Author Topic: Mike Cook's test and tune:  (Read 24449 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Mike Cook's test and tune:
« on: July 28, 2016, 08:38:17 PM »
Other than the sad news about Sam Wheeler has anyone heard anything about what it happening at Mike Cook's test and tune?? I did read that the Target 550 guys ran 359 and broke some change gears not much else.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline WZ JUNK

Re: Mike Cook's test and tune:
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 10:20:44 PM »
I would like more information also.  I tried to read between the lines on the little bit that has been posted.  I am a non facebooker so that leaves me out on some stuff.

I would like to know more about the course conditions.   

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline JamesJ

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 10:15:34 AM »
I heard Honda had a J/BFS that was there. 

Offline joea

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 10:41:31 AM »
Yes pics of the rides , videos commentary etc on FB

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 10:42:24 AM »
Yeash -- I've seen some pictures (they were labelled "Don't copy" so I won't) of the car out at the salt.  Swoopy as all get out, and inside everything is covered by -- really, ready for this?

Everything interesting is covered by cardboard boxes held in place with duct tape.  REALLY!  The inner fenders are covered, what I suppose is an engine bay -- can't be, maybe is aux. stuff -- is covered with old boxes broken down, flattened, and taped in place.

Anybody care to elucidate on what I saw?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 10:48:56 AM »
Yeash -- I've seen some pictures (they were labelled "Don't copy" so I won't) of the car out at the salt.  Swoopy as all get out, and inside everything is covered by -- really, ready for this?

Everything interesting is covered by cardboard boxes held in place with duct tape.  REALLY!  The inner fenders are covered, what I suppose is an engine bay -- can't be, maybe is aux. stuff -- is covered with old boxes broken down, flattened, and taped in place.

Anybody care to elucidate on what I saw?

Was this the Honda liner?  I imagine they are being secretive is all. Maybe some new technology in there? I can't imagine they are running with all that in there. Probably just covering stuff as they are working so no one can see it.

I would like more information also.  I tried to read between the lines on the little bit that has been posted.  I am a non facebooker so that leaves me out on some stuff.

I would like to know more about the course conditions.   

John
I read that the Target 550 car had no problems applying power to the salt. So that's promising.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 11:12:15 AM »
"...Probably just covering stuff as they are working so no one can see it. "

I thought about it that way, but the boxes sure looked beat up - like they've been in place for a while and used/sat on, wrinkled/whatever -- not pristine, like they were just there as quick covers.  Time will tell -- the photos will show up and we can all see.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 11:37:24 AM »
Cook's Land Speed Shootout site say's there is only 1 vehicle remaining at the event, not sure who.

Keith Copland was there
Triet & Davenport
Honda streamliner
????

Pictures of the Honda "liner & of the quick change gears for Marlo's car. Both from Cook's page
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline DallasV

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 12:07:48 PM »

Don't know why Marlo hung it up? a few minutes with a file and those gears are as good as new.  :evil:

I saw one picture somewhere of that honda liner from a front view. I would be interested to know if there were any vision problems. Seems as if they have about a 4" notch between the wheel bumps on the body to look through. I know I need more than 20 of visibility to know where the course is.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline handyguy

• BANTAM FOURPLAY
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 12:13:18 PM »
You got it on the Honda , seem's that visibility is a issue...

Offline Texican

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 12:19:08 PM »
  OK! 
Hiyou, Folks:   Here is a quick and dirty from one who was there.  As soon as I get a little more decompression action, We may be able to share more.
 2 gallons of extra BOLD coffee should start.

Salt was very good; my opinion.  Mike gave Marlo a 5 mile runup, then 3 more to get her whoa'd down.
He and his crew worked day and night ; more than from "can to can't" :cheers:

When I arrived Sat AM to supervise the location and positioning of a 20' X 60' shade maker for the 550 crew,
I entered from the gravel frontage road that runs along the North edge of I-80.  That way it was possible to check THE INT'L COURSE.

After driving alongside the whole 4 or 5 miles to where we were directly East of Land's end; it sure looked good to this observer.
The access/return roads are dragged so as to be smoother than most all SLC streets. Of course, the salt doesn't get ripped up every 6 weeks to lay a new pipe and then be repaired with whatever mat'l is the cheapest; bubblegum or jello. :wink:

Gear set breakage is correct. What happened?  Apparently George Poteet isn't the only one who can lay more power to the salt than the drive train can handle. Yes, we could safely say that with 5000 HP and 8000# car weight; traction can be achieved.  :-o  :-D
There was another small issue with some starter hook up that required a trip to Lindon, UT. for some parts and special hdwe.

Land's end received about 4 or 5 double gondolas of SALT. The first truck got mired in his own load after dumping.
Then the 6 wheeled Caterpillar type road grader would work it over. This was still an ongoing "work in progress" when We left late Wed.

My best Lady stayed in the rig and enjoyed the A/C.

More to come later, after Bfst.

Regards,
Jim

Offline tauruck

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 12:23:40 PM »
Thanks for the update Jim. :cheers:
Mike.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 12:36:44 PM »
Chew twice, Jim, and swallow once, and then a swig of milk, and then get back to your report.  We wanna hear more.  Got any photos? :evil: :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tom Liberatore

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 02:15:41 PM »
I know a lot of us would like more detail on what happened with Sam, man that was hard to take, what a loss.
Pepperoni Bros.- XF/VOT

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 02:21:07 PM »
Several news papers (like the Salt Lake Tribune) have stories on Sam. You can find them on line.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...