Author Topic: Ground clearance  (Read 6732 times)

Offline Esslinger Eng

• Esslinger Engineering
Ground clearance
« on: August 20, 2016, 10:20:33 PM »
If I may ask, what sort of ground clearance is adequate on a suspended ~200-250mph lakester that will be raced at both El Mirage and Bonneville?
Brian

*** The above information is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Esslinger Engineering, Inc. ***

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Ground clearance
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 02:34:34 PM »
It depends on how heavy you are, how much suspension travel you have, how firm or soft your chosen damper & spring rates are, & how good/bad the courses are.

We are ridged mounted in front & suspended in the rear (long wheel base helps).
We run about 2" to 2.5" at both El Mirage & Bonneville. Best speeds to date are 216 & 241 at said venues.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 08:07:02 PM »
Is it flat bottom or round bottom? and as Mike said "Does it have suspension?"

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Esslinger Eng

• Esslinger Engineering
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 04:18:31 PM »
I'm trying to steer away from a flat vs round bottom debate...  I was guessing somewhere between 2 & 3 inches of ground clearance would suffice at ride height with a mechanical limit of around 1/2" to 1" of clearance with both front and rear suspensions bottomed out and the tires loaded as usual.  Does that sound doable then?
Brian

*** The above information is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Esslinger Engineering, Inc. ***

Offline krusty

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 04:51:38 PM »
Yes. Our "high car" (rear engine modified roadster) is a combination of flat and rounded and has approximately 2" of clearance on the bellypan, which is full length, but not the full width of the body. I run 1/2" to 3/4" of bump travel (mechanically limited) on double adjustable Ohlins dirt racing coilover shocks. We set records in B/GRMR and B/FRMR last week with mid 250 averages on the poor quality last mile and a half. Car has exit of 264 with C engine on better salt.   Edit: 3800 - 4100# (depends on engine E,D,C,B).

vic
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 04:56:33 PM by krusty »

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 11:18:28 PM »
Consider the problems if a flat tire occurs; by there look most don't. Just a thought.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro