Author Topic: 2016 Maine Event Picture Post  (Read 12583 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: 2016 Maine Event Picture Post
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2016, 07:56:28 PM »
You had to travel how far to see a moose?  8 miles toward Mqt from the house we saw this yearling at the C-store along US41.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

gkabbt

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2016, 08:03:47 PM »

Jon, did not and have not seen a moose on this trip.   Just thought the sign was strange!

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2016, 08:08:34 PM »

On my post from Thursday, I mentioned seeing some special (to me) folks.

I knew this picture would probably not be good because I was shooting into the sun but anyway:

Donna, Joe and Fred all in one pic!

REALLY GREAT seeing Donna back on the bike after her get off from several years ago. Joe told me she made 3 low speeds runs on the test and tune runway and then told him she was ready for the mile. The pic above is that run and IIRC she ran an easy 164. Later in the afternoon when I was down at timing, she made another pass at 180 and change.
Hopefully tomorrow she'll be back over 200!    Go Git'em Girl!!!!

Gregg
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 08:26:05 PM by gkabbt »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2016, 08:41:12 PM »
I woulda recognised Joe's stance if the sun was completely blanking out everything else.  I've got scads of photos of him at ECTA 2 Club hat giveouts and he's never changed at all.  Donna I can recognise - for other reasons :evil:  And then there's Fred.  Hi, Fred!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

gkabbt

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2016, 08:55:13 PM »

A B/FR with headlights, that can't be right can it Stan?

DW

Dan, That is Ed Braces roadster that ran at Bonneville several times, and IIRC him telling me, set records as a FR in the early to mid 2000's. As Jack posted, it does have plates and Ed told me he does take out for cruise nights hence the headlights. By the looks of the patina, it's exactly as he ran it at Bonneville, and I'm assuming that's why he ran it in the FR class.
He was just here having fun with this piece of history!  Probably should have run T/O!

Gregg

« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 09:08:39 PM by gkabbt »

gkabbt

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2016, 09:04:52 PM »
I woulda recognised Joe's stance if the sun was completely blanking out everything else.  I've got scads of photos of him at ECTA 2 Club hat giveouts and he's never changed at all.  Donna I can recognise - for other reasons :evil:  And then there's Fred.  Hi, Fred!

LOL and true on BOTH accounts and Yep, Hi, Fred!

gkabbt

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2016, 09:12:34 PM »

2nd is Fred Vance.....After seeing him in Wilmington in June and now here, it is REALLY good to see him out and about after his health issues. I thought my drive from NC was bad but he drove here from Texas! I guess, as the expression goes, "Don't mess with Texas" is true.....LOL!  grin

Gregg:  As the famous Mr. Spock was quoted, sort of, I sure hope he and his best lady "live long and prosper!"

Let him know that we think about him here in Saltville.
Jim and Mary Ann.

Jim, Fred had a BIG smile on his face when I told him this and he said "Hi"

Gregg

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2016, 09:26:07 PM »

So, this afternoon I'm down at timing and Greg Neal make a pass on his bike and afterward the course goes on hold.  
Joe Daly comes down the track and stops just before the mile, get out of his truck, picks up something and throws it on a trailer he is towing.
As I was leaving this afternoon, I see Joe over in Greg's pit and is there to present Greg with this:

Yep, dead woodchuck that Greg hit with his motorcycle!  :-o  Thankfully, it did not cause any issues on Greg's run.  
Talk about weird!  :-D

I guess if this woodchuck had the headlights from that B/FR, Greg might have seen it and it might still be alive!  

Gregg

You should name the woodchuck Glendale!  :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2016, 09:36:33 PM »
Ed ran a blower on the 32 at Bonneville. Blower is on his rear engined modifier roadster now. That's the car he spun last year at Loring after the brake disk exploded and punctured the rear tire. The '32 held many records at Maxton.

gkabbt

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2016, 09:42:29 PM »
Ed ran a blower on the 32 at Bonneville. Blower is on his rear engined modifier roadster now. That's the car he spun last year at Loring after the brake disk exploded and punctured the rear tire. The '32 held many records at Maxton.

Thanks for that Ed.....I completely forgot about him telling me about running the blower on the roadster.
I do remember seeing a pop-riveted panel in the hood where the blower poked through.

Gregg
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 09:45:25 PM by gkabbt »

gkabbt

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2016, 11:07:59 PM »
We will try to do something next year. Had a hectic this year. Had all intentions I even entered earlier but it didn't work out.

Wayne, Sounds REAL GOOD. If you're not at Wilmington in September, I'll catch up with you at PRI in December.
As I posted earlier, you and your team will LOVE this track!!!!

Gregg

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2016, 08:56:47 AM »
Another great time was had by the Ron's Hobby Shop Special racing team.  Using a Ford flathead engine  that ran on the salt more than 40 years ago setting the XX/STR record the old girl this time burning gasoline hit 169 in the mile and toped 179 in the mile and a half. It was a FUN ride in the high cross winds a big Thanks to everyone involved in the LTA once again the Loring experience was outstanding.   :cheers:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

gkabbt

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2016, 05:35:18 PM »

Mr. Ronnieroadster Sir, You have a PM.

Give me a call!

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2016, 05:54:32 PM »

Thought about this on the drive down to Mass. from Presque Isle today.

Ever wonder what the damage would be if a suicide door decided to open at speed?
Well it happened to Jordan Hanson driving the Sam Sampon 1034 C/GCC Friday and it was mostly cosmetic.
We saw him pull to the right, guessing near the mile, and Fire and Rescue rolled. Later heard it was the door opened!
I don't know what the speed was at when it opened but he went through the 1 mile traps at 75.908 MPH.
This car will run the mile at 160 and the mile and a half at 177!

I'd bet somebody had to clean out their driving suit.  :-D  :-D  :-D

Gregg
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 06:21:38 PM by gkabbt »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2016, 06:12:34 PM »
I thought he'd found an oval track to race at in the evening!  :-D :-D :-D

Pete