Author Topic: Wilmington June Picture Post  (Read 15087 times)

gkabbt

Wilmington June Picture Post
« on: June 15, 2016, 02:36:38 PM »

This is the usual place holder for pics from Wilmington this weekend.

I'll be driving up to Wilmington tomorrow, taking pics Friday, Saturday and Sunday and will post the links in this thread.

Also, anyone who has pics, please feel free to post here!
To ALL racers: Be Safe, Go Fast and Have Fun!     :cheers:

Gregg

gkabbt

Re: Wilmington June Picture Post
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 05:30:26 PM »

Day started off a cloudy and with very low humidity made it seem really cool. Around noon the sun was out and the day turned out gorgeous!

When I checked in here at the Wilmington Inn yesterday, the owner/manager told me that he has not really heard any major news about the Amazon deal at the airpark so maybe we will be here for a while longer.....fingers crossed!
Today, I asked Brian about the status of the September meet and he told me that air park authority would let him know around the end of July.
So, there MAY be a September meet after all.....fingers crossed here as well!

I was told there are around 120 entries so the racing folks should get in MANY laps!

Enough babbling from me so here is my Google Photos link from today in the pits and in inspection line:

https://goo.gl/photos/mkaY27C8Nd3m5H836

As usual, I hope you enjoy,
Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 06:29:56 PM »
Late this afternoon I was over at the bike inspection for some pics and was EXTERMELY GLAD to see this "young" gentleman.....Our very own Fred Vance!

As many of you know, he had a stroke back in March and is here at this meet. He is looking good and was told is doing very well but has a minor speech issue that is getting better day by day. He does have a bike at this meet that Brenda Sue will be piloting!

REALLY GOOD seeing him here!!!!!

Gregg

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 06:52:40 PM »
Gregg, that Lincoln is the Bee's knees!

Bungee cord hood tie down - just like the Kiekhaefer Chrysler 300.  THAT car's got more than just a vibe going on - it's screamin' real deal!

Enjoy the weekend, Chief!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 07:16:15 PM »
Chris my first thought was "Son you're gonna drive me to drinking if you don't stop driving that hot rod Lincoln..............."  :cheers:

Smiths Speed Shop in Eaton, Ohio -driver told me the block was bored 40 years ago so they are right with your podunkmobile time frame!  :-D :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

gkabbt

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 07:32:52 PM »
Gregg, that Lincoln is the Bee's knees!

Bungee cord hood tie down - just like the Kiekhaefer Chrysler 300.  THAT car's got more than just a vibe going on - it's screamin' real deal!

Enjoy the weekend, Chief!

When I was a kid, my across the street neighbors had a '54 Lincoln Capri like that and I just absolutely LOVED that car!
This one REALLY brought back those memories!

Weekend is shaping up to be fantastic.....Wish You and Mrs. Midget were here!

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 07:46:35 PM »

One car I enjoyed seeing today was Mike Brown's Belly Tank Lakester. He had it here only on a trailer for preliminary inspection and I got several pics of it.

Here is the 1st pic on the trailer:

VERY well thought out and constructed car and here is the link to his build diary:

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,14960.0.html

Gregg

Offline tauruck

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 08:46:13 PM »
Thanks for those pics Gregg. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 11:21:06 PM »
I really hate posting pictures here. But I really like those Lincolns since I was in high school and they were late model used cars. i wish I was closer to those guys. I have stuff they might like to use.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 11:24:27 PM by RichFox »

Jessechop

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 07:21:34 AM »
Late this afternoon I was over at the bike inspection for some pics and was EXTERMELY GLAD to see this "young" gentleman.....Our very own Fred Vance!

As many of you know, he had a stroke back in March and is here at this meet. He is looking good and was told is doing very well but has a minor speech issue that is getting better day by day. He does have a bike at this meet that Brenda Sue will be piloting!

REALLY GOOD seeing him here!!!!!

Gregg

That's great!

LittleLiner

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 01:04:29 PM »
Great photos!  Wish I were there.   Also wonder if the spoiler will keep that Firebird out of Gas Coupe. . . .

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 01:16:29 PM »
They're sure to catch that in Impound.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 03:06:08 PM »
It must be so NICE to race your car or bike and not have to spend the next week cleaning salt off your vehicles! Then find all kinds of rust and corrosion a year later anyway.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 04:07:01 PM »
Thanks for the pictures. In the words of an old buddy from Buffalo who used to meet me every year on the salt , "you need salt for the ambiance". RIP Charley. I wish they ran somewhere close to Montana on pavement

gkabbt

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 06:38:01 PM »

Another absolutely GORGEOUS day here in Wilmington. Temps started in the low 70's this morning and got up to the mid 80's by the late afternoon. Seems like we always have a tailwind on inspection day and then cross winds on race day. Today was no exception. Lite winds in the AM and moderate winds in the PM.
Still EXCELLENT racing all day with (IIRC) the fastest bike at 226 and the fastest car at 223.
Weather for tomorrow is supposed to be about the same so we should have more EXCELLENT racing!

Here is my Google Photos link for todays pics:

https://goo.gl/photos/TABEJyz2GCF4JsoF7

As always, I hope you enjoy,
Gregg