Author Topic: Newbie looking for advice  (Read 7496 times)

Offline Deltadog

• New folks
Newbie looking for advice
« on: July 24, 2016, 08:18:12 PM »
This is going to sound really silly to some but I have an urge to build a land speed car from a B210 Datsun mostly because my great grandmother taught me to drive in one and it's something you don't see everyday and I like the slope of rear half. I understand that they are under powered stock but they did race them and get some performance out of them for what they were. I have plenty of experience in the engine building department and mechanical aspect of building things but the aero part of the sport is where I lack. All honest replies are welcome and thank you in advance .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: Newbie looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 09:09:46 PM »
Nothing wrong with that, that's the sort of $hit that makes us all different. For a small amount of input you could go run the USFRA 130-150 club to get your feet wet so to speak or even go run one of the blacktop Mile events. From the firewall back it would make a decent Comp-Coupe donor if you wanted a huge project.
  Sid.

Offline Deltadog

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 09:13:49 PM »
Nothing wrong with that, that's the sort of $hit that makes us all different. For a small amount of input you could go run the USFRA 130-150 club to get your feet wet so to speak or even go run one of the blacktop Mile events. From the firewall back it would make a decent Comp-Coupe donor if you wanted a huge project.
  Sid.
Thank you

It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 10:01:20 PM »
Send me a message if you're serious, I can turn you on to an old Datsun Land Speed race car that's been updated and is 98% ready to run, for 50 cents on the Dollar!
It's located in Ventura, Calif.

Willi
Kraut Bros.

Who Has More Fun?

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 10:15:50 PM »
If you want to see what can be done with a B210, Find a picture of Burklands 300 mph version. My favorite B210 of all time.

Offline Deltadog

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 10:51:22 PM »
If you want to see what can be done with a B210, Find a picture of Burklands 300 mph version. My favorite B210 of all time.
That is a slick looking rig

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 11:35:55 PM »
The Datsun stuff ruled SCCA in the 1970's, and if you take the time to go through some of the vintage road racing boards, it's likely you'll find a lot of sources for parts.  While the BRE 510 was the car to beat in the day, those little B210s have a smaller frontal area, and what appears to be better aero, so it might make for a solid class racer with one caveat -

Nothing wrong with that, that's the sort of $hit that makes us all different.

Note Sid has slipped a dollar sign in on the cuss word.  There are two reasons for that -

One reason is that we have a cuss filter on this board.

The other reason is that it'll never be as inexpensive to do this right as you hope.

But after a few years, one realizes it's only money and a screwed up FICO score, so why not?   :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Deltadog

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 11:42:55 PM »
The Datsun stuff ruled SCCA in the 1970's, and if you take the time to go through some of the vintage road racing boards, it's likely you'll find a lot of sources for parts.  While the BRE 510 was the car to beat in the day, those little B210s have a smaller frontal area, and what appears to be better aero, so it might make for a solid class racer with one caveat -

Note Sid has slipped a dollar sign in on the cuss word.  There are two reasons for that -

The other reason is that it'll never be as inexpensive to do this right as you hope.

But after a few years, one realizes it's only money and a screwed up FICO score, so why not?   :cheers:
Thank you for the encouragement and you can't take that money with you rite

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 01:19:27 AM »

But after a few years, one realizes it's only money and a screwed up FICO score, so why not?   :cheers:

Every time I see a Subaru or an Acura now I think of this forum, those words have new meaning to me. :evil: By the way, there used to be a spell check here too but some time ago it made like seagulls & flocked off. :-D
  Sid. 8-)

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 10:37:57 AM »
Their, they're.

It never chequed for grammer.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 10:58:55 AM »
Yea, that would infringe on SSS's territory as head handlebar holder and walking grammar text book and enforcer
 :-D
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 11:05:51 AM »
Ya, shoor, you dang betcha I'se the guy that's got the majic fingertips at the keeboared.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 12:14:24 PM »
Their, they're.

It never chequed for grammer.
Aye no...Taht`s a good thing two............ :dhorse:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 12:45:41 PM »
People make a good forum & this here are one kooz of Y'all. :mrgreen: We don't get much subaru here! :-D
 We are an eclectic bunch of automotive weirdo's that are informative, helpful & definitely entertaining. Must be the exhaust fumes.
  Sid.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 12:43:06 AM »
The first build is the best time to spend the money for good hand tools, machine tools, welding equipment, and to learn how to use them.  Then, struggle and make the effort to build, rather than buy, your way out of all of the problems you encounter.  The experience will pay off for the rest of your life.