Author Topic: Downhill car goes to over 100 MPH  (Read 1541 times)

Offline tallguy

Re: Downhill car goes to over 100 MPH
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2023, 10:14:27 PM »
I'm curious to know why adding more weight would not increase speed.  Any answers?

It generally would/should, if the event track has a consistent downhill slope.  But if it's pretty much level near the end,
then the added friction caused by added mass/weight may not help as much as hurt (due to added rolling friction -- including
hysteresis damping in the tires, and a little more friction in the wheel bearings). 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 01:22:08 AM by tallguy »

Offline tallguy

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2023, 01:18:59 AM »
Why would the chute not be in a tube within the body?

I have never thought of (prior to deployment) a chute package as being very aerodynamic.  As a general rule, I have -- for a
long time -- believed that the air should be "opened" smoothly at the front of a vehicle, and "closed" smoothly behind the vehicle.  A great example of both would be the Carbinite car as built by Rob Freyvogel.  I think that its tail end may have been
a relatively small spherical ball that was used to push the vehicle at the start of its run.  Not literally a point, but not huge. Regarding a parachute's packaging, it seems to me that it could be contained within a tapered (in order to smoothly close the air behind the vehicle) 3D shape that is similar to a long, thin cone with it's rearward end being the "point" of the cone.  If the cone itself is launched, could it not function as a pilot chute, and pull the main chute into the airstream behind the vehicle?  The cone could be replaced as necessary, if it is damaged from abrasion during the slowing-down portion of a run. 

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2023, 03:31:58 PM »
Why would the chute not be in a tube within the body?

The cone could be replaced as necessary, if it is damaged from abrasion during the slowing-down portion of a run.
I don't know much about parachute mechanisms (I just sit up to slow down), but the cone you are talking about could just swing down on a hinge and then the pilot and main chute could pop out. No need for the tail cone to be sacrificial.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2023, 06:21:14 PM »
Well Tall, if you put your two comments together.... the one about debris on the track and the sacrificial tail cone... they can not exist together...
Don, a spring  assisted cone could pivot, depending on the speed and the remaining aero in the back... not problem on the 100 MPH... could be an issue above 250
Doors are the way many folks have overcome the drag, but Ack will tell you a little drag at the back of a bike is not a bad thing...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O