Author Topic: Frame Issue  (Read 31085 times)

Offline 56KHK

• New folks
Frame Issue
« on: August 31, 2016, 05:10:49 AM »
I am a fresh face and a bit ignorant, awaiting arrival of my 2016 rule book.  I am building a blown fuel 56 KHK in an attempt to run in the MPS/VBF class.  Can I use a 1972 frame?  The only frame modification is altered front downcomer legs to accommodate the blower and a 3"-4" stretch of the rear swingarm.  I believe I have the option to lengthen the swingarm by 10% of the stock wheelbase.  The 1972 frame is my concern.

Jim Tarleton :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Frame Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 10:19:27 AM »
Jim,
Send that question to the Motorcycle rules guy listed in the rule book
mcleishracing at gmail dot com
Derek should be able to help you out... officially
I think the vintage classes are just motors, and modified requires the same frame and motor manufacturer with some alterations allowed... but go to the horse for the right answer.... and then post here what he tells you.
Good luck with the project...
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 10:28:29 AM »
CAUTION ALERT!!!

Stainless gave you the name of the SCTA guy -- and you've asked a question in the BMST thread.  That would imply you need to ask for AMA-type rules.

Right, Stainless?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 56KHK

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 11:14:32 AM »
Rats.  I posted in the wrong place.  It is the SCTA tech guy I need to contact.  Give me some time and I will eventually catch on.  New guys asking dumb questions must drive you guys nuts.  I must admit I am having a lot of fun with this project.  I am enjoying reducing my kids' inheritance.  Wait until they find out I spent it for a ride on the Salt Flats.

Jim :dhorse:

Offline salt27

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 11:34:52 AM »
The only frame modification is altered front downcomer legs to accommodate the blower

Jim Tarleton :cheers:

If this is a perimeter frame you may have to work around those legs to stay in Modified Production.

7.F "Perimeter-type frame engine cradle tubes must remain unmodified".

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 12:49:53 PM »
Every one that races Land Speed was a beginner at some point.   This forum has provided me with a wealth of knowledge and insight. Keep the questions coming.

Joe

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 12:56:01 PM »
Joe's right -- don't feel too dorky when you ask a question-- 'cause one of us has already cornered the dorky-market for that particular subject.  At least come up with new dorkitude, okay?

Seriously -- welcome to the Forum.  Don't be afraid -- you'll get a smart-acura response now and then, but mostly it'll be folks trying their dangdest to help you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 56KHK

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 01:50:09 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I have wanted to run BSF's since I saw a picture of Bluebird in that pond.  Life carried me in a different direction.  Now I am retired and my wife left me for a younger man :-D (poor fool), so I can at last fulfill my dream.  I love Harleys and I had this KHK engine that had been in my care for over twenty years.  I saw one of those little Aisne blowers and i figured they would be a perfect match.  Being an engineer, I figured it would be a breeze.  I quickly found out there is NOTHING better than experience.  I have enjoying the people I meet as much as the build.  I hope I can pass it forward, if I ever know enough to pass forward.

Jim :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 03:21:50 PM »
Jim, where are you?  How 'bout putting your location (town, state) in the profile page info so we can figure out if you're close enough to visit and drink all of your beer?  Not me, you understand, but there are some on here that'd do such. . . :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 06:39:00 PM »
The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask!  :x Jim, hurry or Slim will have you living in BF, Egypt!  :-o :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 07:10:20 PM »
Too late!!! :evil: :evil: :-D :evil: :-D :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JimL

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 07:55:03 PM »
Be careful on that swing arm stretch calculation.  You are only allowed to add 10% from the most forward original axle slot position measured to the most rearward new axle position after the stretch. 

For example:  Say...you had a 50" stock wheelbase (at that position) and the chain adjustment range (slot length) were 3", the result would mean a max swing arm stretch of 2".

It's wheelbase extension, not swingarm length.  I learned it the hard way.

Offline 56KHK

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 09:27:13 PM »
Thank you for that heads up.  I was going to stretch it way too much.  I need to speed a weekend or two with that rule book (on its way) to avoid stupid mistakes.  I spent years reading the CFR's while sitting on the john.  I'll do the same with the rule book.  Shades of Smokey Yunick!

By the way, I live in Burgaw, NC.  Burgaw is an Indian word for "stinking mud".  I live on a 20 acre farm just outside of town.  It's just me, my dog Boo, two horses, and four pigs that are all retired with me.  I am somewhat hindered as a storm blew down my shop, and I am building this LSR in my kitchen - no kidding.  I will start on my new shop this fall.  Stuff happens when you think you are retired.

Jim :?

Offline tauruck

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 11:11:41 PM »
I lived like that once. :cheers:
Welcome Jim.
Bummer on the storm. :evil:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 01:28:38 AM »
Well I guess I am psychedelic... you said you were waiting for a rule book and that means SCTA.... the AMA is online.... Did not even look at the thread location.
 You will need to go in to your profile and fix your location... at least he didn't locate you in Nobals, Nevada...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O