engine is a 1956 KHK.  Since it is identical to a 1955 KHK engine, I am hoping there is some way to get an exception.  I tried to contact a person listed in the Rules Book with no success (probably a defunct email address).  Can someone tell me whom I should contact that can give me a definitive answer as to whether I can use my current engine?

The alternative is to purchase a new engine, which I will do in a heartbeat if I can find one. 

Jim :dhorse:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2016, 11:14:21 PM »
Don't run for the cliff yet... The vintage rule at 56 is basicially to keep OHV Harley Sportster motors out  of vintage.  There is a thread on here somewhere about that.  Use search function.
Are you sure you motor was made in 56... and not in December 55 for the 56 model year.  I believe the ruling has always been if it is identical and provides no advantage over the earlier year it is acceptable.... because your 56 motor could have been produced before, and stamped for the next model year.

Don't figure "no immediate response" means it didn't get to the right guy, this is the busy season....   Give them some time, don't know what all you asked, but they may have to talk about it.
You can always call the SCTA office and ensure that the guy you are trying to contact has the correct email address listed.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 56KHK

• New folks
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2016, 12:02:42 AM »
Thanks, Stainless.  You made me feel much better anyway.  I wasn't too worried about the lack of an immediate answer, I was just trying to reduce my suffering time.  Once I have an answer, I will either go into "acquire" mode and quite worrying about it, or if the answer in in my favor, proceed as planned.

I will call the SCTA office as you advise.

Thank goodness for this web site.

Offline 56KHK

• New folks
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2016, 11:54:04 PM »
My engine belly numbers show the engine was actually manufactured in 1955.  How lucky can I get?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2016, 09:42:59 AM »
 8-) beans Jim, stop fretting and start building  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline 56KHK

• New folks
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2016, 06:43:18 AM »
Stainless,

Right on!  I am working on a quick change blower drive sprocket set up that would allow me to change blower OD ratios in about 15 mins using interlocking rings.  I wish I could post pictures on this site, but regardless of the size of the picture i am trying too post, I am told I have too many characters.  The problem is in my computer, and I need to get it resolved.

Jim :?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2016, 09:50:48 AM »
Jim, try to change the names to something unique to you... like Jimkh121,  Jimkh122 and so on, you should be able to post 4 pics 120K each...
If that does not work, email me the pics using the icon in my ID.  I will see if I can post them because we all want to see pictures as you build
 :cheers:
Stainless

Offline 56KHK

• New folks
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2016, 07:02:22 AM »
Well, I believe I have discovered a way to enable quick change primary blower drive sprockets using the original primary drive sprocket nut.  It will also enable me to use a remote starter to crank the beast.  Take a look.

The cogged belt sprocket driving the blower is welded to the Pulley Ring...

...which engages the Base Ring which is welded to the primary crank sprocket...

... and a third Ring is present just for compressive fitment...

The primary nut is pinned to the Pulley Ring to prevent being loosened during cranking operations (not shown in drawings).

It is a simple set up, as is most good solutions to complicated problems.  There is one concern I will discuss later as I am looking for a solution to that issue as I write this.

Offline DRW

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2016, 03:20:30 PM »
Jim,  I just read through your thread here, Might I say a couple things from another Newbie ?
First , I have to say all these guys who write back to you have a real wealth of knowledge,  I love reading both
your questions and their answers .
Building in your kitchen, I bet there wasnt one guy here that read that and thought , Thats Weird !
On Reducing your Kids Inheritance , I say Hell Yes !  You earned it, You get to spend it, And when they find out as you said, Its for a
Land Speed Racer For Bonneville Sat Flats , I wish for you they take it like my kids and say, Awesome ,Your finally gonna race Bonneville!
And last, Again from a newbie to newbie,  I ran Bonneville in 2014 & 2016 So compared to everyone, Im a Newbie,  So might I say, As for your comment, Im going to meet him and I hope beat him, Im just sayin ,Dont get your hopes up on beating anyone, Last summer, Right after my third run of my life,I had No Traction and ran slower than before, As I sat in my pits, Two older guys came up and said,  No traction on that run ,we were watchin, I was dejected , They laughed and said, How many runs have you made ?  I said ,Thats the 3rd run of my life,  Jim, Remember this answer the older guys gave me after I said 3rd run of my life , , ,
They looked at each other chuckled and said, "So you thought you would come to a place where racers have been going fast over a hundred years , And run right up there with them after two to three runs"   For Me Point taken . . .  . .
Go to Bonneville ,Fall in love with it , And enjoy any speed you get !  Because my Friend, Its a Blast and so are all the people you meet there !
DW         
Doesnt Mean That Much To me, To Mean That Much To You !

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2016, 05:27:13 PM »
I have been reading the Rules Book and I discovered on page 149, item 7.J.10 states that VF class is limited to engines produced prior to 1956.  My engine is a 1956 KHK.  Since it is identical to a 1955 KHK engine, I am hoping there is some way to get an exception.  I tried to contact a person listed in the Rules Book with no success (probably a defunct email address).  Can someone tell me whom I should contact that can give me a definitive answer as to whether I can use my current engine?

The alternative is to purchase a new engine, which I will do in a heartbeat if I can find one. 

Jim :dhorse:

My understanding of 7.J.10 is that if the motor is identical to motor produced prior to 1956 it is OK 

Also in 7.J.10
Above components made after 1955 and exact reproductions may be considered legal in Vintage classes if they offer no competitive advantage.

G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm