Author Topic: Salt Talks  (Read 27943 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Salt Talks
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2016, 04:20:22 PM »
Major bummer, girls and boys.  Our truck isn't happy - "reduced engine power", it says, so we limped all the way to beautiful Glendive, MT.  We'll hole up in this really nice crack whore motel and in in the morning hope that the Chevy dealership in town opens early to work on Duramax rigs belonging to stray folks headed for the salt.

For them what wonders what's wrong, I dunno -- but:  Just last week I got it back after the deer hit repairs. And the tranny cooler and hoses and everything were replaced (Bambi was big) and Bob the wrench mentioned all 15 codes the thing was throwing - just for the Allison.  So I'm wondering if we're suffering from some ill related to Bambi.

I'd say moe right now but I see some entertaining-looking girls strolling around by the gutter.  Gotta go check 'em out.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2016, 04:47:47 PM »
I feel your pain, Jon.

A few weeks ago I was driving my Dodge PU through Kingman, AZ on I-40 and a fuel injector line developed a pinhole leak. It was spraying diesel fuel all over the engine and leaving a big cloud of vapor behind me. Fortunately it happened as I was not far from an exit and I turned off, right into a truck stop. Unfortunately it was Sunday night and there were no mechanics there familiar with a Cummins 5.9L engine so I had it towed a short distance to the local Dodge dealer and holed up in a Route 66 motel until the next morning. The dealer got to work on my truck the first thing in the morning and -- a miracle-- they had a #4 injector fuel line in stock! By noon I was on my way to Nevada. Talk about lucky- I could have had that happen in the middle of nowhere (there's a lot of that out here in the West). Had it been a gas engine there would have been a big fire for sure.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2016, 08:35:45 PM »
Grilled venison - never a pretty sight.  Up by youse guyz, they jump out from behind the trees - down here, out of the cornfields.

A thought on those codes - the Dodge was throwing codes that were transmission related, but the problem wound up being the wheel sensors for the ECU.  They were suffering from BRC - Bonneville Related Corrosion.  I was looking at $700.00 in repairs just to get it to the point where they could run an accurate diagnostic on it, but if the mechanic is stumped, have him/her check the wheel sensors.

It's all related these days . . .

By the way - given Jon's propensity to make up the names of places, I checked, and there REALLY IS A GLENDIVE MONTANA!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2016, 08:45:19 PM »
Chris;

There is also a French Lick in one of the Midwest states. No kidding!  :-D  :-D  :-D

gkabbt

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2016, 09:21:36 PM »

And Neil.....My wife and I passed by French Lick, Indiana this morning on our way out to B'ville.
Yes, I did chuckle to myself!

Gregg

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2016, 09:55:01 PM »
Chris;

There is also a French Lick in one of the Midwest states. No kidding!  :-D  :-D  :-D

:roll:

Do I hold her ears, or do I hold my tongue?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2016, 10:21:30 PM »
    Jon, As I said earlier. If you need help I'm not too far away. I can bring parts from Billings or find a spare vehicle. I work really cheap. Keep me posted. You've got my number.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2016, 10:35:08 PM »
Yup, there's French Lick, Indiana.  As I remember my folks went there years ago - a hot springs spa or something.  I think one of my sisters was born a little less than a year later.  I didn't like her -- Dad should stuck with the French Lick, I say.  Anyway -

Here we are in Glendive.  If you've read enough Westerns you've seen the name.  If we'd made it another 75 miles we'd have got to Miles City, and you only need to read three or four Westerns to hear of that one, Chris.

And yup, I got the email, Doug, and 'til morning all we can do is kinda think about things that we might have to do.  But - I don't find your phone number in my sPhone, so maybe you'd be so kind as to send it via some fine method.  Or if you've got mine - which hasn't changed in a buncha years - go ahead and text to your heart's content.  The ringer is off for the night.

So are we.  G'night, all. :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2016, 12:29:28 AM »
  Slim, I hope the muff...err..glendive don't bite... sleep tight.      O.R.B. :roll:
Bob Drury

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2016, 12:45:28 AM »
The misss adventures of SSS and his Misss
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2016, 08:37:26 AM »
Well -- it's about 6.30 and we're ready to go to -- HKT Motors.  They don't open 'til 8 -- and WTF kinda customer service is that?  Don't they know that we live on Eastern time and have been awake for a couple hours?

Long story coming, I expect.  At least I've got Naughty Nancy with me. :wink:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2016, 03:55:08 PM »
  Sorry, Jon, Just got back on the electronic marvel and saw this. I'll send you my phone number.
   Doug  :cry:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2016, 07:35:44 PM »
Email sent, Doug, and thanks.  For them that wonders, it was the EGT (Duramax diesel).  So we spent a wonderful 27 hours in Glendive, Montana, while the dealership sent a guy to Miles City (75 miles) to get the part and then drive it back for the wrench to fiddle with.  And so it's done and we're driving again.

See you on the salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2016, 09:46:55 PM »
  You should be going by Columbus shortly. Sorry I couldn't help out. I guess I could stand on the side of the road and hand you a water bottle like they do in the Olympics. See you on Friday. Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
                   [America]

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2016, 09:49:07 PM »
When you get home put a block-off plate in it, the part is about $12.
  Sid.