Author Topic: Plasti Dip instead of tape?  (Read 6621 times)

Offline MJ Williams

Plasti Dip instead of tape?
« on: August 01, 2016, 09:05:48 PM »
Would using Plasti Dip on the headlight lens and such be acceptable instead of tape?
The compound curves on my headlight make it difficult to do a decent job with tape or vinyl wrap.
A couple coats worth make a thick coating that sticks as well as tape and peels off.
Thank you

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: Plasti Dip instead of tape?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 10:32:04 PM »
I am not an inspector but I would think that is acceptable. The purpose to to avoid glass shards on the race surface of course. Does Plasti-Dip stick well to glass like tape would?

The actual rule says "Tape headlamps completely with non-transparent tape to hold broken glass". But I have seen the techs pass bikes that merely have an "X" across the glass lens.  To me that is not "completely". 

To be safe and satisfy the rule to the letter, just use flexible tape like electrical tape and cover the whole surface. Duct tape and masking tape does not flex, it just wrinkles. Use overlapping short pieces to go over the compound curve.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 08:02:05 AM »
And bust your butt making the seams on the tape be perfectly smooth.  If you don't you're likely to incur the wrath of Pork Pie and the many aero experts that'll point out how that bumpy seam will cost you bookoo miles per hour.

I was surprised how crappy a job I did -- when I thought it was pretty good.  But then PP and Todd Dross and other folks showed me how well it really could be done.  I learned... :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 09:00:44 AM »
Pull the fuse, the light get very hot quick, let's jut say experience.

I'm not sure about PP, but in 2007 someone came over to me in impound, (that I had no idea who he was ) and ripped my Acura about how I had taped my headlight, said it was illegal and would DQ our new record. WOW!, the tech folks didn't have any problems with it, so I just figured the guy's comment was just a bunch of...

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 09:18:27 AM »
Nah, if that guy had been PP - he more likely would have had you rip the tape of and he'd then do a proper job of it for you.  I've had a couple of folks, over the years, stop by our pit and refresh (?!) my skills at taping. :roll: 

Don't chase 'em away!  They really are trying to help you. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 09:31:38 AM »
I think the guy was "mad" that we were in impound, don't know who it was to this day. I've been around the block a long time now, and I know from time to time you're going to run into folks like that, just the way it is.

Far as I can tell, some brands of the plastic dip would be even better than duck tape for covering glass parts, that is, if you have no other future plans to use them without the dip.

Rouse

Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline MJ Williams

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 05:23:11 PM »
Last time at BMST I went through tech with the headlight taped with 1/2" strips in a checkerboard pattern that showed 1/2" square peeks of the clear headlight cover and they bounced me because it was not 100% covered.
I'd like to know how those guys do that with the vinyl wrap.