Author Topic: Down Runs Posted  (Read 37545 times)

Offline WestCoastChris

• New folks
Down Runs Posted
« on: August 14, 2016, 05:07:37 PM »

Offline saltgremlin

• New folks
Re: Down Runs Posted
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 09:24:15 AM »
Given the fact we are in the 21st and all this technology around us, shame on these guys for not being able to live post all times to their SCTA website... Database linking isn't really that hard, not sure why its not being done.... Despite discrepancies, those can always be fixed later or on the fly. Maybe the wrong folks are in charge of the technology. :dhorse:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 10:05:46 AM »
Given the fact we are in the 21st and all this technology around us, shame on these guys for not being able to live post all times to their SCTA website... Database linking isn't really that hard, not sure why its not being done.... Despite discrepancies, those can always be fixed later or on the fly. Maybe the wrong folks are in charge of the technology. :dhorse:

I'm going to sound like the mean guy here, and please don't take this personally, but to anybody who thinks any of this is easy -

It might seem easy - but think about this -

We're talking about a crew of volunteers who show up at oh-god thirty in the morning to facilitate an event with 650 participants, work until sundown on a blazing hot salt pan, go back to their hotel/camper/tent, and get up the next day and do it all again.

This event would die if not for the volunteers, and transcribing down runs for those of us unfortunate, or unlucky enough, or simply unable to show up is a low priority. 

I think that the down runs were posted at all on Sunday for Saturday's racing is nothing short of miraculous.

Regarding discrepancies, this is a sport that lives and dies by numbers.  Personally, I'd rather see an accurate accounting later than mistakes crossed out in retrospect.

As to the wrong folks in charge - they're always looking for volunteers.

Yes, instant numbers would be nice.  But accurate accounting is paramount.

It's really not as easy as it seems.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 11:25:24 AM »
....yep - always looking for volunteers.  SaltGremlin, if there is something you can do to help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 12:14:22 PM »
What MM stated is most certainly true.  But perhaps there's more than one way to skin a cat.

I also run SCCA solo (autocross) events.  Even at the Regional level, we have "live timing" in which results are available online within seconds of run completion.  It's all volunteer, too.   At the National level there are a few SCCA employees, but it's at least 95% volunteers/participants.

Granted, they only have about 80 different classes, and only one (vs. four or seven) time per run is posted.   I guess the key is that everything is automated, and it requires no input from anybody for it to show up.  If something along these lines could be arranged,  I think that would be a win-win situation.  Maybe it could be posted to some website with ads so SCTA-BNI could even make a buck.

Another problem we have this year would seem to be the "Ron-Jon Show".  Jon's doing fine there, but it means he's not available to post results on the web site*.

I'm still waiting to find out if Speed Demon got a record or not.  It sounds like they couldn't (weren't allowed to?) run past the 4 on Saturday, and the speed I heard on the radio for their record run (mile 3 to 4) on Sunday may not have been enough.  Their 4 to 5 and exit speed on Sunday was good, but ineligible, I believe.

Jeff in Boise
* P.S.  Jon:  I talked to the Joint Venture crew on Saturday, and they're no longer running a DD 16V92.  They said Mercedes bought DD and they're running the new Mercedes version (still a V-16).  It's supposed to be a clean-burning type, so it'll no longer blot out the sun!
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 12:24:18 PM »

I'm still waiting to find out if Speed Demon got a record or not.  It sounds like they couldn't (weren't allowed to?) run past the 4 on Saturday, and the speed I heard on the radio for their record run (mile 3 to 4) on Sunday may not have been enough.  Their 4 to 5 and exit speed on Sunday was good, but ineligible, I believe.

Jeff in Boise

I've just been listening to Sunday's audio to try to work out the same thing.

Trying to read my own writing, I think Speed Demon II ran 382.448 mph (Saturday) and 379.470 mph (Sunday) for the 4th mile so no record.  Speed for the 5th mile on Saturday was 291.311 mph and 410.357 mph on Sunday, so again no record.

Does Sunday's 410 count as a qualifier? If so did they get a record this morning?

Jessechop

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 12:26:25 PM »

I'm going to sound like the mean guy here, and please don't take this personally, but to anybody who thinks any of this is easy -

It might seem easy - but think about this -

We're talking about a crew of volunteers who show up at oh-god thirty in the morning to facilitate an event with 650 participants, work until sundown on a blazing hot salt pan, go back to their hotel/camper/tent, and get up the next day and do it all again.

This event would die if not for the volunteers, and transcribing down runs for those of us unfortunate, or unlucky enough, or simply unable to show up is a low priority. 

I think that the down runs were posted at all on Sunday for Saturday's racing is nothing short of miraculous.

Regarding discrepancies, this is a sport that lives and dies by numbers.  Personally, I'd rather see an accurate accounting later than mistakes crossed out in retrospect.

As to the wrong folks in charge - they're always looking for volunteers.

Yes, instant numbers would be nice.  But accurate accounting is paramount.

It's really not as easy as it seems.

Couldn't agree more.

Offline saltgremlin

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 06:42:06 PM »
Right....

Well when it's NOT really open information regarding what proprietary timing hardware/software is being used. It's hard for me or OTHERS to even consider helping. I'd personally love to review what is being used. Again we are in the 21st, the ability to even export/import a simple .csv file. Goodness, are you still in the cave? But, feel free to continue talking out your a55, whoever is volunteering RIGHT NOW, really sucks! Just calling a spade a spade. And while I'm @ it, whoever is managing the IT (information technology) Sucks A55 too!

I understand, it is what it is. But woa! :|

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 06:43:21 PM »
Thanks. 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline don

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 06:51:49 PM »
Right....

Well when it's NOT really open information regarding what proprietary timing hardware/software is being used. It's hard for me or OTHERS to even consider helping. I'd personally love to review what is being used. Again we are in the 21st, the ability to even export/import a simple .csv file. Goodness, are you still in the cave? But, feel free to continue talking out your a55, whoever is volunteering RIGHT NOW, really sucks! Just calling a spade a spade. And while I'm @ it, whoever is managing the IT (information technology) Sucks A55 too!

I understand, it is what it is. But woa! :|

Have you even been to the salt?
It is a tough place to work on an computer.
Plus these guys are on vacation. They want to see some of the action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline saltgremlin

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 07:14:49 PM »
Going since 86....  :? Racing/driving my own ride since 2004... Computers? NO problem man......... ALL DAY! There is a thing called multitasking, my god! imagine that.... Nice try in justification. NO offence SLIM, you do the best you can, I can clearly see this man! So in that same token, you do  MORE THEN MOST EVER DO! SO my hats off to you! Maybe more folks should take a cue from you! I've been around long enough to know this SITE itself was the brain child of an AMo... So tell me what do I know....

Nevertheless, all that BS still doesn't really deal with the original issue... 'Live posting' or even an '.cvs web dumb' (at night when winding down in-town), I mean, what the hell?? ALL TO MANY IDEAS, someone can even write a quick script to do all the leg work. Kind of pisses me off to know what is available @our fingertips yet, none of it is utilized. Great job jacking off guys...

It's like the 200mph club website...... NICE use of 'IT', and member(s) pay 60 per year for that 10+year old garbage. We deserve a webcart, I'm not filling out a form then mailing/faxing it in for my 2club crap or other swag. Right!!................. get #$@$*@ real, infact, I'll keep my yearly 60, because I feel it does NOONE any good. Yea, I'd crack a F$#king whip like none other. Tell me about volunteer time, get real. Everyone is a potential VOLUNTEER inside the life of a hobby you LOVE! NO excuses really.......

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 07:19:29 PM by saltgremlin »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 07:31:31 PM »
Saltgremlin, most of us don't have a clue about the procedures you're talking about. Instead of criticizing those who are trying from your throne above why don't you come down and offer some of your expertise.

Pete

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 07:53:01 PM »
Going since 86....  :? Racing/driving my own ride since 2004... Computers? NO problem man......... ALL DAY! There is a thing called multitasking, my god! imagine that.... Nice try in justification. NO offence SLIM, you do the best you can, I can clearly see this man! So in that same token, you do  MORE THEN MOST EVER DO! SO my hats off to you! Maybe more folks should take a cue from you! I've been around long enough to know this SITE itself was the brain child of an AMo... So tell me what do I know....

Nevertheless, all that BS still doesn't really deal with the original issue... 'Live posting' or even an '.cvs web dumb' (at night when winding down in-town), I mean, what the hell?? ALL TO MANY IDEAS, someone can even write a quick script to do all the leg work. Kind of pisses me off to know what is available @our fingertips yet, none of it is utilized. Great job jacking off guys...

It's like the 200mph club website...... NICE use of 'IT', and member(s) pay 60 per year for that 10+year old garbage. We deserve a webcart, I'm not filling out a form then mailing/faxing it in for my 2club crap or other swag. Right!!................. get #$@$*@ real, infact, I'll keep my yearly 60, because I feel it does NOONE any good. Yea, I'd crack a F$#king whip like none other. Tell me about volunteer time, get real. Everyone is a potential VOLUNTEER inside the life of a hobby you LOVE! NO excuses really.......

ya can "bleat" all you want behind I screen name,, "Action" mate, I see you know the technology, words are words, get your accru out there an prove it  :roll:

I'm gratefull that I sit in my dining room just about as far away as anyone can get in this world from Bonneville, look at a screen and not only see pictures from an hour ago, but also listen live to the action,, heck, in 86 we here in Australia had to wait three months for the US magazines with the results to appear in the newsagents,, :cheers:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline saltgremlin

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 08:31:41 PM »
 :-o YOU say help.... Have offered many times, it's an old man's club. Either get ready to get on your knees, or you can't help! Honestly, I've offered to help many times. Maybe folks are just afraid the younger folks might oust them. IT Happens. AGAIN, OLD MAN's CLUB... IT IS! Defend that all you want. I've offered my services, no need to beg to help. AND I'll have you know, SHOULD I HAVE BEEN IN CHARGE, we'd be beyond 'live streaming' and 'LIVE web POSTING'. And the garbage website(s)(Albeit a slight improvement from the old site).... Just calling it as it is....

Tee, it's NOT 86 anymore, but yes I hear you. It's not bleat, when you're just calling a spade, A SPADE. Call it crying all you want. I'll call it hitting the nail on the head!! Get real man!!

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 08:33:49 PM by saltgremlin »

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 08:38:08 PM »
Don't forget that these volunteers haven't had any practice in the last 2 years. Maybe some new people also.

Jon, you do much more than most, and your efforts are truly appreciated!

Tom