Author Topic: Winters Quick Change spool rear end oil out breather???  (Read 4123 times)

Offline entropy

Winters Quick Change spool rear end oil out breather???
« on: August 26, 2016, 11:26:32 AM »
TFA's no-suspension lakester was "interesting" to drive at the recent SW.  It bounced along, going very straight until it hit the man-sized bumps at about the 4, then it bounced even more.
However, on the 1st pass we experienced about 4oz+/- gear oil out the breather tube (which we were not using in 2014).  A Gatorade catch bottle solved the oil loss but adding oil back into the Winters is just a lil problematic with 420# lead ballast in the nose.

Some have said that the factory oil tube fitting is located directly over the ring gear maybe getting oil slung right into it???

Does anyone have a solution for this?  I am selling the lakester and want to give the buyer some help in solving the issue.
The car is VERY fun to drive, but adding the oil back after each pass would be a drag.
Thanks in advance for your kind help,
Karl

Offline RichFox

Re: Winters Quick Change spool rear end oil out breather???
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 12:09:20 PM »
I would guess that you could block the factory fitting and drill and tap to relocate a new fitting elsewhere? The breather on my V8 QC is on the cover
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:12:28 PM by RichFox »

Offline bbarn

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 01:14:56 PM »
We ended up not using the standard/factory ports because they are in line with the pinion. I drilled and tapped the inspection cap (black aluminum bung) on the right rear and ran a vent line from there. This keeps the opening away from the path of slung oil.

Never had a drop of gear oil all the way through 365mph...
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 03:28:03 PM »
  I would suggest calling Winters and ask for Beaver.  (717) 764-9844
  I can tell you this much, when I ordered mine ten or so years ago (as a complete flange to flange unit) it came with a oem type vent in the driver side axle tube and nothing else.  Beaver called all the shots including the tru-trac rear end (which for My car is the cats meow) and also talked Me out of adding a external pump and cooler for it.  Are you sure You are not overfilling it? Are You using the tube seals near the Q.C. case?   Maybe a thin synthetic gear oil?  Call Beaver and He will take care of You.
                                                                                              Bob Drury
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 03:30:48 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 03:29:19 PM »
   On all the quickchages I run in my cars and build for others I always locate the breather in the axle housing tube. This location eliminates any posibility of oil coming out and works perfectly to relive the preasure from building. A simple 1/8 pipe thread and related brass fitting with a nipple solves the problem perfectly.

Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline entropy

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 05:45:54 AM »
THANKS GUYS!!!
I'm kind of surprised that we made such a dumb mistake as to use that fitting site and not even have a catch can, given that its a very known issue.
Oh well, i'll just add it to the l-o-ng list of other dumb scheisse i've done.
At least i can give the new owners yr info and the fix is very simple
Karl

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 11:51:40 AM »
Only a little akin to the subject . . .

On our 9" with the stock vent on the axle tube, we used to get a misting of lube across the back of the car.  We then ran a hose up from it to a vent in the trunk capped with a small K&N filter.  Seems to have solved the problem.  I don't know if it's because of the raised location or the filter.  I don't care.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records