Author Topic: How were the 2016 courses?  (Read 55000 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
How were the 2016 courses?
« on: August 19, 2016, 11:21:08 PM »
Rex made a comment on the picture post which I think needs further discussion on a separate post -

. . . I drained my cooler onto the salt and this hole appeared at about 30 seconds of the drain water hitting the salt. This is in the pits and the salt is not more than 3/4 inch thick . . .

Rex

We've come off of nearly 2 years without a public event at Bonneville.  This year, SCTA-BNI ran only 3 courses with 650 entries.

Who raced, and what were your assessments of the salt?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: How were the 2016 courses?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 11:25:39 PM »
First:  NOT 650 entries.  That number was listed and then retracted, sorta.  About 450 pre-entries and a bunch more on site and so on, so maybe 650 eventual entries/changes.

This morning Cathy Butler, on her 600 cc bike, couldn't back up the qualifier from yesterday.  The data showed that as she was riding in high gear -- she was having 33% wheelslip.  LOTS of vehicles slowed in the fifth mile.  And I could go on and say how bad things were --

Then Rob and George and Danny and so on whip out with runs in the high threes and low fours -- so what about the bad course?

I didn't make any runs so can't tell you for positive.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wickedwagens

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 11:35:54 PM »
I ran on the rookie course and it was really good from what I could tell.  There ere places where you could see the mud coming through on the return road.  I heard from lots that the other courses were not the best. 
1968 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
G/CFALT  106.643 MPH  8/2016    G/CGALT  113.131 MPH  9/2016
G/CBGALT  169.462  MPH  8/2021    G/CBFALT  146.715  MPH  8/2017
G/CBGC  158.242  MPH  9/2017   H/CBGC  94.334 MPH  8/2018
H/CPRO  93.383 MPH  8/2018   H/CBFALT  101.282 MPH 9/2018
H/CBGALT  120.591 MPH 9/2018
Top Speed 170.726 MPH
36hp VW 100 mph club 9/2019 102.319 MPH

Offline joea

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 12:04:46 AM »
the most treacherous...greasy...bumpy course of all time...at least that I have been on
since 1991

yeah some big heavy cars could get down the course...especially if 4 wheel drive...

believe me they all could have gone much faster on a good course

yes some bikes did ok...

but believe me... faster..higher hp stuff ...well...very very trecherous

the salt is very different....even with hot dry days...its was "greasy"...not a good composition/matrix....

dont take my word for it...

look at the log sheet....count how many turned out early....how many spins...

and incidences....such as veterans like George Fields...who made a pass sat and was very upset at the
conditions of the course...who pulled plug and left by monday...that is someone who can and has driven
on nearly anything Bonn. has had to offer...until now..

or Fast Freddie D. who preps the courses...breaking the nose on his liner on one of the bumps....

its going to be a chassis tuners game more so than ever in my opinion

additionally ...many heard well sorted teams like Demon...REALLY working their traction control overtime
and still loosing tires...

yes the salt has been slick before, and bumpy before....this salt lacked structural integrity like I have never seen...

like i said ...look at the run logs....turn outs... incidences...etc

anyone see Nishes runs..?..have a look ....they are one of the most sorted and experienced teams out their...

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 12:24:24 AM »
Joe Amo has a good grasp of how poor the course was. I have been going to Bonneville since 1979. The best runs were early in the meet. The track was not good to start with but deteriorated to the consistency of SAND after the first 200 runs or so. You could run through it but you were a lot slower than what you should have run.
Better to have a event with a crappy course than NO event at all like the last two years.

Support Save the Salt!!!

We need to keep the pressure on the BLM.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jl222

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 12:35:17 AM »
  The 222 Camaro was running to rich on the long course but it was so bumpy the front end was shaking, even with low power
it was loose.
 Tuned much better we tried the short course, better but eyes had double vision and extremely loose conditions at 40% or less throttle in 1st,2nd and third gear I shifted into high sooner than usual as I thought any more power would spin me.
 High gear rpms were to low and fouled a plug, hoping it would clear up I stayed in it, still with a 209mph 1/4 mile time and on 7 cyl it slowly picked up to 228 mph and spun in the 3 mile.
 Pushing across the track I noticed a lot of loose salt.
 I was told by a dragger that the salt was just to dry and needed rain to bond and get hard,

2 cars pitted near us had extreme problems with the bumpy long course with vision problems, car jumping up and down and traction, one destroyed the heim joints putting front end out of alignment, they both called it quits.

I understand the draggers can't use the heavy railroad track drag as the salt is to thin, so they use lighter ones and can't get it as smooth as past years  Lets hope for more salt lay down.

the tires on un sprung cars being towed back on return road in front of our pits were hopping off the ground.

Speeds were way down on a lot of fast cars.

JL222

Offline Black Rose Racing

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 01:07:25 AM »

the salt is very different....even with hot dry days...its was "greasy"...not a good composition/matrix....

Intreped removes Magnesium Chloride and Potash, Mag Chloride is what binds the Salt and makes it hard and durable. Mag Chloride is used extensively on the Haul truck roads in the Gold mines outside of Elko, it helps keep the road base firm and hold up to 400+ ton haul trucks. Believe me it works very well. The stuff that is pumped back after it dries resembles table salt/sand. That was the lighter colored "loose" stuff that was prevalent at the end of the three through the four.

and incidences....such as veterans like George Fields...who made a pass sat and was very upset at the
conditions of the course...who pulled plug and left by monday...that is someone who can and has driven
on nearly anything Bonn. has had to offer...until now..

George actually sat out Saturday and waited for a better course on Sunday, one of the first 20 or so down Sunday morning (after record returns). Backed out of it shortly after entering the four. The wheel spin data at the four resembled a semi solid box rather than any kind of a line. Loaded up rather than possibly breaking drive components.

or Fast Freddie D. who preps the courses...breaking the nose on his liner on one of the bumps....

Fred ran over his front bodywork after it dove into a soft spot. BTW Fred worked very hard, long hours (as did others) trying to prep the best courses possible all throughout the event.

Joe, your observations are right on point. Thank you.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 08:53:35 AM »
XsStress #37: Five mile car and a three mile rough, bumpy course.
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,15631.msg294625.html#msg294625
First run/first course never over half throttle, wandered blue line to blue line. Second run/second course, half/three-quarter throttle till the 4 then full throttle got us a brutal snap spin at 229+!  :x :-P :cry:
How to get nicotine out of fire suit?  :-o :? :-o
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Texican

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 09:53:08 AM »

How to get nicotine out of fire suit?  shocked huh shocked

"Clorox 2" is a good product for all sorts of stains.
Get the affected area wet, then pour directly on and work in; a small nail brush might be helpful.
After a 5-10 minute soak, flush thoroughly, then use whatever cleaning method recommended by the garment manufacturer.
Good luck; happy to hear you stayed upright.

Jim

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 10:06:44 AM »
On the long course the white ended abruptly with the three to being brown & then started to turn to froth all the way to the 8. I expected it to come apart with the first few runs, as it did. It was located to the right of the usual place for course two leaving the old location to the left for the $$$$ people with the Cook course & that was dragged all the way to the freeway with an additional 3 1/2 miles of respectable salt with the first 1/2 mile of that being a little loose. I found less than one inch of crust everywhere I looked except inside the dyke, & I looked everywhere!
The big canal at the east end is still full & flowing to the plant.
  Sid.

Offline **RP**

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 11:16:41 AM »
Why would the SCTA not be able to layout a course in the same place the Cook course is?  First come first serve?  Just asking. 
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com

Offline bbarn

Re:
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 11:24:50 AM »
Wr made six passes and took two new sets of tires down to 300mph and less tires. Basically they would be good for license passes.

The salt seemed sharper than ever. Most fast cars lost chutes and chewed up tires. We were fortunate and only lost two chutes. One could probably be repaired.

Rob reported a "sandy" 4 mile on the 2nd day and a bumpy course all week.

Talking with DJ we think the reason our chutes faired so well is the ejecta from our tires was farther outside the flying chutes than other more narrow cars would be.

Can't blame the SCTA for the course, they can only work with what they had. They drug and moved the course as often as necessary.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline joea

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 11:32:55 AM »
I think we also need to understand......the "international course".....is NOT the Cook's course.......

its for anyone.......

i know over the years its been a bit "protected" for the bigger hitters that need a longer track

but even BUB ie the motorcycle only meet utilizes it.....

no one is "blaming" the SCTA

its amazing they were able to have a meet given the current condition of the salt

the salt is "greasier" than ever before ......

Offline JC Sparks

• www.JCSPARKS1.com
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 12:15:37 PM »
 When I took the Saturday morning drive down the track after the drivers meeting I though it felt kind of ruff, but I'm no judge of what is rough or smooth (I'm just the tuner).
I do know that the SCTA officials worked hard to keep the course as good as they could. And the SCTA officials that I had interactions with conducted themselves in a very professional and courteous way.  JC Sparks

Nitromethane is liquid heroin.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2016, 02:53:45 PM »
We stayed on the Rookie coarse until we got our A lisc.  Normally we would have gone to the long coarse  ASAP  to give our driver more miles in seat

Wed. when he was the first car out after record runs he took is first LC timing slip back for the starter signature---Bill came back and reported the starter said if you and the car AA qualified on that coarse they were doing dam good..

Bill reported that is was almost like an off-road experience---he ran again after noon an it wasn't as rough and he upped his speed about 15 MPH

We had lots of stuff to tighten up ---we changed to our trailer tires for the tow back to the pits to be able to run on 20 psi instead of 90 in the rear tires---helped some but still was VERY rough---car definitely was airborne at times  we had similar experience with the salt crust being way less that an inch thick   mud coming up through the cracks lots and lots of places---the salt composition is chemically changing what little there is left from the mining.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 01:17:05 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!