Author Topic: Blower restraints  (Read 6156 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

Blower restraints
« on: November 22, 2016, 01:36:53 AM »
l believe the SCTA rulebook requires "SFI-type" blower restraints. Have user-built restraints made it past tech inspection?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Jack Gifford

Re: Blower restraints
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 01:51:03 AM »
Any comments? :?

No off-the-shelf blower restraints will work with my engine. So I'll need to come up with something. Any clues about how the inspectors will interpret "SFI-type"? Lacking any such input, I would probably do them similar to the way I did my blown V8 for NTPA competition- a couple of safety belt extenders (web straps looped-and-sewn into steel ends) looped over the blower case and bolted to four steel straps to anchor at available points on block and/or heads.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline 37str

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 06:54:08 AM »
     I would make a plate that bolts to the blower that the straps attach to. Then sew your stapes to it, looping straps over the blower my not resrtain it.

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 06:59:01 AM »
I have had Bob Stroud make custom restraints for several of my customers.
Joe
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline jdincau

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 10:43:21 AM »
The usual way to attach the straps to the blower is with a 1/4 inch aluminum plate sandwiched between the injector and the blower case. Slots are cut in the plate so that straps can be sewn in. The other end of the straps get metal fittings that are pit pinned to fittings on the engine. You would have to call Stroud or DJ to find out if they would do the sewing. If you duplicated the material, thread and sewing pattern a local upholstery shop would probably suffice.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 11:16:09 AM by jdincau »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 08:52:55 PM »
l believe the SCTA rulebook requires "SFI-type" blower restraints. Have user-built restraints made it past tech inspection?

The answer to your question is yes at Speed Week this year.
   With my home built flathead V-8 combination I used 1/4 inch thick aluminum plate sandwiched between the top of blower and induction for the belt upper mount point. For the lower mounts I used seat belt steel plates and in between used seat belt material that's covered with a fire barrier sleeve. The lower mounts attach to  head studs which have hex rod couplings on them so I now have standoffs to bolt the lower mounts to.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 08:55:33 PM by ronnieroadster »
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 01:28:39 AM »
Thanks for the help.

Are seat belts less flameproof than commercially available blower restraint belts?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 01:30:22 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 11:44:07 PM »
Okay... I managed to adapt a used SFI restraint system. Problem solved.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru