Author Topic: Louise's Salt Lake Tribune article  (Read 17607 times)

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
Louise's Salt Lake Tribune article
« on: June 08, 2016, 08:10:13 PM »
From the June 7, 2016, issue:

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/3973645-155/op-ed-action-not-more-study-is

The headline says it all!
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline modelAsteve

Re: Louise's Salt Lake Tribune article
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 08:56:54 PM »
Great article- sums it up really well!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 09:22:08 PM »
Good, Louise- thanks.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 11:35:26 PM »
WTG  Louise  I am going to order a dozen reprints  to mail to my 3 Congressmen and one to every office that my senators have in the State!!  One of which is on the Committee
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 08:52:12 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 01:09:20 AM »
We are fortunate to have someone as articulate as Louise voicing our concerns. :-)
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 02:13:00 AM »
Great job Louise.  Thank you for all your work.

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 06:08:07 AM »
WTG  louise  I am going to order a dozen reprints  to mail to my 3 Congressmen and one to every office that my senators have in the State!!  One of which is on the Committee

Sending copies to your Congressional representatives is a great idea!  Being one myself (but not BLM!), I know that nothing strikes fear into a Federal employee like a Congressional inquiry.  Since (to quote BLM) Bonneville is "Managed by the BLM as an Area of Critical Environmental Concern and Special Recreation Management Area...", shouldn't preservation of its environment and recreational usage have priority over mining? It's time for BLM to answer for their prolonged foot-dragging, and recent threats.
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 02:18:42 PM »
  Louise, thanks for a great job.  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 04:16:14 PM »
Louise has offered me a pdf version of her Op-Ed that I may offer to others.

Here's the plan!

If you will write a personal note to your US Representative and your 2 Senators ---We will send you a copy.  Here in AZ I have already made contact with racers who have agreed to drop it by their Representatives office personally. Contact office before mailing it asking to whom to follow up with works also..

Thanks in advance for helping us Restore to Preserve the Salt Flats!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline half-fast racer

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 06:01:55 PM »
Would it be possible to post the pdf here? I would definitely like to send it to my representatives.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 08:01:06 PM »
Great article Louise however I was surprised you did not mention other draws that the salt flats have to bring commerce to Wendover.

I think it is a mistake to make this issue entirely about the racing community. I am sure that the movie industry, advertising industry, and the spectators which attend other events like the rocket archery events I have heard of, also bring dollars and help generate public interest in the preservation of the salt flats.
Not to mention the historical notes about the Donner party and how the rail road across the salt flats opened the door to the western U.S.

It is easy for some folks to find no common ground with racers, from many of the comments I have seen in some places some who only see the high dollar streamliners think it is a small group of rich playboys with toys. Especially the environmental folks might have some difficulty getting worked up over race car drivers, but they might make a better connection with other uses.

I think that although our personal focus is on the racing aspect is our primary concern we are also trying to preserve a national treasure for other users too. As you have mentioned in the past it is one of the truly wild lonely places in our world where a camper can see first hand the struggles of the Donner party and other early pioneers. People who are interested in geology and history know it is an important marker for major geological change in the past, with the Bonneville flood event, which created huge geological changes in the western U.S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonneville_flood
http://hugefloods.com/Bonneville.html
http://wildlife.utah.gov/gsl/history/

I think as we continue to beat the drum to save the salt we need to make an effort to broaden the appeal of our message by researching and talking about some of these other aspects of the saltflats and their historic place in America and the geological changes that shaped a continent and the settlement patterns of the Western U.S.

http://historytogo.utah.gov/people/ethnic_cultures/the_history_of_utahs_american_indians/chapter3.html
http://www.oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/bonneville_benjamin/#.V1n_0uROKVA

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 08:36:10 PM »
I'll do that.  How do I get my copy?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 08:44:58 PM »
Hotrod, (reply 11 above), is right, right, right.  I think he has very well posed the most promising way forward for any further arguments for saving the salt.  In addition, if the video released a bit earlier were re-scripted to include these elements and have the racing somewhat de-emphasized, it would have the potential for reaching a much broader scope of interest groups and supporters.

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 09:20:44 PM »
Hotrod, (reply 11 above), is right, right, right.  I think he has very well posed the most promising way forward for any further arguments for saving the salt.  In addition, if the video released a bit earlier were re-scripted to include these elements and have the racing somewhat de-emphasized, it would have the potential for reaching a much broader scope of interest groups and supporters.

Agreed
Dan
Tucson, AZ