Author Topic: Diary update  (Read 8664 times)

Offline RICK

Diary update
« on: September 25, 2006, 12:41:08 PM »
Started the build on April fools day, made it to SPEEDWEEK!  I figure the car is about half done. Still needs body work and paint, lots and lots of tuning and adjusting,etc. But I was able to make a run down the salt,,,and I couldn't have done it without your help and support.
    THANK YOU!
  Thursday morning before speed week, I just started throwing tools, parts, stuff into the trailer. Anything I could think of that I could possiblly need to finish the car. We left home around noon. We stopped for the night at a rest area in western Wyo.  It was 11:30 pm on Friday, We decided to 'camp' there for the night. While Kathy filled the air mattress I wired up the tach.
       We got to Bonneville on Saturday, found a spot to pit and started the final asmble of the car. Ibolted in the seat belts and secured the seat for the last time, disabled the steering lock,etc.  It was a long list!
  I thought I was ready?  Rolled the car over to the Tech/Safety inspection area. It didn't pass. That list was even longer!
  I can't rember the Inspectors name,,, But need to thank him for his HELP. He said my window net was not large enough. There was a possiblity that my feet could escape in a crash. But rather than sending me home, he helped me devise a net extension from a ratching tie strap that I had back at the trailer.
 After another day of modifications, I was able to start the licencing procedure.
  Sundaynight. Salt Talks. I didn't get there till late. What a great event. Thanks go to Mr.& Mrs. Seldom Seen. Got to meet back up with Nostalgia racer Gary Hart, meet Freud, Jon Amo, Had an inspritational talk with the only guy that has five, thats right, count 'em, 5 RED HATS. What a night! And I don't know who was responsible for that fireworks display,,,but WOW! VERY impressive. We pitched a tent at the bend,  That was an experance all in its own.
  Back on the salt,,,,,,The car ran sweet up until 150. Then picked up and floated, wanting to spin . I didn't want to get in that club.Best speed was 157.XXX  
  No added weight/ balast, no wing, Thrown together in about 4 1/2 months. I'm satisfyed.
  Also need to thank my inspirational mentors, the Bakersfield Boys,BIGTIM44,Wasted Willie, the guys that went out there with vintage/nostalgic bodys,not slippery late models. Thanks to the GH crew and the guys from MEGA-SQUIRT for helping Kathy make sure I was tied in the car tight etc. And a BIG thanks to the voleenters from SCTA.
  We left Friday morning, hit a small heard of antelope in Wyo. that evening. No damage to the truck body. Bent the fender over on the trailer. About ripped the gooseneck hitch out of the bed. Got it home safe, and am looking forward to next year,,,,,,,maybe I'll have it finished by then.
  Thanks again to everyone that posted an answer/reply to my questions,, and thanks Jon for making this site

Thanks,, RICK
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline RICK

Diary update
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 12:46:15 PM »
thanks   RICK

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Diary update
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 02:33:00 PM »
The car looks great on the salt and nothing bad about 157mph :D .  I didn't know if you were there or not, so sorry we didn't meet up :cry: .  You did a great job getting the car ready and racing in such a short period of time.

c ya,

Sum

terry russell

Diary update
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 04:20:38 PM »
4&1/2 months? Iam d..impressed. That is great looking ride!
much luck! Terry

Offline Stan Back

Diary update
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 04:51:56 PM »
Rick --

What class and engine did you end up running?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RICK

Diary update
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 09:39:48 PM »
Class= AA/CGALT
  Engine= 572,  GM Bowtie talldeck 4.5x4.5 , +.400 oliver rod,Crower crank, GM rect. alm. head, 11.5 SRP, Crane solid roller .680,Dart intake and a 1250 Dominator, MSD, etc.
  Trans=T-56, 6 speed from 98 GM F-body,,,Added steel shift forks and some kevlar lined blocker rings.
  Rear= 9 in.,31 spline splool  3.25 ratio

After we got back, it took a while to wind down. then we had to fix the gooseneck hitch[damn antelope]. We put a set of slicks on 3437, and took her to St. Louis, Gateway International Raceway to see what we could tear up next.
  First shot out off the trailer with 18 psi in the Goodyears was 10.52@128mph. Too much power and not enough weight for the salt, was just right for the pavement. let the air down to 9 1/2 and it was party time. When it was all over we ran a best of 8.92@171. then the smoke came out fo the clutch. I'm guessing it didn't like the Land Speed ratio.
 Next step? I'm thinking about mufflers and tail lites.

thanks,    Rick

ps, Gotta thank Bret Kepner for the great photos. This ones going over the mantle.

Offline Freud

Congratulations Dennis, Chris & Brett
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 10:53:20 PM »
I have two parties to congratulate.

WHat you have accomplished in this short time is remarkable. Then to take it to the drag strip and advance as you did........another kudo. See u again ay B'ville next year with even better results.

Next...........Bret Kepner for the exquisite foto. He is to be commended. His association with world class fotos has rubbed off on him and if his raspy nicotine dominated voice ever deserts him he can do as well with the camera as he does with the mike. His fully loaded recall of people, cars, events and foto suggestions might put him in a fotogs Hall of Fame even if he has to whisper his thanks to the people that have unknowingly shown him the right way without ever realizing that they were dealing with a genius in oh so many different fields.

Both of you excell on the salt. Kepner could improve at dragracing in Arkansas if he can beat those teenagers two years in a row.

FREUD

`
Since '63

Offline Bret Kepner

• Bret Kepner Photos
Re: Diary update
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 09:17:58 PM »
WOW! Talk about resurrecting an old thread!  :-o

I tried to remind myself several times over the past three years to post a copy of the photo to which Rick referred and I stumbled across it tonight and finally kept the thought long enough to post it.

Here's Rick at Gateway Int'l Raceway in Madison, IL, circa 2006.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 09:23:23 PM by Bret Kepner »
Bret Kepner
BRETKEPNER@Prodigy.net
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 12:20:41 AM »
GREAT SHOT_ GREAT LOOKING RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Freud

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 11:55:46 AM »
Kepner has developed an amazing skill with low light fotos. He had an idea and just kept swingin' away at it until his stuff is incredible.  I

saw the shot and knew immediately that he had done it.

He did a set inside the Budweiser Clydesdale's barn that were to die for.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 11:58:21 AM »
lets see,, lets see!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 11:59:52 AM »
Yes!! Yes!! Yes!! Do it today, I'll be history tomorrow!!!!  PLEEEEZE Bret!! Show us!!  :-D

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Ervin

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 10:17:47 PM »
I was at Ricks home, and he has that photo blown up and framed over his fireplace. I couldn't find his original build diary. I remember he started with a pile of tubing and a barrel of resin. In a few short months he had a running car. I tried to follow the build on line,,, seemed like he was building faster that I could read about it.
  Bret's photo has a great angle, depth of field, color separation, and just a feel of "power". I hope to get my ride in front of his lens someday.

ERVIN

Offline GH

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 08:22:55 AM »
I used to drag race with Rick at Wentzville Missouri back in the 90's. When is he coming back to the salt?