Author Topic: BUB7 - Valerie Thompson  (Read 21209 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: BUB7 - Valerie Thompson
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2016, 02:04:15 AM »
Hey there... I'm just trying to figure all this layout in the land racing forums... and wanted to take some time to respond to you all. First thank you for all the support!!!!  I have a great team behind me and it's GO TIME!!!  After our official 304.263 mph we will attempt a shot at the overall record mid October. 

Welcome Valerie. :cheers: :cheers:
Regards, Mike , South Africa.

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2016, 08:32:35 AM »
Valerie,

You have yourself one heck of a ride there, congratulations on the progress you and your team have made so far.

We are not only racers here, but fans of other LSR participants that work hard to do the best they can in the class vehicle they run.

I hope you the best , and remind you to take your time to go fast. Fast is great, but safe in even better.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2016, 10:14:30 AM »
Baby steps today -- let you take more steps tomorrow.  Way to go! :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2021, 12:16:40 PM »
I see that Valerie has chosen to end her participation and involvement with the Bub #7 bike liner.  I saw the announcement on Facebook, but I assume it'll be elsewhere, too, if you'd like to read the story.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2021, 01:11:58 PM »
I couldn't find anything yesterday (not being on Facebook), but there is news following up on a press release:

Bonneville Salt Flats, UT (Dec. 13, 2021) Ten-time land speed record holder Valerie Thompson announces, effective immediately, her separation from Denis Manning and the BUB 7 Streamliner Motorcycle team citing loss of confidence in the streamliner and designer Manning. Thompson has been piloting the former world-title holding motorcycle since 2016 and was Manning's top funding source for the team.

Considered the "world's fastest female motorcycle racer" after inking a 328 mph speed record, Thompson is an independent team owner/driver who competitively drag raced before focusing on land speed racing, eventually earning 10 Land Speed Records on two continents.

"We lost some essential crew members over the last few months," said Thompson about her eroding confidence in the project. "The remaining crew contacted me late last week with the sad news they had quit and removed all their tools from the Team 7 Racing shop. Without this 'super crew,' I'm highly doubtful about the performance potential of the BUB 7 to re-capture the worlds fastest motorcycle title. More importantly, I'm concerned for my safety. These are not just my team mates, they're my guardian angels."

Each of the departing team members helped extract Thompson from the BUB 7 wreckage after a devastating 363 mph crash on Australia's Lake Gairdner salt flats in 2018. "While I'm disappointed I won't be setting the fastest motorcycle record with Team 7 Racing, I'm heartbroken the crew won't see the results of their 36 months of painstaking re-building work. Each of them has volunteered countless hours in this quest. They deserve better," added Thompson.

Thompson remains the principal driver of the dual-engine Target 550 streamliner owned by Oregonian and veteran land speed race team owner Marlo Treit.  Treit's 43-foot, 9,000-pound speed machine is vastly different than the BUB 7 motorcycle. The team's goal is to break Tom Burkland's 415 mph World Record set in 2008. Thompson exceeded the team's testing goals on her first three test runs, clocking 218, 270 and 291 mph.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 01:15:34 PM by TrickyDicky »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2021, 06:31:22 PM »
Does anyone remember this TV series? I loved that shot of the salt in the opening. Maybe that is what fueled my interest in Bonneville long ago.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt1GdEv1bO8
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2021, 07:02:51 PM »
Darn right I do, Neil.  :cheers: Too bad all those words were in the way.
Wayno