Author Topic: Speedway Motors Museum of American Speed - Lincoln, NE  (Read 6802 times)

gkabbt

Speedway Motors Museum of American Speed - Lincoln, NE
« on: August 08, 2016, 08:40:41 PM »

As I was planning on our cross country trip to Bonneville, I wanted to go through Nebraska as we have never been in that state.
One place I knew I wanted to go was the Speedway Motors Museum of American Speed.

This museum was created by Bill and Joyce Smith in 1992 and is a fantastic collection of many different items.
There are all types of Sprint cars and items, Indy cars and items, Bonneville cars and items, NASCARs and items, Show cars as well as MANY Ford flathead engines and items.
There is also a VAST collection of MANY pedal cars and toys.

I went today and was there for about 4 hours and will definitely recommend it to ANY gearhead!

Google photos offer larger pictures and here is the link:

https://goo.gl/photos/tqPLBkMAiDkymPY77
Click on the 1st picture and it will open where you can cycle through the individual pictures.

If you are having trouble with the above link, here is my Google+ link:

https://plus.google.com/photos/115248360774022016668/albums/6316606022291669297
Click on the 1st picture and it will open where you can cycle through the individual pictures.

And here is the Museum's website:

http://www.museumofamericanspeed.com/default.dlp

As with all my posts, I hope you enjoy.

Gregg
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 10:07:25 PM by gkabbt »

gkabbt

Re: Speedway Motors Museum of American Speed - Lincoln, NE
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 08:56:48 PM »

One highlight from today was talking with John Mackichan who is an employee of the Museum and co-owner of the retired C/BGS of Mackichan/Schulz:

Another highlight was seeing the craftsmanship of our own Rich Fox and his engines:

Gregg

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 09:40:53 PM »
Thanx especially for the "foxy" fotos.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline will6er

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 10:47:04 PM »
Gregg-
If you have time you might stop by Pioneer Village in Minden.

An incredible amount of stuff.

Will Willis

Offline deucemac

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 12:31:26 AM »
Incredible place! I was able to stop by there on my way home from Indy this year. I shot a gazillion pictures and still was overwhelmed.  One of the docents that day was the owner of the red 'liner, John Mackichan.  We has a great time talking race cars and salt. Very well informed guy and a real pleasure to spend time with. If you find yourself in Nebraska for ANY reason, be sure to stop and see Speedy Bill's collection of stuff. That was the beginning of June and here it is August and I am still in awe!

gkabbt

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 07:52:26 AM »

Will: Many thanks for the recommendation on Pioneer Village and it does work into our plans. My Wife was talking to a docent yesterday and he recommended this as well as going North of I-80 in Grand Island and take scenic route, NE 2.

Deuce: I agree 100% on the awe factor! STILL blown away by all the Ford Flatheads and items.
Like you and I both said, if you are a gearhead and find yourself in Nebraska for ANY reason, be sure to stop and see Speedy Bill's collection of stuff!!!!!

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 08:11:23 AM »

Once I got into cars back in the mid-'60's, my favorite type of racing was drag racing and more specifically AA/FD & AA/GD. Growing up in eastern NC did not lend itself for these cars but the love was still there. I remember seeing Tony Nancy's Wedge II in Hot Rod and absolutely fell in love with it. The rear engine design was over the top.
My family moved to Southern Calif. in '69 and I was in heaven.....Lions, OCIR, Irwindale, Pomona and Ontario.
One name that always stuck was Tony Nancy and I always enjoyed seeing him and his cars.....extremely beautiful and good performers.

Gregg

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:01:42 PM by gkabbt »

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 07:21:50 PM »
Went there several years ago. Going to take Amy one day. Hopefully soon.. Have a safe trip Gregg..
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

gkabbt

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 10:00:00 PM »

For those who don't know Tony's cars, here is what I found on the internet.

Here is his front engine car:

And here is his rear engine car:

As I said in my post from this morning, his cars were beautiful and ran really good!

Greggl
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 10:05:43 PM by gkabbt »

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 10:14:15 PM »
Greg, we went thru Lincoln today on the way to tech inspection! Should have honked! I went out of my way a few years back to see this Smithsonian of hot rodding! MUST SEE FOR ALL!

See ya on the white stuff!
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 10:28:09 PM »
For those who prefer roadsters  :mrgreen: :

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

gkabbt

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 06:56:05 PM »

While I was looking on the net for Tony's dragsters, I did see the roadster.
When we moved to CA in '69, the roadster was gone and he was running his front engine AA/FD.

Gregg

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 08:34:37 PM »
He had great success running the dragsters -- perhaps more with the roadster(s).
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline tauruck

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 09:21:15 PM »
Gregg, you're my personal "virtual" tour guide. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Awesome stuff, thanks so much. I appreciate your posts and as you know we all love pics!!!!!! :-D

I always wanted to visit some other places if I ever got to the US but after this if you hear rumors I'm
in the country I'll be in Nebraska!!!!!!!. 8-) :lol:                           
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 09:31:57 PM by tauruck »

gkabbt

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 09:53:38 PM »

Mike, WHEN you get to the US, YES you must go to this museum in Nebraska as well as the museum in Florida as well as the museum in Indiana as well as.....!!!!! So many places to go! :-D

REALLY glad you're enjoying the pics. More to come in the next few days from Bonneville!

Gregg