Author Topic: Mandatory 4" fire doors  (Read 7471 times)

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Mandatory 4" fire doors
« on: July 29, 2016, 01:44:36 AM »
I was wondering if anybody wanted to share how they did their fire doors along with suppliers for hinges and such?
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Mandatory 4" fire doors
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 01:49:49 AM »
  The ones I installed that are shown on the hood of My Studebaker in the Safety Post (I apologize for not having a better shot) were purchased from the Chassis Shop which is a great place to find Race Car Hardware.                     Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 02:00:39 AM »
Hi Rob,

I used these from Speedway, 6"x6" affordable and easy to install. Installed on both side panels. These are Aluminum and easily formed in one plane.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-Aluminum-Access-Door-6-x-6-Inch,48997.html

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline Ro Yale

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 06:48:43 PM »
What is this fire door rule? I attempted to find it but to no luck.
Racers Race and Whiners Whine!

Offline Texican

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 07:03:01 PM »
I was wondering if anybody wanted to share how they did their fire doors along with suppliers for hinges and such?

Ask Marlo, or Dr. Freud; The ones on 550 liner appear to be superb.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 07:03:46 PM »
Section 5.A Car Classes, Special Construction Category, page 66. Applies to streamliners and lakesters only. Advisory for 2016, mandatory for 2017.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 08:00:44 PM »
  The ones in Marlo's car are indeed superb as they along with the rest of the vehicle are the results of Master Craftsman and Artist (with hand crafted hardwood Fabrege Eggs in the Smithsonian), Mr. Jim Hume.  They probably took a week or so to make but then again the car build took 15 years plus or minus.
  Oh and by the way Marlo designed the car on a cocktail napkin.  It must have been a hell of a drink..................
                                                                                                       Ol' One Run, out....................................... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline Ro Yale

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 08:29:37 PM »
Thanks for the clarification....just trying to get all our ducks in a row.
Racers Race and Whiners Whine!

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 04:28:04 PM »
We did find some nice spring hinges from McMaster Carr. Like $4 a piece.
I did not want a latch as if there is fire, the latch might be too hot to undo.
We used the doors for end of run cooling. One of my crew met the car as soon as I got her stopped and gave me a short 3 second CO2 blast in each door.
This worked superbly to stop the convection heating problem associated with running turbocharged gasoline in tight confine as a streamliner.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 06:21:39 PM »
Good idea, Rob.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 06:50:23 PM »
  The first thing to ask yourself is will the air going over the surface want to create lift of the access door?
  At our most recent NW Reunion Dinner Roy Creel was the speaker and during a after dinner speech I asked if The first responders would have on SFI 20 or better gloves because most doors are going to be really hot. He kind of fudged around and I don't remember His answer but since that was last February I would thing they are at least aware of the problem.
  The beauty of the ones I use from the chassis shop is the release button is flush mounted and large enough that one glove finger poke flips the latch upside down on top and a simple brush over the inverted latch with a fire glove flips the whole lid open.  Google Chassis Shop in I believe Maryland.
  p.s. They also sell Sqeek Bell's increadable tight exhaust donut bends for building Headers  (example 3' I.D. TUBE +3=diameter inside hole. available in steel and s.s.  or go to Kiwi Konection in Bakersfield, and talk to Duane............
Bob Drury

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 07:16:14 PM »
I did the ones from Speedway on my round alum. sided car--- pre curved them some-- but they are under pressure when closed ---put the hinge on the bottom---they spring open when released with a flat blade and stay open because some times gravity is our friend
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!