Author Topic: Video. North American Eagle on Youtube Autoblog channel, posted on Dec 13, 2013.  (Read 2777 times)

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
Shows Jessi Combs driving the F104 Eagle to 440mph.

At 3:40 you can see the car leaving and sucking dust into the intakes. A second through a few seconds later, you see the exhaust and it looks like a small amount and then a lot of dust is exiting the exhaust. My question is, is that dust coming from the intakes and out the exhaust or does the turbulent air around the exhaust make it look like it's coming from the exhaust?

Does anyone have any video links for other thrust powered turbine cars sucking dust into the intakes?

Does this car have the lowest intakes when compared to a turbine engine thrust powered plane?

Does this car have a full roll cage to protect the driver like a dragster/funny car? I'm assuming it doesn't since there would be little room inside for such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TswO_fO-gu0

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 05:17:13 PM by J79 »
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
Every time we run the Eagle, when we return home, we do a complete wash down of the engine internals and dry it out by conducting an engine run. After that, we borescope the engine to look for any damage. After all the runs in the dirt, we've been fortunate to come away with no damage. Part of the reason is that we do a very good fod patrol. Another part of the reason is the J-79 is one tough engine and can take a great deal of abuse. We've made a total of 48 runs with 44 of them having been on dirt (Black Rock, El Mirage, Edwards AFB and Alvord Dry Lake). A great deal of the dirt you see coming out of the engine is exactly that, dirt! We roll out very gingerly to about the 1/2 mile mark and reaching about 150 mph before you go into full military power. At that point, the engine is turning 7400 rpm and is now sucking all the air it can digest. Then, roll the throttle into minimum afterburner and when you get a good light you push it into full AB. Now you're rolling along quite nicely. You are now at about the 1 mile and just keep it pointed toward that V in the mountains about 30 miles away!
Ed

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
Roll cage!  We've discussed that many times over the years. The general feeling is that it wouldn't do you any good at 500 to 1000 mph anyway. If it did, they would have them in all the fighters. There is no real structural framework to attach the cage to anyway. If you look inside most of the absolute land speed cars, they have little or no roll cage either. We figured the best and safest practice is to build stability into the vehicle using advanced aerodynamic concepts and validating the concepts through data aquired on each and every test run. At this point in time, at 500+, the Eagle ran straight as an arrow with nearly no steering input. The aerodynamics of the Eagle have also shown a small increase in down force throughout the length of the fuselage. Our CFD analysis indicates we will receive about 800 lbs of lift as we transition into transonic. With 5300 lbs static on the nose, 800 lbs of lift is not very much. We also have the ability to change the angle of attack of the canards on the nose to increase or create more down force as necessary.
Ed

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Roll cage!  We've discussed that many times over the years. The general feeling is that it wouldn't do you any good at 500 to 1000 mph anyway. If it did, they would have them in all the fighters....

Ed, had Craig Breedlove tell us basically the same thing the last time he tested a Jet Car on the salt.  We were looking at his new car, and mentioned that it didn't seem to have any roll structure... there was just a cockpit sticking out the front

He said "you don't build a Learjet to be able to crash it into a mountain"....

Hope you get to check the transonic and sonic stability... we are cheering for you Ed  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jl222

About 9+ min you see a mirage of the Eagle in the mirage? 1st time I've seen that!

JL222