Author Topic: Corvette C5 diff mated directly to a Liberty 5-speed trans  (Read 4685 times)

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
Corvette C5 diff mated directly to a Liberty 5-speed trans
« on: August 01, 2016, 03:58:09 PM »
I saw subject trans/diff done somewhere and I thought it was on one of the LSR threads. Does anybody know of this trans/diff merger and if so, where can I find it? It will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, if not a Liberty trans then Richmond, Doug Nash or G-Force will be fine.

John
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 06:48:05 PM by ggl205 »

Offline John Burk

Re: Corvette C5 diff mated directly to a Liberty 5-speed trans
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 09:49:36 PM »
Two transaxle combinations were mentioned a few months ago . Pfitzner makes or is hoping to find customers for their transmissions that bolt on the back of a Winters QC . The other was Griffin who years ago made and might reproduce differential units that bolt to Doug Nash / G Force transmissions .

Offline ggl205

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 10:12:33 PM »
Two transaxle combinations were mentioned a few months ago . Pfitzner makes or is hoping to find customers for their transmissions that bolt on the back of a Winters QC . The other was Griffin who years ago made and might reproduce differential units that bolt to Doug Nash / G Force transmissions .

John, thank you for the Pfitzner and Griffin transmission recommendations. Big bucks to be sure. I am trying for a more cost effective solution as an alternative to these $10,00-$15,000 Transaxles. I will have a 700 hp, 2.0 Liter four cylinder available to me in a couple of years and will need to find an affordable transaxle to put behind it.

John

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 01:19:50 PM »
maybe the McKee??...Thread around here someplace :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 03:12:38 PM »
Here's my backyard way to get there.
I believe your Doug Nash will have a GM 32 spline out put correct?
Park a male Greek Coupler on the end of it, about $90 worth.
Use the earlier Vette 7.5-10 bolt diff that will give you lots of tall ratio options in a 2 series from 3.08 up to 2.136 (aka 2.14)
Use a Torsen or Eaton 2 series carrier that does not have spider gears or cross shaft.
Mike at B&J can make you a female Greek Coupler for the 10 bolt pinion, about $120.
Mount the whole mess in your chassis, no need to adapt them together.
Without spending piles of money I think the tallest ratio you can get for a QC is 4.11, now you have to overdrive the crap out of it either with the spur gears or the trans to get the final drive ratio you're looking for & that is going to cost you HP.
The 4L80-E trans is something you might consider too. It's plenty strong enough in stock form for everything you will shove through it, has a .75 overdrive, 32 spline output, a lock-up converter & is easy to make full manual with no ECM. We hung a used $150 Craigslist cheapy on a twin turbo Duramax in a street rod five years ago that's done Drag Week & has over 20k hard miles on it since. I call that value! A 2WD Turbo 400 short tail housing will bolt up to a 4WD 4L80-E trans to make it a short 2WD.
  Sid.

Offline ggl205

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 11:01:06 AM »
Here's my backyard way to get there.
I believe your Doug Nash will have a GM 32 spline out put correct?
Park a male Greek Coupler on the end of it, about $90 worth.
Use the earlier Vette 7.5-10 bolt diff that will give you lots of tall ratio options in a 2 series from 3.08 up to 2.136 (aka 2.14)
Use a Torsen or Eaton 2 series carrier that does not have spider gears or cross shaft.
Mike at B&J can make you a female Greek Coupler for the 10 bolt pinion, about $120.
Mount the whole mess in your chassis, no need to adapt them together.
Without spending piles of money I think the tallest ratio you can get for a QC is 4.11, now you have to overdrive the crap out of it either with the spur gears or the trans to get the final drive ratio you're looking for & that is going to cost you HP.
The 4L80-E trans is something you might consider too. It's plenty strong enough in stock form for everything you will shove through it, has a .75 overdrive, 32 spline output, a lock-up converter & is easy to make full manual with no ECM. We hung a used $150 Craigslist cheapy on a twin turbo Duramax in a street rod five years ago that's done Drag Week & has over 20k hard miles on it since. I call that value! A 2WD Turbo 400 short tail housing will bolt up to a 4WD 4L80-E trans to make it a short 2WD.
  Sid.

Sid, you are talking my language! I like keeping the rear axle as close to the engine as I can, hence, transaxle. But when you leave 300 ft. Lbs. of torque, most transaxles begin to get real pricy. I will look into your options. They make sense. Thank you.

John