Author Topic: Nitromethane  (Read 5059 times)

Offline DKrause615

Nitromethane
« on: August 06, 2016, 11:46:40 AM »
I have 20 gallons of 100% Nitromethane  sell to someone at Speedweek.  It is in new 5 gallon containers that I purchased from a major NHRA top fuel team.  My wife says get that stuff out of the garage.  Can I bring it along to Speedweek or am I going to get yelled at by somebody?  :?

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
Re: Nitromethane
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 12:32:27 PM »
I my bike don't behave out there I may want to get some from you :-D

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline mergatroyd

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 12:40:07 AM »
I am possibly interested depending on how things go out there. Metal containers (I ask dumb questions all the time)?
I have no idea what I'm doing... but it seems to be working!

Offline DKrause615

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 05:56:04 AM »
The fuel is in new plastic 5 gallon jugs as sold by Summit, Jegs, Speedway etc.  Two are blue and two a red in color.  I also have 20 gallons of pre mixed nitromethane with methonal alcohol. They are 20%, 25%, 30% and 35%.  I wasn't planning on bringing those out to Bonneville but I could if someone was interested. Your vehicle must be running alcohol to use this stuff.  I would also recommend compression ratio be under 12:1.  I have all the  hydrometer test equipment to verify the specific gravity.

Depending on what percent you want to run I can provide the approximate increase in torque and how much you must richen your system for any % mixture at any given density altitude.  Despite what some people say,  you don't  need to change jets until 30% plus.  It's not rocket science , but close.   

I had duel fuel systems on my car and would switch to 30% nitro at the three or four mile mark.  It would pick up about four miles per hour.  This years motor is a ultra high compression experiment, so I just as soon move this "rocket fuel". 

I am concerned about several things.   #1 I had to apply for a federal permit to even buy 50 gallons of nitro, so it probably should be used at the event.  #2 Since I only have a very limited quantity, I am hoping that SCTA the fuel truck guys don't take offense. #3 The persons buying this realize the proper storage and handling.  #4 Nitro can add torque to any engine when used properly, but your doing so at your own risk.

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 03:22:34 PM »

Despite what some people say,  you don't  need to change jets until 30% plus.  It's not rocket science , but close.   

:-o, WHAT!!!
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline DKrause615

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 06:38:42 AM »
Realize that may have been a little over your head.  Have a safe trip, see you on the salt! :-D

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 05:20:19 PM »
 I would suggest that you to not make a jet change, your initial methanol a/f is way over your head  :-D

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 05:40:45 PM by stay`tee »
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline mergatroyd

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 12:44:26 AM »
Well, my interest is precluded by my ECU taking a shit on my test bed. I'd like to run maybe %20 or so, but at this point I can't even tell if I will be running on M100.
I have no idea what I'm doing... but it seems to be working!