Author Topic: Any News from BMST?  (Read 25270 times)

Offline TrickyDicky

Re: Any News from BMST?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2016, 08:03:27 AM »
Eva upped her own class record(s) earlier in the week (subject to official confirmation by the FIM and/or AMA).

248.746 mph (kilometre) and 248.700 mph (mile).

Fractionally over 400 km/h for those who like round numbers.

Offline maj

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2016, 09:55:01 AM »
Weather was perfect very mild to zero winds most of the week, temps fairly warm at up to 95

Lines moved well, not a lot of waiting , i think one of the smoothest run events yet :cheers: to all involved

Track was still showing the salt is not well, but the track preparation has made a pretty good surface to run on

Salt is sort of grainy this year and still thin if we siphoned our water tank directly onto the surface it cut through the salt to mud in a couple of seconds ,other pondages near the flats and all the way to SLC were low level i think this dry season is generally helping but a light rain may help the surface at the moment as its getting dryer than ideal

Its a yr where the heavy bikes (and from Speedweek results cars too) ,  can make the most of the surface some of the much better designed bikes to ours were not getting there power down

Our heavy bikes did ok, but the busa was still 12mph down on 2012 best due to wheelspin
Kim ran the busa to a best of 244mph and a 241mph record
Jim took the bodywork off and ran a best of 224mph with a 217mph record
I ran 2 classes, the busa to a best of 246mph and record of 243,
and the naked 600 ran same speed both ways for a 180mph record

Big thanks to Delvene, Linnea, Ken and crew and in tech to Drew, Curtis and everyone who helped in some pretty warm conditions   

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2016, 10:08:36 PM »
Thanks for the report Maj, and a big congratulations on your big speeds and records!

That is a major bummer about the thin salt. I sure hope it is better next year.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline comet

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2016, 12:07:24 AM »
Guy Martin was not there. I hear he may be at the Cook Shootout.
The salt seemed good from what I heard talking to racers at our marker. Quite a few records were set, and a lot of good speeds were clicked. The weather held until after the racing with a couple of rain showers coming in late afternoon and overnight on Thursday.

So, who's up for next year then???

Offline DRW

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2016, 01:11:25 PM »
Comet, Im up for next year, Drove 11 hours straight , Back to Calif. All I could think about is my next run !
Whew , What an infectious sport .
DW 
Doesnt Mean That Much To me, To Mean That Much To You !

Offline comet

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2016, 02:10:34 PM »
 :cheers:

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2016, 03:34:08 PM »
Comet..........I came home with extra beer............missed you again :-(

Hiro posted on FB that he will be back next year..........so I assume he is physically on the mend :-) :-) :-)
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline mtkawboy

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2016, 05:04:12 PM »
The salt was very strange this year.  there is a thin layer on top with a mud layer under it and then more salt under the mud layer.   Not sure what needs to be done to get rid of that layer of mud.  A well respected authority told me it needs several good days of really hard rains and then a drying out session and the salt would be fabulous. But he asked me not to use his name publicly due to all the gloom and doom folks on this forum lately.

Offline joea

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2016, 08:33:08 PM »
congrats to BMST participants...AND to BMST "STAFF"... from all accounts...the
best run event to date...kudos to you all

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2016, 03:51:12 PM »
it was a great event once we got past the registration line on Saturday!!  That is the one area I hope they are discussing for how to make things better next year.

Offline **RP**

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2016, 09:30:23 AM »
When and where will the new AMA records set last week be posted?
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com

Offline comet

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2016, 03:15:03 AM »
Hi Scrambler.
Noooooooooo, I missed the beer. Flip. Sorry about that. We were sort of busy down at mile 1, and I got zero time off for good behavior. Perhaps I wasn't as well behaved as I thought though.  :evil:

Next time buddy. We will definitely catch up next time.  :cheers:

Hiro, what a man! It was so good to see him back out there later on that day. Man is he tough!

DW, yes it is isn't it. But the people are even more infectious. The salt flats get me every time I drive beside them. More so as I drive onto them. I still remember the first time I set foot on that salt. The feeling of awe. The tingle. a sense of achievement just to actually set foot on there. I know that sounds a bit dramatic, but it is how I felt. Every time I set foot back on there I feel the same. But as impressive and imposing a landscape that it is, it is the people that bring it to life. I could photograph that place everyday for a year and it would be a fascinating muse of constant change. But it is all of you that make it such an enjoyable and memorable arena full of life.

Now then, google, flights...........
 :-D

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2016, 12:26:05 PM »
 I had a great time at BMST '16. After so many wet years and a cancellation this year redeemed it all. The weather was perfect all week and even the boat ramp was dry. The salt was bone shaking rough to and from the track but the short course was in fair condition. Registration was a two hour horror but track waits dropped so much after day two I could hot lap without even stopping at prestage. I run a 500cc side car and ran with the dead weights as well as a passenger. My speeds were off from previous years but by the last day I had the bike sorted out and tied the record. We are definitely coming back.
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG

Offline DRW

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2016, 08:45:54 PM »
Comet, Boy dont I know what you mean, For me , Its only 2014 & 2016, But I had a weird thing,The 2015 Cancel  !
There were times and you know, We all read it here and a lot of other places, Frankly there were times that I thought, What if its 5 years, Or 10 years, What if we cant go back,, And then, Just like that , There we were a month ago,  I have to say because of all that talk I really felt more this time , Plus in 2014 it was my first year and I just couldnt wrap my head around it all . 
So 2016 . I made more friends, Did more , Ran Better, But I know everyone will agree, You get out of the Truck on Friday or Sat Look around like ,, Oh Hell Yes Bonneville, And in the blink of an eye, Four or Five days goes by .  Whew...
And I cant tell you how many people like me were planning things for next year in there mind on the drive home .
Bonneville, Its everything you think it is ,   And More......................
DW

Doesnt Mean That Much To me, To Mean That Much To You !