Author Topic: Bite the hand that feeds you - No SpeedWeek?  (Read 24087 times)

Offline superleggera

Re: Bite the hand that feeds you - No SpeedWeek?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 01:20:14 PM »
Best way is to educate the voters and media directly and make sure the they can't forget the very simple message.  A big billboard in SLC itself and one by Wendover would do wonders... and it isn't that expensive to do.  (any billboard graphics folks who are familiar with how to make happen?)

[note: no STS folks associated with this graphic in any way but I like the idea!]

[Image removed here]

I'm sorry to report that landracing.com was asked to remove the image by Save the Salt - Louise Noeth, their publicity person.  Her reasoning is that while the Original Poster did disclaim any connection between the image (the one with the url SavetheSalt.org edited in) and Save the Salt the organisation.  Nonetheless, the image per se could easily be taken/lifted from this site - without that disclaimer - and circulated.  It sure wouldn't help StS gain any goodwill from any party with whom they might discuss or work with to do something positive.  And I'm going to choose to remove the image from here to show my interest in remaining positive in support of Save the Salt's efforts.
Jon a/k/a SSS
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 05:32:28 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner

Offline jl222

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 01:22:16 PM »
  The BLM is canceling racing on the salt flats because of negative comments?

Their might be a Roxanne Tea party :-o

JL222

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 01:32:19 PM »
It has not been cancelled as yet. Lets see what can be worked out. Negative letters do not help.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2016, 02:10:08 PM »
Who'da thunk. A bunch of irate citizens write letters to the head office, the local office, the governor, the legislature, the papers, the president, the congress, the dept of interior etc etc  accusing them of>>>>>>>> (you fill in the blanks) and of being>>>>> (you fill in the blanks) and the bully says we are going to take our marbles and go home. Geez. Glen, I understand that negative comments might not accomplish a lot but is tough to make a bunch of positive ones. It is a tough deal as we all know. Hard to figure what to do and no matter it will take time. We are all in a hurry since Speedweek is 2 months off. :(
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2016, 02:12:59 PM »
I like most of you I think have been patiently waiting for change.  We have some great volunteers who are working hard on our behalf and I am very thankful for that.  But I think it is going to be a long inevitable battle that will devolve as it goes.  We need to take every step to we can to resolve this in the best possible way for all involved.  

However,  if and probably when that fails?  Then what?  You can tread lightly till the end of time and it may get you nowhere.  At some point things have to be said without the sugar coating and names will have to be called out and fingers pointed.  Plain and simple.  

Offline BHR301

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2016, 02:18:51 PM »
Somebody remind me, who does the BLM work for?

Bill

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2016, 02:19:03 PM »
If you are a business owner or an employee in the private sector when you screw up you are going to hear about.  Either your customer or your boss is going to come to you with a complaint.  If you don't handle the problem you are going to be out of a job.  In the private sector you better be qualified to handle the position,  the people, the negativity and have an understanding of the field you are involved.  Only in government do we have people that are none of these things.  Their biggest skill is to survive and rise within the system.  Unfortunately that system rarely rewards people doing a good job,  but rewards people for being the best at playing the game.  

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2016, 02:32:21 PM »
If there is a speed week you can bet the BLM guidelines will be more STRICTLY enforced than in the past so you better read them and heed them!  :x
It appears that bullying is quite the norm at the federal level!  :-(
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline bbarn

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2016, 02:43:34 PM »
I am guessing someone at the BLM is calling for a "safe place" they can go and not be criticized, challenged or ridiculed in - Seems to be the latest trend in society these days.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline typo41

• Huntimer Photography
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2016, 02:46:43 PM »
It has been requested that this topic be removed as to slow down the storm

OK moderator(s) your call.  Do you/we back down from the shit storm that is approaching?

And for me, no one got it. The postings on how to again go after BLM with this topic is the same as the postings from before. You guys are not seeing the bigger picture. Let things lie.

It is their sand (salt) box.

Tony Huntimer
Huntimer Photography

Offline desotoman

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2016, 03:03:40 PM »
The key word here is Government. When dealing with them expect to have things take 5 times longer than the private sector. It is just a fact of life.

Example, a friend is trying to get a garage built at his house. Building department says it will take over a year to be approved, but if he would like to spend $6500 extra, it can be done in 6 months, and if he is really in a hurry $14,000 will get it done in 3 months.

When dealing with them you need more than patience, you need to be a Saint, or a multi millionaire.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2016, 03:23:55 PM »
Is it easier to ask forgiveness than permission?

What about all of the Wendover businesses that need Speed Week to pay the bills?  Similar to the local Sturgis business need the rally?  Do they have a voice?  Are they helping with this fight?  I believe they have just as much right as the racers.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2016, 03:25:38 PM »
Tony, I disagree that this should be removed.  If the BLM is holding SpeedWeek Hostage, do we give in and pay the ransom... only say positive things about them..... sounds like Montana again...
Or do we elevate the problem to their bosses and their boss's boss.  
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2016, 03:33:09 PM »
       It is their sand (salt) box.
THERE ISN'T ANY SALT LEFT.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline BHR301

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2016, 03:55:09 PM »
Ron...It's not their sandbox, the BLM works for us..the tax payer and I think it's about time we as a people remind them of this little fact.

Bill
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 04:36:05 PM by BHR301 »