Author Topic: Galvanised Chassis?  (Read 13971 times)

Offline duocentodownunder

• New folks
Galvanised Chassis?
« on: July 19, 2016, 04:50:10 AM »
First Post, so please be kind!  Building a car for the salt (Studebaker Avanti) and was considering galvanising the chassis for protection from the salt. Worthwhile?

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Galvanised Chassis?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 05:03:56 AM »
Hi Ian. I replied to the idea already in your introduction before I came across this posting.

My recommendation is don't do it. I stated the reasons in the other post but basically galvanizing and welding don't get along well together.

Pete

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 09:06:39 AM »
My advice, build your chassis, lightly sand blast it and use POR15 as a base coat. Then top coat it with the color you want. POR15 breaks down in sun light. It is one of the best metal coatings out there. It does not chip easy and it is impervious to moisture. I talked to the POR15 guys at PRI and they were really interested in Bonneville because of the harsh environment. I like products that work and ones where the people connect with their

http://www.por15.com/

My 2 cents.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 09:10:29 AM »
I agree with Pete, especially if you are using galvanized material to build with. If your talking post weld galvanize, that opens up a whole new can of worms. Galvanizing is a hot dip coating process that can re-leave residual welding stresses, so are you going to have a chassis when your done, or a pile of spaghetti.

Smaller parts can be cadmium plated, not sure how well that would hold up thou.

Rouse  
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 11:58:19 AM »
Fumes when welding are pretty toxic too aren't they ?

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 12:19:46 PM »
Yes, the zinc fumes are toxic. Even in small doses it gives you symptoms that are similar to a case of flu.

Regards, Neil
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 12:51:58 PM »
Fumes when welding are pretty toxic too aren't they ?

Welding fumes can be somewhat toxic but nowhere near what zinc fumes are. There are lots of us who have welded for years without any detrimental effect. Smoking is generally much more toxic and exposure to zinc fumes for even a few minutes can result in zinc chills which feels like a really nasty case of the flu.

Pete

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 11:12:19 PM »
Salt water is especially harsh on zinc plating.

It depends on how many years you will be racing.  My bike is on the tenth year and I would be hours of work and $ ahead if the frame was made from stainless steel.  The higher initial cost would be more than offset by the lower maintenance.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 11:40:14 PM »
  Two Word's:  Powder Coating.  I built My Studebaker in 1997/98 and had the entire chassis/roll cage/and all suspension parts powdercoated and they are the only parts that have held up.  Now headers is another story.  I have had four sets of headers done (two by Jet Hot) and nothing works if your exhaust is as close to the ground as mine.  The best results have been aluminum metal spray which is basically a giant oxy/acetelene torch with a big air compressor and a wire spool that feeds to the torch and is melted into droplets and blown on to the parent metal.  It is commonly used to repair large diesel blocks and heads to build journals back up.
  Back to the powder coating, if I was starting over I would powdercoat the entire car, body and all.  In fact, when I croak I intend to have MY body powdercoated and given to Stan Back for His living room.                           O.R.B., out................................................................. :wink: :roll:
Bob Drury

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 12:29:40 AM »
I'll remember that Bob since I'm going to live forever, what color would you like to be? :-D
  Sid.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 12:44:14 AM »
  Back to the powder coating, if I was starting over I would powdercoat the entire car, body and all.  In fact, when I croak I intend to have MY body powdercoated and given to Stan Back for His living room.                           O.R.B., out................................................................. :wink: :roll:

Capital idea!   :mrgreen:  That would give him a great way to store the "hat" you made him!   :evil:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline salt27

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 01:04:02 AM »
Too bad O.R.B. already promised himself to Stan, he would have made a great raffle item for Landracing.com.
   :roll:

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 01:29:08 AM »
  Probably the same color as all of my Bonneville T shirts, coffee stain/50W oil brown............... :-P
                                                                               ORB, out...................................
Bob Drury

Offline duocentodownunder

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 04:35:42 AM »
thanks Guys for the input.It was more about whether any body had tried it. I am aware of the toxic effect of the fumes when welding gal however I had no intention of reworking the frame after dipping, it was just about maintenance and perhaps kicking a goal early when its down to her bare bones. I will stick with  plan A and blast,etch prime and powdercote . might help the poor guy who resurrects the car in 20 years and attempts to put it back on the street! 

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 07:53:02 AM »
"...the poor guy who resurrects the car in 20 years and attempts to put it back on the street! "

Well, that's one way to look at it. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com