Author Topic: Idris Elba land speed  (Read 8742 times)

Offline jacksoni

Idris Elba land speed
« on: July 04, 2016, 01:56:22 PM »
In course of filming a Discovery Channel series "No Limits" which is airing tonight on same, Idris Elba-British actor- broke a UK LSR set by Sir Malcom Campbell in 1927. On the Pendine Sands, with a Bentley Continental GT Speed. Went 180+ on 174 record. Of course it gets variably reported as "world" record but we all know about reporters. Anyway, it might be of interest to some.

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/idris-elba-breaks-flying-mile-uk-land-speed-record-article-1.2215277
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: Idris Elba land speed
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 05:17:56 PM »
Thanks for posting this news.
But - since the car can go 206 mph right from the dealer, I can't get to excited about an actor getting in the car, turning the key and taking the record from a car that was built before all of us were born.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 06:41:57 PM »

Nice car, but I prefer to build it with my own hands, tow it across the US and then have the nerve to drive it!

My 2 cents,

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline BHR301

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 07:22:40 PM »
I agree with don and BR, interesting show but a total waste of a nice street car for no good reason.

Bill

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 10:45:19 PM »
Wow that was hard to do wonder if he returned the car to the dealer after the run.  :dhorse:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 12:48:42 AM »
Rental. :evil:
  Sid.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 01:06:52 AM »
The article says it is a UK record...

Robin UK

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 03:20:07 AM »
Typical bit of TV company fluff. Take an actor with an interest in cars - he's done other episodes on rally driving etc - and find a hook to interest viewers. In this case, yet another Campbell connection since the idea was to drive faster on Pendine Sands than Campbell all those years ago. Job done - call it a UK record. Er no, that's Colin Fallows at over 300mph. Decent publicity for the sport I guess although any "record" claim that isn't kosher only serves to confuse imo.

Robin

Offline BHR301

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 02:26:56 PM »
Another reality show with no reality involved.

Bill

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 02:46:47 PM »
The record now held by Idris Elba can be attempted by anyone else who races on UK sand. The event was staged for TV, but was held under the governance of the UK Timing Association (UKTA) who have run events at Pendine for the last two years and run record events on airfields.  The UKTA Production Car class record is the one which Idris now holds, set on May 3rd 2015.

Robin is correct that the MSA fastest non wheeldriven record speed in the UK is Colin Fallows at 301.76 mph on tarmac (the outright UK record). Primetime (Colin's race business) chose not to use this beach and whilst others with jet and rocket have used the sands they did not set records. Yes, here in the UK we record speeds of jets/rockets separately from wheeldriven cars.

As to being unimpressed with the speed from a "200 mph car" on sand.  Idris found out, as all who go to Pendine can experience, that there is a loss of performance on the wet and 'soft' surface. His speeds were the average for the mile distance and the record speed of 180.361 mph is the average of two runs in opposite directions so cancelling out any wind speed. His best run was run 3 west to east run at a speed of 182.713mph.

The car was straight from the factory and appeared pristine on the morning of both days of filming.

Anything I have not answered plese post a reply or for abuse send me a pm. I have a multilayer fire suit just in case.

Just in case you are wondering .............. I am a Co-director of the UK Timing Association.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 02:49:00 PM by Malcolm UK »
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 02:56:47 PM »
The article says it is a UK record...

Many may think that a "UK record" can only be adjudged by just one organisation. Sorry 'world', wake up there are now two in the UK.     

Thanks for making this clear to the Landracing.com readership Bo, because as a racer who has come to Britain to race within the UK Timing Association family and has ridden on Pendine Sands, you are well placed to describe the experience.  I think we found better sand conditions for you and our other racers.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 09:30:34 AM »
Is Campbell's record still on the books, as it was timed by another organization?

The sand is slippery, for sure.  The density altitude on the beach is primo.  That helps quite a bit to make up for the sand's increased rolling resistance when compared to B'ville.     

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 05:09:32 PM »
Is Campbell's record still on the books, as it was timed by another organization?

The MSA National British records in Class A (over 8000cc engine capacity) for the flying start mile and flying start kilometre are held by Malcolm Campbell at 174 mph & change on Pendine sands. [Other wheeldriven cars (smaller cunic capacity and electric) have gone quicker in the UK].