Author Topic: Galvanised Chassis?  (Read 13974 times)

Offline Ron Gibson

Re: Galvanised Chassis?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 09:55:01 AM »
"the guy who resurrects"  If anyone is going to do that, they have to get over "SALT FEVER" first. I've never heard of anyone being cured permanently without relapses.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 11:31:50 AM »
I'd recommend using an epoxy primer after sandblasting. I used a 2-part zinc chromate epoxy primer from Aircraft Spruce and a polyurethane topcoat on my chassis. It hasn't been on the salt yet, though.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 11:51:07 AM »
If/when you have to make a change to the chassis, powder coating is a real bear to get off enough to weld properly and difficult or impossible to paint to match. With Neil's solution, touching up is a piece of cake.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 12:19:56 PM »
You mite look at Rust Rocket (RR) too. I used it on a rusted rear deck of my auto and has not displayed any sign of rust since (over four years). RR says it is good for more than ten years. Not sure how long it would last on virgin steel. One downside; it is a bit too thick to spray. Maybe it could be thinned but not sure what it would do to properties. Some that have used POR15 say RR is better.

John

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 12:33:41 PM »
I've successfully used a product called Hammerite "Rust Cap".  It's made for industrial equipment (rusted or not) and was designed to use in the field.  It's very thick and can be brushed on (although they also sell spray cans -- it doesn't go on as easy or thick) and dries and sets up to a "hammered metal" finish.

I can't get it in California any longer.  I bought it at an industrial supply supply house and later Home Depot carried it.  It was available in about six finishes -- a couple of grays, black, aluminum and bronze.  I used a couple of colors on all the chassis parts not chromed plus the roll cage.  It's easy to use and didn't present any problems when we modified the cage after a couple of years.

It's held up for 15 years -- I think it's a great product if still available.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 01:12:35 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 12:42:01 PM »
Stan, are you ill or something?  Everything okay?

You appear to have made an entire post without calling someone a dorky name or being a snot at a non-roadster guy or something.  This just ain't you.

Whatsamatta? :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 12:57:06 PM »

Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2016, 01:14:00 PM »
Well, it needs to be well ventilated -- so I'd guess it wouldn't work on coupes.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2016, 01:53:46 PM »
   Out of respect for the Newbie from Down Unda, I refrained from saying this earlier.
   Now that the sites two "Official Grammatical Dictators" have spoken (They being Mr. Slim and Mr. Back) I would like to announce that Galvanize is the proper spelling according to Webster's New World Dictionary.  One wonders how much they have now forgotten.
                                                                                      Zank You Very Much,
                                                                                                Oldz One Run, out.....................................................
                                                                                                        :roll: :wink: :-D :mrgreen:
Bob Drury

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2016, 02:41:56 PM »
Bob, you know as well as I do that I remember a good many things from the 60s and 70s.  Dozens of things, I bet.

And one of 'em is that it's very common for Brits and others to use an n"s" instead of a "z" when spelling words such as "galvanis/ze".  Out of courtesy to a newcomer that obviously had a valid question that I thought should be posed undisturbed I didn't mention the error of his ways -- posting in the landracing.com Forum with first receiving written permission from Stan and or me to use alternate spellings.

Will they never learn, Stan?  Okay, everyone else -- coffee break is over -- back on your heads. :dhorse:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2016, 07:43:55 PM »
I did finish paint a race bike 3 times ... never planned on welding it again either

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2016, 03:24:23 PM »
Another consideration to take into account is that galvanizing is "slick". If you have 2 fretting surfaces that are dependent on friction to stay put, it will not.