Author Topic: How were the 2016 courses?  (Read 55002 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: How were the 2016 courses?
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2016, 09:12:03 AM »
Larry Volk made a great point when he said the best salt was a SMALL patch on the ROOKIE return road---"All of it used to be like that, hard and smooth".  Since we were going through "lisc up"  we stayed over there drove across it after every run---it did not change, that we could tell, Sat through Tue.  What brought me back to the Salt  in '99 was Reading about the pumping.  Just since then I have seen a slight improvement for a little while  ( probably was when the pumped those big tonnages) then a decided decline in quality.

Wow---Joe Amo, can ride FAST, pass gas, organize his thoughts and "put pen to paper"!!  We do not hear from him often-- but so well to the point when we do!!!!!!!!!  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 11:00:04 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jl222

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2016, 08:03:16 PM »

Talked to a nurse today about my blood red eyeball, its a broken blood vessel and it should be back to normal in a week or so, No treatment needed, eye will heal itself, just looks bad. She thinks, and so do I, that it's a result of the car shaking so much. It was terrible, and we have full stock car products  suspension in front and coil overs in back set fairly soft. I had to turn out.

JL222

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2016, 08:42:34 PM »
I wonder -- if these comments are being seen and digested by Utah Alliance folks so that the information can be sent on to those legislators and others that were visiting the salt last week.  Anybody know?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2016, 09:07:53 PM »
I wonder -- if these comments are being seen and digested by Utah Alliance folks so that the information can be sent on to those legislators and others that were visiting the salt last week.  Anybody know?

The problem I fear is that the legislators came out, saw salt, saw folks racing on it, and walked away wondering, "So what's the problem?"

One of the reasons I raised my hand last December at PRI when Tom Burkland proposed staying off the salt for another year.  It might have bankrupted BNI to do so, but to the untrained eye, things looked normal.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2016, 09:14:55 PM »
Chris said:  "The problem I fear is that the legislators came out, saw salt, saw folks racing on it, and walked away wondering, "So what's the problem?""

Precisely what I'm hoping to change by them seeing what the racers they saw running have to say about it. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2016, 10:16:35 PM »
The Rookie course was firmer but rough, the Short course was faster for me. On the long course it was so bumpy my chute came out about the 3.5 at over 190mph all by itself,,, talk about a SUPRISE, next run on the long course I made it past the 3 and hit a dip and soft stuff, air dam hit salt and came back muddy, very thin and loose... had to abort run ,, went back to short course, very bumpy and slick.. My morning runs much better than my afternoon runs,,, GOT MY A LICENSE on the Short Course at 3 mile 206.917  with exit over 209... all good for my first trip to the Salt... My engine pulls strong to 9300, but could not go past 7000 rpm as uncontrollable wheel spin at 7000 in any gear.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2016, 12:27:24 AM »
Im sure SCTA did everything they could to provide the best courses possible, Made a run on the first day on the long course got sideways at 180mph, let my partner drive because i knew the course sucked and he spun at 205mph. I just wonder how long it may take to get the salt back to a decent condition :? :?
lvsalt - sorry for the confusion - I'm attempting to set up a poll -

Chris
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 12:29:06 AM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline mergatroyd

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2016, 12:32:45 AM »
Chris said:  "The problem I fear is that the legislators came out, saw salt, saw folks racing on it, and walked away wondering, "So what's the problem?""

Precisely what I'm hoping to change by them seeing what the racers they saw running have to say about it. :roll:

I heard Louise's comment on the radio that a legislator-type commented on the rough ride during the tour along with a statement to the effect of "Racers are racing, what's the problem." Louise told the world that she explained to the legislator the link from rough access roads to deteriorating salt surface and cited the number of racers that had gone home early due to the surface.
I have no idea what I'm doing... but it seems to be working!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2016, 01:05:35 AM »
I just set up a poll - the comments are locked on it, but if you would like to vote, I've included instructions.  By locking the poll, we can keep the comments all on one thread - this one, to be precise.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,16271.msg295651/topicseen.html#msg295651

Offline ratpatrol66

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2016, 04:07:13 AM »
After the drivers meeting I had 4 people load up in my car for a trip down the short course. I went 80mph and it was rough in a 94 Buick Roadmaster. I can't imagine what it would be like in any race car over 120?

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2016, 09:44:28 AM »
I made 12 ( according to SSS 24) runs all week and the first one was most defiantly the roughest, especially in the shutdown area of the short course.

The folks working the courses and dragging at night, did one heck of a job with what they had to work with. I think they all deserve a big applause from all of us that ran at Speed Week.

From what I could tell the salt was getting better as the week progressed. It was much dryer later in the week, and for the most part, smoother to run on. I never did figure out the turnouts thou, seems like I only found the worst pressure ridges I could find to get to the return road.

All things considered, we did more than we came for, so I'm happy we were there. Here's hoping for more improvements for the salt conditions in the years to come, it really needs it.

Rouse 
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2016, 10:08:08 AM »
Let me add that Johhnie came to visit the announce trailer and ask me to help him find a drill for his jets.  Johnnie, did you ever find that 3/16" drill?  I noticed that your run after asking for it -- showed you'd discovered a new way to make the bike go slower. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2016, 10:35:00 AM »
The SCTA did an admirable job with what little mother nature gave them to work with.  :cheers: IMHO, the track was not race ready for all out efforts. Some, as always, had some success but would have done much better with a better track. While shredding tires may look and sound cool - not really the safest way to race!  :-( When we have to drill pilot holes for tent stakes, have a ten mile oval and can race jet cars again I will consider the salt restored!  :x :x :x [Probably not in my lifetime - if ever!]
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2016, 10:40:07 AM »
Chris, I marked fair, we ran, set a record, but had a spin, constantly tightened bolts that rattled loose.  But I could not mark it poor because we ran, set a record....
The courses were what they were... they have been better and they have been worse.  
A little rain would help them, I think they might have dried too fast this year  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline dw230

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2016, 10:42:02 AM »
What is the point of the poll?. In the end how is it going to change anything?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth