Author Topic: How were the 2016 courses?  (Read 55001 times)

Offline sdbandit

• New folks
Re: How were the 2016 courses?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2016, 06:04:39 PM »
If the course's where so slippery why did George Poteet have his fastest 4 mile speed ever at a Speedweek

Offline JC Sparks

• www.JCSPARKS1.com
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2016, 07:26:00 PM »
 I believe the Speed Demon has traction control. You could hear it working.  It's a very nice looking car also.   JC
Nitromethane is liquid heroin.

Offline joea

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2016, 08:05:39 PM »
could be he had a fast 4 mile...cuz he had his newest and most improved car to date...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2016, 09:42:31 PM »
Nancy and I were shooting the breeze with George as we were in the waiting lines, and he said he'd asked his crew to take out a bunch of horsepower if he made another run.  He said he burned the tires down on that 442 run.

Sure sounded cool, though, even with the TC popping and chopping. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JR529

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2016, 11:00:28 PM »
Why would the SCTA not be able to layout a course in the same place the Cook course is?  First come first serve?  Just asking. 

Under normal circumstances the "international course" runs through the starting line of traditional course #2 mile 0 then goes right through the SCTA timing tower location between traditional courses 1 and 2 while heading towards the end of SCTA course #1.

This year SCTA attempted to get two long courses but the start of the #1 course was just to poor to stand up. So the pits were moved on top, even a little in front of the old #1 course, almost to the traditional timing tower location and the traditional course #2 became the only long course.

I guess the SCTA could theoretically put their courses anywhere they please but courtesy and respect keeps the different events from screwing up each other. The Speedweek courses get more use/abuse than any other real estate on the salt so sitting them on top of the international course could destroy it for the rest of the season and that would not be cool. Also, the international course has to be smooth, straight and loooong so they dont have a lot of options. The Speedweek courses have to be tough durable all else. They see more use before lunch on day 1 than the international course sees all season. SW would destroy the single international course in a matter of days, screwing the pooch for everyone for the rest of the year. So all the interested parties communicate their needs long before the events so all can get their respective programs done.

Regarding the course, We ran the Long course with our roadster and got a rookie into the 2 club with a pass at 242 mph but when Greg Waters ran the car and said it moved around more than any he has ever had and he probably has a hundred runs in the car on the salt. So that that for what its worth.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2016, 01:21:27 AM »
Wow---that makes me one proud papa!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline mergatroyd

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2016, 01:39:39 AM »
I still consider myself a newbie... but the access roads beat my bike worse than the pot-holed test road I have access to locally. More broken pieces and backed out bolts than I care to admit.

None on the course, because we didn't run well enough to leave parts there... I towed at 15mph.
I have no idea what I'm doing... but it seems to be working!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2016, 10:13:56 AM »
Thanks for enlightening us guys too far away to attend the meet.
Very good read. :cheers:

Offline turborick

• Go as fast as we can with as little as we can
    • http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2016, 11:58:36 AM »
the most treacherous...greasy...bumpy course of all time...at least that I have been on
since 1991

yeah some big heavy cars could get down the course...especially if 4 wheel drive...

believe me they all could have gone much faster on a good course

yes some bikes did ok...

but believe me... faster..higher hp stuff ...well...very very trecherous

the salt is very different....even with hot dry days...its was "greasy"...not a good composition/matrix....

dont take my word for it...

look at the log sheet....count how many turned out early....how many spins...

and incidences....such as veterans like George Fields...who made a pass sat and was very upset at the
conditions of the course...who pulled plug and left by monday...that is someone who can and has driven
on nearly anything Bonn. has had to offer...until now..

or Fast Freddie D. who preps the courses...breaking the nose on his liner on one of the bumps....

its going to be a chassis tuners game more so than ever in my opinion

additionally ...many heard well sorted teams like Demon...REALLY working their traction control overtime
and still loosing tires...

yes the salt has been slick before, and bumpy before....this salt lacked structural integrity like I have never seen...

like i said ...look at the run logs....turn outs... incidences...etc

anyone see Nishes runs..?..have a look ....they are one of the most sorted and experienced teams out their...

I agree with Joe this was the slickest and bumpiest I have driven on
Rick Yacoucci

The new Nebulous Theorem 3.5 #788
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2016, 12:44:40 PM »
Thanx to John for describing the course layouts.  Made sense to me, so musta been a simple description.

Can't argue with Rick and Joe (the hero of my best Bonneville story) as they have a whole lot more runs than we have had.

We didn't run this year, but still cherish being the first one to complete the Baja 5 on #1 in 2005.

The best news was that we had a meet this year.  Records are great, but even greater is seeing our friends from all over the world.

Stan
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 12:47:13 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2016, 12:16:28 AM »
Yes we got to race,
yes the courses were rough,
yes we had to chase loose bolts around the car,
yes they worked on the courses at night trying to make them better
yes the rough course contributed to a lot of spins and turnouts, including ours,
yes the volunteers did a great job with what they had to work with
yes we would do it again  :cheers:

yes I looked for Stan without finding him, guess because the taco and ice cream place was closed it was harder
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline mergatroyd

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2016, 12:18:37 AM »
yes we would do it again  :cheers:
I second this.
I have no idea what I'm doing... but it seems to be working!

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2016, 12:25:30 AM »
I wholeheartedly agree with Stainless, except I did run into Jim (Stan). He was taking pictures at the starting line. I believe the courses actually got better (groomed) as time went on, but you had to run in the am to take advantage of this.
There's just not much salt there anymore.

Willi
Kraut Bros.
Who Has More Fun?

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2016, 02:34:34 AM »
Nowhere to run for two years and there's bitching and moaning because the salt wasn't perfect?  I'm surprised no one said the salt wasn't white enough.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline joea

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2016, 07:39:33 AM »
Uh Norton ....the Title of this thread is "How were the courses"

that's is a question

These are the valid answers ..!!!!!!

No need sugar coating it ...!!!

that's part of the problem

It serves no good purpose to sugar coat this for those in a position to do something about it

additionally for those running on it...

Ie when I got to the line ..starter said "so have you heard about the courses"...

and gave me the run down...

they also described REALITY ...

When Rick Vesco accepted the Bob Higbee award...he sternly warned everyone about the fragile situation...mud poking through and if anyone sees anything amiss to report it immediately to officials ....

this thread is an answer to a question ...

SCTA did an amazing job with the situation ...

Ps I would like to talk to Sam W. about the current salt situation ...but I can't
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 08:19:13 AM by joea »