Author Topic: Solidworks Belly Tank frame plan  (Read 14853 times)

Offline oj

Re: Solidworks Belly Tank frame plan
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 08:37:46 AM »
I use AutoDesk Inventor, for a single drawing with 1 person doing it you are better off getting a piece of butcher block paper big enough for a 1:1 lifesize drawing.  Tanks aren't all that big.  That way you can lay the part on the paper you want to use and trace it or reverse trace it as a pattern to cut out a blank.  After you go thru a mess of work to create a 3D rendering you can't help but wonder if it was worth all the effort, you could have actually built the damn thing and be looking at it.  Now if you have moving parts or doing a structural analysis that is different, 3D rendering is worth the effort. 
But a garage floor & a kiel or big paper & pencil is very hard to beat.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2016, 10:37:23 AM »
I use AutoDesk Inventor, for a single drawing with 1 person doing it you are better off getting a piece of butcher block paper big enough for a 1:1 lifesize drawing.  Tanks aren't all that big.  That way you can lay the part on the paper you want to use and trace it or reverse trace it as a pattern to cut out a blank.  After you go thru a mess of work to create a 3D rendering you can't help but wonder if it was worth all the effort, you could have actually built the Dodge thing and be looking at it.  Now if you have moving parts or doing a structural analysis that is different, 3D rendering is worth the effort. 
But a garage floor & a kiel or big paper & pencil is very hard to beat.

That is the main reason why guys like Al Bauerle used to "chalk out" frames on a concrete floor.   Not sayin' it's the best method, just sayin' that lots of successful stuff still gets built that way . . . . .

:cheers:
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2016, 04:49:08 AM »

I'll bet the Reverend has it in CAD somewhere.

Fordboy

There's probably a photo of the chalk drawing, wire model and all the other things we did before cutting steel
including a number of scale models.....
And it still didn't all fit
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2016, 06:12:21 AM »

I'll bet the Reverend has it in CAD somewhere.

Fordboy

There's probably a photo of the chalk drawing, wire model and all the other things we did before cutting steel
including a number of scale models.....
And it still didn't all fit
G

Upsizing the frame, if possible, or, downsizing everything inside the frame can be helpful.    It's about the "wool bag" being "three bags full".    I know the midget changed out the Foster's overflow can (16 oz) for a PBR can (12 oz).    Every little bit helps!!

Although, downsizing the cans does not help on the consumption side . . . . .   :-D

F/B

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2016, 06:29:57 AM »
There is a CAD side view on Page 2 of the Australian Belly Tank Build Diary.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,862.msg8683.html#msg8683

I am going to presume there are some other views, etc, as well, posted on other pages.     Happy Hunting.

Cheers
F/B

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2016, 08:55:22 AM »
While chalk on the floor has worked in many instances, CAD can be a useful, indeed, valuable tool for planning out a complex construction.  It largely depends on one’s facility for using the CAD program.  I doubt if the Carbonite guys are ready to go back to the chalk method...

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,8665.0.html

Offline tauruck

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2016, 11:37:47 AM »
oj, don't mess around. Start doing stuff.
The longer you wait, the longer it will take.
Get your hands dirty man. :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016, 03:01:37 PM »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!