Author Topic: Lois Opperman  (Read 2731 times)

Offline Freud

Lois Opperman
« on: May 28, 2016, 01:34:41 PM »
Lois Opperman "closed out her accounts" yesterday.

Lois, the wife of Bob Opperman, battled cancer and succumbed yesterday.

Bob raced for many years and when he quit racing the two of them

volunteered at the SCTA events. The last job I saw then doing was

delivering food and liquids to the workers. Lois also worked in the timing

tower. This is another huge loss to our Salty family.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Lois Opperman
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 02:01:21 PM »
God Speed Louis--when ones mate goes  :cry:  lots of us will not be far behind
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 06:01:18 PM »
My wife has been in contact for many years, the last few weeks were very hard for her knowing the condition of Lois. My wife was getting ready to go and spend a few days with her when we got the sad news. Both Bob and Lois were close friends for over 32 years. I have a heavy heart with her passing.  :-( RIP Lois.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

velocity

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 09:25:55 PM »
This was a lady who was resolute in her life, but it lost much of its luster when she buried Bob. They were so even and well-matched, enjoying so many forms of motorsports and contributing for more than 20 years at Bonneville.

Don't know them?

Understand this: Lois worked alongside Barrett recording run details long-hand in case the computer hard drive had a stroke. She was human verification system and said many a prayer for many a racer they they went by. Bob had a pair of binoculars glued to his eyeballs when a car went whistling past the tower on the long course. If he got up and headed for the door, you knew the vehicle was in trouble and he was his way to help - hundreds of times. Bob's in-depth mechanical and racing skills plugged gaps on so many levels so many times. When the tower personnel abruptly changed, they stayed involved for while, but the feeling of usefulness waned and they came less and less.

No matter. They were thrilled to be of service for so many and when last I visited Lois in her Lake Havasu home, those memories were still rich indeed.

Vaya con Dios girlfriend, been my pleasure knowing you both!

LandSpeed Louise

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 11:52:38 AM »
Thank You, Louise.

Your perspective was right on.

FREUD
Since '63