Author Topic: Seat height on P/P bike  (Read 9744 times)

Offline MJ Williams

Seat height on P/P bike
« on: June 12, 2016, 04:23:57 PM »
I'm going to have knee surgery around the end of July to clean all the junk out under the knee cap.
My issue will be I don't think I'll be able to fully bend my knee by the time BMST comes around.
In the P/P class I know I can't change foot pegs or location, was wondering if I can build up my seat a couple inches to help the bending of my knee.
I'm looking to figure something out so I can run this year.
Thank you, Mike

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Seat height on P/P bike
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 05:53:25 PM »
Disclaimer:  My story is SCTA/BNI rules, not BMST, so don't necessarily consider this as gospel.

Nancy rode the ZX14 in P/P 1650 and just barely could get her feet properly planted on the ground.  The bike's clearance was the item that would be measured as well as seat height, with (we assumed) most emphasis on correct clearance.  We substituted a very soft cushion for the factory seat and gained about a half inch, and some more by narrowing the sides so her legs could better get her feet to the salt.

No issues in inspection before running or in impound.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 09:37:08 PM »
Are you sure you want to take a chance with that knee racing, when you think you may not be able to bend it properly?
Call or write a note to Drew and ask the question.  IIRC PP is required to appear showroom stock.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline yamagamma

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 04:25:26 PM »
Having experienced complete knee replacement surgery, my best advice is take up cycling. I clock at least 50 miles every week and it's the only way you can maintain flexibility in the joint. You need about 130-135 degrees of motion in the knee for a proper racing tuck.

A month after the operation I could barely bend the knee it was so swollen, but I kept working it on a stationary bicycle until I could actually pedal a bike. You might be cutting it a bit fine expecting to race in august.

Last time I ran in Modified I lowered the right peg an inch with a small bracket. (I don't think any tech inspector would begrudge that mod in production as there is no speed advantage gained) but this year I don't need the bracket any more! The cycling works!

Otherwise I'd stick a small cushion down the backside of your leathers. Hope this helps!
Never underestimate an old guy on a Yamaha!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 07:42:21 PM »
"I'd stick a small cushion down the backside of your leathers."

Now there's a real practical solution.

(You might look like you missed a potty-break, tho.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 08:00:25 PM »
Don't blame me (if it looks like you're sitting on a sack of potatoes) -- I don't do the porta potties at BMST!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline yamagamma

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 12:06:08 PM »
It's called to Beyonce look! :cheers:
Never underestimate an old guy on a Yamaha!

Offline MJ Williams

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 07:54:39 PM »
Thanks for the answers, I'm still waiting for the rules committee to get back to me.
It does seem silly to want to ride but anymore the way it seems is you need to take any shot you can at the salt flats these days they may not be here tomorrow.
If I do go with the pad in the seat idea I'll just tell everybody it's my Grampers.

Offline MJ Williams

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 10:47:50 AM »
Finally got a ruling. Not allowed to do anything to the seat or put any padding outside my leathers. I'll have to see what fits "down below" inside my leathers.