Author Topic: Does a license from El Mirage work at Bonneville too?  (Read 9582 times)

Offline Esslinger Eng

• Esslinger Engineering
Does a license from El Mirage work at Bonneville too?
« on: August 19, 2016, 10:02:35 PM »
Once a driver and car are licensed at El Mirage, does that driver/ car have to go through rookie licensing at Bonneville also?
Brian

*** The above information is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Esslinger Engineering, Inc. ***

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Does a license from El Mirage work at Bonneville too?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 10:32:54 PM »
Driver yes. No such thing as a rookie car...  :-)
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 12:41:56 PM »
But they have new car inspection....
Don't know how that works but I would probably try that line for your first salt meet.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jdincau

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 01:04:03 PM »
Once your log book has been signed off at the first inspection, El Mirage or Speedweek, it is no longer a new car unless there are significant changes ie; a new chassis.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 02:55:55 PM »
if they have concerns about a car they may require it to step up to speed.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 03:02:15 PM »
The driver must go thru Orientation. 
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 04:32:45 PM »
Terms are getting mixed.  Rookie and licensing are two different things.  All new drivers on the salt MUST make a under 150 rookie run regardless of SCTA license level.  If you're new to the salt, you're a rookie.  If the driver already has SCTA licenses, they may then run to their next license level after successfully completely a good rookie run.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline tauruck

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 04:46:32 PM »
Nathan, what's considered a good rookie run?.
Thanks. :cheers:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 05:34:26 PM »
Mike, I'm an ex racer and competed at a fairly high level but that has to be the best "rookie" orientation read ever.
I downloaded it. Thanks brother. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 06:22:11 PM »
I think NathanStewart did it while he was in charge of rookies?????

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 11:45:45 AM »
In the past I have done some of the Timing on the Rookie Course at Bonneville, this is what usually happens; the starter gives me the race vehicle number and asks be to report back to him/her how the rookie pass went; here is what I look for at the 2 mile point of the course where the Timing Tower is located: #1 did they go between 125 to 150? if so that qualifys for the run; #2 if their racing class record is over 175 mph they must deploy the parachute for us to look at for its proper operation like did the deployment cause a problem to the car like lifting the rear or front wheels off the ground? then the chute is located wrong on the car, #3 after going thru the finish line and deploying the chute, did the vehicle clear the course towards the return road so I can call the next car? if numbers 1-3 are accomplished OK, then I call the starter on the FM system and tell him that vehicle qualified for his "D" license, then the vehicle driver goes to the starter and get his timing slip signed by the starter, so they can get their "D" license, after that they are no longer a rookie and can go to the 3  mile course for more license runs, hope that helps some.  :cheers:
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 04:29:38 PM »
What happens when you have been through Rookie orientation at EL M---have not made a pass at El M --and have a higher lisc from B'ville than the record you will be running on a EL M I understand normally you cannot run on a record from the rookie line--whoops I am going to go read the rookie book-- :-D   Yeppers it was covered  under 150 unless oked by Race Director
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 04:35:13 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 06:28:12 PM »
None of this should be taken that racers don't OFTEN take a slow/grandma/rookie(like) run at first, even on a course they've run before. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 07:52:00 PM »
     This past weekend a Bonneville licensed competitor attended El Mirage rookie orientation since he had never driven there. His first pass was a correct under 150. His second pass was outside the lights. He will now start over. The driver had competed in many other motorsports competition and was not a novice.
     As a driver at both places with over 40 yrs of dry lakes experience I concentrate on what I'm to do on each run, I take nothing for granted. At El Mirage if I'm lucky enough to glacĂ© at the instruments near the end of a run I feel fortunate. As I near the finish line moving a hand to the parachute release is my only distraction as things happen fast at any speed.
     LSR is different than any other form of competition and demands much more than you think it would..JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro