Author Topic: Racer Alert - Please help protect "dust trap" study on salt  (Read 12211 times)

velocity

Recreational Users, Racers, and Interested Spectators

Please help to protect this small, humble experiment, part of the scientific investigation of Bonneville's ecology. Unlike EVERY previous study, what is currently underway not only satisfies the mining lease terms with the BLM, but for the first time has an expanded scope to hopefully banish the word "inconclusive" from the final report and analysis. This level of attention is a blessing for the salt and if additional funding from the National Science Foundation comes through this marvelous ecosystem will finally get the full science work-up it so dearly deserves. 

Attached are a couple of photos of the "dust traps" that are now on the Bonneville Salt Flats, set up by Dr. Brenda Bowen as part of her expanded study to get some scientific data on the growing dirt, mud, dust problem on the Bonneville Salt Flats. By the time Speed Week rolls around thewre will be six (6) in total. Two of them can be easily seen now:

1 - About a mile straight out from the access road;
2 - About half a mile towards the north from where the salt lay down pipe enters BSF just outside the Salduro Loop.

So far, so good. Both have withstood some major wind and rain and seem to be collecting material.

As Dr. Bowen has described the experiment, "By analyzing the material deposited in the collectors we hope to identify the composition and potentially the source of windblown sediments onto the salt surface.  Please feel free to share these images with the racing community so that they are aware of what we're up to.  We are hopeful that the traps won't be tampered with or vandalized.  In the photo is Hannah Stinson, an awesome Geology student who is working with me on this part of the project." 

Thanking You in Advance,

LandSpeed Louise

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: Racer Alert - Please help protect "dust trap" study on salt
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 06:49:16 PM »
The girl is cute but the photo of the salt flats sure is depressing. All I see is mud and water. Not much salt.
Anyway, good luck with their experiment. In my non-geologist opinion I can't see how wind-blown material can affect the composition of the salt much.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 10:09:57 PM »
Isn't Dr. Brenda Bowen the one who smirked her way through a video posted here a few months ago?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline joea

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 11:31:38 PM »
Not to be coy ....but ..isn't "the growing dirt, mud, dust problem on the Bonneville Salt Flats"...a result of the severe diminishment of the salt flats....and resultant exposed mud and dirt ....as a function primarily of the degradation inflicted by the mining industry ...?...

I ask , as other areas such as other side of floating mountain (with markedly tougher access) , that isn't subject to mining...is in much better shape

also...what "Eco" system"?...as that considers important living organisms ..?...

Asking out loud due to my ignorance ..

velocity

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 08:02:29 PM »
This is a scientific view that will consider all aspects, mining playing an obvious integral role.

An ecosystem is a holistic entity meaning each part relies upon the other.

The dust traps are a tiny part of the investigation and help help shape a comprehensive perspective something the salt has been lacking for decades.

Hope that helps.

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 10:57:51 PM »
[quote  All I see is mud and water. Not much salt.

Don
[/quote]

Water on the salt flats is not necessarily a bad thing at this time of the year.

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline BHR301

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 09:17:17 AM »
It would appear they are going to study the salt until the it is all gone, then there won't be a problem requiring the government or anyone else to do anything.......problem solved.

Bill

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 11:14:37 AM »
There is a study underway to track the demise.  They are looking signs of what may have happened.  There could be tracks of the ecological violators.  Maybe even railroad tracks.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 02:12:19 PM »
Is somebody from The Utah Alliance planning to attend this seminar?
  Sid.

Offline joea

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 02:47:14 PM »
"""They are looking signs of what may have happened.  There could be tracks of the ecological violators.  Maybe even railroad tracks."""

in my best Laurence Fishburne voice from the movie The Matrix....what if I told you..."signs of what did happen"...and "tracks of ecological violators"...is currently on the other side of the railroad tracks....?....

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 03:22:33 PM »
Dubai imports sand to put up buildings. It is "extracted" from another sand box! Probably "managed" by the feds!  :?
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 03:24:28 PM »
There is a study underway to track the demise.  They are looking signs of what may have happened.  There could be tracks of the ecological violators. /quote]

Thanks Stan, I was unsure what this load of scientific tosh actually meant ............ "Bowen and her students are examining the spatial heterogeneity in sedimentology, geochemistry, microbiology and mineralogy at BSF to interpret the natural variability and the impacts of the processes that influence the environment over human to geologic time scales".

Sitting on this side of the pond wondering the timescale of the studies. Do they need to be 'geologic'?

I once worked for an extractive mining industry and much of what we did swamped any 'natural variability', but we powered the industrial revolution which changed Britain hopefully for the better.

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

velocity

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 06:04:09 PM »
A Utah Alliance member has been invited o attend Dr. Bowen's presentation and promises to take copious notes.

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 08:10:47 AM »
If this study works, I suspect it would disprove that any volume of dirt on the track is coming from other sources, yet again enforcing the idea that the surface dirt is from lack of salt, not dust depositing on top of it.  This is very valuable information to further prove that the salt is diminishing rather than being mixed in solution with dust caused by a change in weather conditions.   Unless someone adds dirt to the collection bowls and skews the results.  Is there a web camera on those collectors to prove that they are not being tampered with?  They should have more out there, hidden, camouflaged.   
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 
Racing is the evil modification of insanity.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 05:37:05 PM »
Kinda hard to hide or camouflage anything out there but it is becoming difficult to find salt! :evil:
  Sid.