Author Topic: How were the 2016 courses?  (Read 54999 times)

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
Re: How were the 2016 courses?
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2016, 11:43:59 AM »
Let me add that Johhnie came to visit the announce trailer and ask me to help him find a drill for his jets.  Johnnie, did you ever find that 3/16" drill?  I noticed that your run after asking for it -- showed you'd discovered a new way to make the bike go slower. :roll:

For a H-D Fatboy I was happy, we had to license up from scratch again, I wanted to get my "C" Current. So we stared out at 148, then 157 then 164, and then rest of our runs were over 170. I ended up with a 175 sticker on the handlebars, and a "B" License, and yes we found the drill (thanks to your announcement Jon,) and we qualified against the class record @ nearly 178. We didn't back that up thou, not because of the race course, but because we nicked the engine a little on the qualifying  run, new rings will fix that thou. So all and all a good Speed Week.
Thanks again for helping find that drill bit. I'll add a little more fuel the next time I drill that jet bigger :roll:

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2016, 12:36:37 PM »
What is the point of the poll?. In the end how is it going to change anything?

DW

Hi, Dan -

Ideally, it should condense the consensus view expressed by members of the forum who choose to participate.  The method and sample size is probably going to be inadequate to perform that function with any verifiability, but it also serves to further the discussion.

All accounts indicate that SCTA-BNI did a great job with the hand they were dealt.  In the end, and speaking personally, any change I would like to see would be action on the part of the BLM to assure the volunteers and racers a better surface to start with.  Collecting testimonials and comments here may or may not change anything.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2016, 06:03:44 PM »
I wonder -- if these comments are being seen and digested by Utah Alliance folks so that the information can be sent on to those legislators and others that were visiting the salt last week.  Anybody know?

Good point but IMO we cannot rely on other people to do our work, so with that said please go to this page   http://www.save-the-salt.org/take-action/   and you can find your representative’s contact info. Send them the same information you have talked about on this Topic and let them know the salt flats are not getting better and are still deteriorating.

That is what I am doing.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2016, 08:52:49 PM »

Talked to a nurse today about my blood red eyeball, its a broken blood vessel and it should be back to normal in a week or so, No treatment needed, eye will heal itself, just looks bad. She thinks, and so do I, that it's a result of the car shaking so much. It was terrible, and we have full stock car products  suspension in front and coil overs in back set fairly soft. I had to turn out.

JL222

I must of hit the same bumps you did, my head got rattled pretty good also, no broken blood vessels though. I gps at 180mph when i hit the bad stuff. Hope your eye heals quick.
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Offline will6er

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2016, 09:58:01 PM »
I ended up with loose nuts and a loose and wallowed-out upper control arm mount which shortened my week.

Will Willis

Offline edinlr

« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2016, 11:51:01 PM »
When I pulled off after a bad run on the short course, I noticed that the salt had peeled away from the dirt surface underneath.  The salt was about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick at most.  It seems I remember people talking about when it was measured in feet, not fractions of an inch.

Also, I noticed that I did not have nearly as much salt accumulating on my bike, trailer, and truck as I did in 2013, I guess this was due to it being much drier this year.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2016, 01:08:49 AM »
   I spent quite a bit of time on Sunday and Monday in the staging lanes of both the long and short courses.  On the short course one of the starting line workers was walking vehicle to vehicle the first ten cars +or_ in each lane telling each driver "its really loose out there.
  Talking to several drivers on the long course they were less kind... on the throttle, off the throttle, on the throttle , off the throttle the whole way.
  One of My friends roadster which I built the chassis on I finally said to Him " next pass after the second on/off throttle turn out for Christ's sake Your just beating the shit out of the car and probably over reving the motor".   The problem is that We all have waited three years for this and I think We tend to think the Salt is going to miraculously get better.  From My standpoint the lack of wind and smokey skies from the wildfire down near Ely doomed the Salt drying more.
  When we left lands end and dropped down on the salt Friday Morning, within the next 1/4 mile I could see how the salt was already rutting up and I always drive wide of the Oklahoma Land Rushers to kind of get a feel for the salt.
  Of the several Studebakers that I have given advice to over the last seventeen years this is number one rule.  All Ballast between front and rear axles.
                                                                                                                                                                  No ballast behind rear axle...ever
                                                                                                                                                                   All ballast low as possible
                                                                                                                                                                   Make ballast racks easy to access
                                                                                                                                                                    What works today may not tomorrow
                                                                                                                                                                    add ballast until the wheels don't spin in High gear
                                                                                                                                                                     the damper the salt the more ballast You Need
                                                                                                                                                                     On a sedan start out 50/50 front rear and go from there
   If you come the next year and the salt is firm and dry  pull a couple hundred pounds and make a half pass.  That's enough for a good spark plug reading and to figure out where the weight needs to be.  If the car is nosing around you need more to the front... if it doesn't respond to steering input  shift more to the rear.
  And if You are a newby please realize you steer with the throttle, NOT the steering wheel.
   I run My 53 Stude coupe (238 mph) at 5200 # (one ton of ballast)  Macdonald and Pitts 311 mph Firebird  and Dave Davidsons 307 mph roadster each weigh in at or near 6200#
Bob Drury

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2016, 09:52:14 AM »
Was over at Mr. Bills place yesterday--where Al Eshenbaugh holds forth---Fast Freddy D. dropped by and dropped off his liners damaged alum. nose, that was hare lipped on long course at around the 4 at about 280, for Al to massage back to respectability.

he said he hit some rough stuff-- there was a loud BANG---he clicked it off and put out the chutes automatically---he thought he had killed the engine---
When others came up to the car they asked him what he had hit--that he had flying parts left on the course--turns out it was the front part of the belly pan that had broken off the nose piece.

The crazy part he was the one dragging the long course-- leaving it best he could aided by his many years of experience doing so.

The salt just was not there to do any better job on providing a good coarse---his coarse --hair lipped his car--that is not poetic justice at all.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 07:55:08 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Ro Yale

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2016, 11:39:44 PM »
I'm just damn grateful I got to make some runs. We didn't have all our ducks in a row so it was a great experience for us. Thanks to everyone involved including all the spectators I saw there.
Racers Race and Whiners Whine!

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2016, 10:56:46 PM »
   It was great to be able too run and be with friends.  I came much closer to spinning than I ever have or ever want to again. Went out and tried it a second time on a fresh course to see if it was a fluke, it wasn't, same result, chute out before the 3. Picked up the wire on the long course Friday and looked closely at the course and saw the reason. Worst conditions since 05. Still glad I was there and ran. just hope for better next time.
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline TugBoat123

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2016, 06:46:45 AM »
I don't have any experience to reflect upon, as 2016 was my rookie year, but on the last day (Friday) they had all the tracks shut down except for the long track. I shut down after roughly 2.25 miles. I hit a couple dips/bumps in the track and it made me uncomfortable. I decided I was finished. Putting my foot into the gas pedal felt great, but I had to give up after those couple of bumps. It was a great year though. New car. My dad (the car builder/owner/primary driver) got to drive it a decent amount. 4 people got licensed using it. I can't complain. Let's pray the salt stays solid. Thanks to all the folks who work so hard to make the event a possibility.

Offline TugBoat123

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2016, 07:04:34 AM »
One more thing. Some people commented on the road from the pits up to the starting lines, and the return roads. I totally agree. I sat in the car and steered it many times as it was being towed down those roads. I got thrown around like crazy. I had my head smashed into the top of the roll cage multiple times throughout the week. When I got back to Michigan, the extent of my bruises was revealed. My body was covered in bruises from the abuse I took while the car was being towed. It is an unsprung lakester. I'm afraid the car took a beating more than I did. We are going to build a tow-dolly-like device for next year. I want at least the front wheels off the ground. I don't want somebody sitting in that car steering it and running the brakes. Too much pain and trouble. If this year was any kind of a sign, next year will be rough too. I'm just happy there is salt to run on though.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2016, 08:34:47 AM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2016, 10:58:57 AM »
"If this year was any kind of a sign, next year will be rough too."

I don't think it works that way.  Every year is different and unpredictable.  Even from meet  to meet during the same year.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2016, 02:01:53 PM »
"If this year was any kind of a sign, next year will be rough too."

I don't think it works that way.  Every year is different and unpredictable.  Even from meet  to meet during the same year.

I'd go as far as to say hour to hour.  WOS 2014 had me in the same queue line, but on two entirely different tracks.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: