Author Topic: Noonan gets in the ECTA 200  (Read 8671 times)

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
Noonan gets in the ECTA 200
« on: September 25, 2006, 04:55:32 PM »
John Noonan gained entry into the ECTA two club this last weekend riding the new bike he's bought from Guy Caputo...  

I don't remember his exact  speed but wanted to take the opportunity to congratulate him here...

K ( it was over 210 thou )
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 05:29:17 PM »
hey keith, can you explain the rule change that I assume kept john from getting the record to go along with it? i'd rather it form the horses mouth.

BTW, thanks for your groups hospitality and professionalism... and the one on one "rookie orientation."

bryan hildebrand
jornic motorsports

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 07:37:42 PM »
Actually there was a rule change last year that required the vehicles to race in the lowest vehicle category that it is capable of... the motor size can still be increased for record purposes... but not the vehicle...

This of course differs from the SCTA... but our racers have voted twice on the issue and still want to be able to run "up" in motor size.

Somehow Guy and John ( who's new here ) didn't get that and signed the bike up in a streamliner category... the title of which is "Unlimited"...   I'm not sure why we call it that but I'm going to look into that this week...  In any case.. after John had made a 200mph pass on a 179 record...  it was announced that he got in the club unofficially,  however the record wasn't certified...  so registration allowed a class change (free of charge) to put the bike in the right class and John then had to run against a 211mph record.  He then ran well over that record to gain entry into the ECTA 200mph club...

The man was a perfect gentleman about the whole thing... and it had ZERO to do with him really... he was just going along with the procedures that some of our experienced racers had laid out for him... and our Tech guy didn't notice... ( our tech guy really felt bad about him not getting a record too )

Had John been racing here two years ago.. he'd have gotten into the club on that record....  no issue...  things change... fortunately for US... he got in the club despite the miscues in registration...  Guys... it's no big thing because he could and did run again and set a billy bad ass record...  as an organization I feel that we gained a new member of our 200mph club that adds prestige to the organization....  So hey John... thanks for making the effort and coming back East... we were proud to have you.

By the way.... John is now the 3rd Person to gain entry into 4 200mph clubs.... with Texas left I'm fairly sure he'll be the first Bike guy into 5 clubs....

hope that clears up how all that happened... and Honestly I don't care much about your opinion of racing up in class... mostly cause I agree with it not being the correct way of doing business... it's what our competitors want...and they are the ones we listen to....
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline 2fast4u2c

• http://www.TigerRacingProducts.com
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 08:43:21 PM »
To clear things up, I mistakenly signed John up in a class that I shouldn't have.  No big deal, John got a shake down pass and we ran against one of my old records in the APS/F 3000-4 class and took that one of 211mph with a 214mph run.  John did a great job and was truly a great sport about the whole ordeal.  I was of course very embarassed because I knew better.  I had completely forgotten about the class rule change in which I am in total agreement with.  My thanks to the ECTA staff for allowing John to change class at no charge and to rerun his attempt and success into getting in the 200 Club.

Great Job John, you truly are a champion in this sport.

John was awarded his 200Club Hat and T-Shirt by Scott Guthrie and Keith Turk.  It was a great weekend had by all.

Guy
300mph or Bust in 1 mile!!!

Tiger Racing

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 08:53:34 PM »
sounds like everything all came out in the wash and jn got the hat. good for everyone.
kr

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 10:12:17 PM »
Quote from: KeithTurk
hope that clears up how all that happened...

it does. I only witnessed the reaction of the current record holder and it felt from a bystanders perspective there was something else afoot. as in an agenda not on the org's part, but the record holders part. i'm glad for everyone involved in worked itself out in the wash. professionalism is clearly shining through.

and Honestly I don't care much about your opinion of racing up in class... mostly cause I agree with it not being the correct way of doing business... it's what our competitors want...and they are the ones we listen to....

where does it say I have an opinion in my original question? personally I dont care. I just wanted to hear what happened from either you or John before it turned into a 36 page internet disertation by individuals who were not privy nor even at the track the day it happened. maybe I am misreading what you have posted here? I have already heard an less flattering alternate version from someone who was not there.

regardless I appreciate the event and organization..

more importantly congrats john.

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 10:18:45 PM »
Hey Brian... sorry bout that... No it wasn't directed at you... that was for the group of yahoo's who haven't ever been to Maxton that will jump in next and tell us we suck because we don't do business their way....

Absolutely not for you... I enjoyed your bike and attitude... and your willingness to help out during the orientation....

No sweat...

K
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 02:31:51 AM »
Congrats Mr Noonan on another bonza effort  :D
Gary
slower than most

dirtydave

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 08:35:00 AM »
sorry for my ignorance but did john make it into the DLRA 200mph club whilst he was in Paradise sorry i mean Australia,, :lol:  :shock:  :shock:
only asking cause there were runs done in FIM and DLRA and not sure who did what when and who for  :roll:  :roll:

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 01:36:24 PM »
John, great job :D

When I see you again at Bonneville? My new camera is ready to go...
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Freud

New Camera
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 02:20:25 PM »
Pork Pie, what's the new camera?

Do your previous lenses work on it?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 03:57:19 PM »
Hello Freud,

my new camera - I will sell my complete old analog stuff, found out that the correction factor from the old lense generation can not work properly on the new digital generation, not only this, to get everything out of a digital lens you have to use a full "sensor" chip - the one with 1.3  or 1.5 length factor to the lense has no chance to reach the full chip quality.

Selling the old stuff will not so much money, but in some years I can only give the stuff as a donation to the museum.... :wink:

The real problem is, that they have now problem to developed slide films properly - the three I done at the salt in August was killed in the photo store during the develop process - 1 1/2 to 2 aperture to short - in other words - too dark. Some of the shots was Andy Green when he lost on his return run (BNI record) his chute - the chute is hanging in the air, the rope is hanging in waves from the rebouncing in the air, the car is about 25 yards in front of the rope end driving away. What a picture....and too dark. Due to this that it's aslide there is nearly nothing to safe....
I can try to make prints, scan them and then use photoshop to clean it up......the same with a series of 24 picture from Tom Burkland - from opening the airbrakes, 1st chute, 2nd chute, 3rd chute, rolling out...

It will be a big full size Canon body......

To August next year I will get my equipment together.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Freud

Used Camera Values
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 06:29:25 PM »
What I paid $25k for in the past is now worth maybe $2.5k. I hate it.
The high quality f2.8 300mm internal focus Nikor lens is now a dinosaur.
I have come to rely on the autofocus so much, because of failing acuity, that I would be lost with a manual focus lens. I'm also too lazy to check the exposure as frequently as I should.

Oh well, we just take the hit and pay what we have to to stay current.

If the slide is only 2 stops underexposed, you should be able to save it with the scanner and Photoshop. I hope so. We hate so much to lose good images.

I hope to see you soon.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 06:41:27 PM »
I still use my old Nikon stuff but over the last few years have moved away from slide film for the same reasons you mentioned. Hard to buy, hard to get processed etc. I shifted over to color print film for the old cameras.

The color print film has improved quite a bit  from what it was when slides became the media of choice for professional photographers, processing is much more available, and it is much more tolerant of exposure errors.

Good luck saving those images, I know how frustrating it is to get the perfect shot and find out the exposure is bad or the lab did not process the film properly.

I plan on continuing to use my old Nikon stuff as long as I can buy film for them.

Larry

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 02:28:28 PM »
We are all in the same situation - once we have to move over to the digital.

The scan and clean up with the photoshop will be my work over the long winterdays.

Therefore that they killed my slides, in the moment I work out that this guys makes me a complete set of prints from the slides in 12 x 8 inches, which I can scan with my pro scanner - have to see - I hear them crying :wink:

Meanwhile I have to check 1300 digital picture from the World of Speed :?
Pork Pie