Author Topic: Rolling Rectangular Tubing?  (Read 9676 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Rolling Rectangular Tubing?
« on: May 03, 2016, 10:23:44 AM »
I need to put a large radius bend on some 1"x3" x .120 rectangular steel tubing for my motorcycle frame project. I bought a Harbor Freight tubing roller thinking that there were dies available for that size tubing, but now I can't find any. There are some dies available from SWAG Off road, but those bend on the narrow side and not on the wide side. I would estimate the bend to be about 10' radius.

So does anyone have any ideas on how to bend this tubing without kinking it? I have a shop press and was thinking about using that but have not tried it yet.

Thanks
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Polyhead

Re: Rolling Rectangular Tubing?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 10:36:38 AM »
we routinely roll rectanglar tubing at work, but it is tricky.  Kinking isn't the only worry, collapsing the inside wall is a big problem as well.  We have a large, and I do mean large, can handle sheet up to 6 feet wide and has 24" rollers, rolling machine at work.  I've yet to see a result on square tubing that was exactly what we wanted, even when we roll it in small steps.  It's also heavily dependant on where the seam of the tube is.  We sometimes get tubing with the seam on the short side and that's a disaster every single goddamn time we try to roll that crap.  It'll split, people will swear, it's bad joojoo.  When the seam is on the long side it's not a lot better.  If you roll it with the seam on the outside of the radius, it can split, if you roll with the seam on the inside of the radius it'll kink.  On 2x4 box we are lucky to get good results on anything smaller than like a 40" radius.

What we have done in the past is roll with the seam to the inside of the radius and just let the inside collapse inward.  We then roll some plate to a matching radius and seam weld it to the tubing to cover the collapsed area.  Pretty cheese dick stuff.

Pretty much we just avoid doing it.  It makes us angry and irritable.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 11:09:50 AM »
It's a lot less heartache to just fab it out of flat sheet. :-P :cry:
  Sid.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 11:21:59 AM »
They guy I used that bent 76 x 38 x 3mm had CNC equipment and he also battled. The top section does get a slightly domed form sometimes. Not an easy or DIY deal.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 11:43:41 AM »
  Don, You might contact Art Morrison Ent. in Fife, Wa.  I believe they have non-kink mandrals for 2"x3" which means You would have to split it and reweld the tubing but that part would be easy to do.                        Bob
Bob Drury

Offline John Burk

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 12:40:04 PM »
You could fill with lead or sand before bending .

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 04:19:59 PM »
    Fill it with wax. Make some rollers for your Harbor Freight roller.
     Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 10:23:37 PM »
  Back in the sixties I had a roll bar bent by a outfit in Portland called Albina Pipe.  What they did is filled the tubing with what appeared to be roofing tar used for mopping "hot" tar roofs.
  How do I know this?  Because I had to use a torch to get the crap out of the joints before I welded it.................. :-P :-P :-P
                                                                                                              O.R.B., out....................................
Bob Drury

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 10:41:23 PM by 4-barrel Mike »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline tallguy

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 12:52:28 AM »
Don, I suggest you send it to a shop that is expert on tubing fab.

I used to use Master Metal Products in San Jose, CA.  There are
others in the San Francisco Bay Area (such as Superior Tube),
but if you are near Seattle, I assume there are some capable
shops up there who have done great work for the aircraft industry.

Don't expect it for a low price, though.  It's like that old sign I used
to see in a Shakey's Pizza Parlor:

Quality is like buying oats.

If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price.

If, however, you can be satisfied with oats that have already gone
       through the horse, that comes a little cheaper.

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 12:10:30 PM »
Depending on the radius, how many pieces and what it's worth to you will probably determine what to do.
Crush rolling is probably cheapest, (caves in the inside of tubing). Hot forming, (feeding through a pass through furnace, which is easy to make)
or hand bending like this guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO-OatK4HzI
I've used all methods, none of it is much fun, especially if you have to please a customer.
John

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 12:40:33 PM »
I really like the way the guy bends the tubing and it really comes out nice but first you need a really "bitchen" fab table like he has!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 12:50:47 PM »
Don, pack it tightly with wet sand.  Freeze it.  Bend it.

I want to check out your progress  :cheers:
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 01:06:45 PM »
Is round tubing out of the question?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 02:14:45 PM »
I need to put a large radius bend on some 1"x3" x .120 rectangular steel tubing for my motorcycle frame project. I bought a Harbor Freight tubing roller thinking that there were dies available for that size tubing, but now I can't find any. There are some dies available from SWAG Off road, but those bend on the narrow side and not on the wide side. I would estimate the bend to be about 10' radius.

So does anyone have any ideas on how to bend this tubing without kinking it? I have a shop press and was thinking about using that but have not tried it yet.

Thanks
Don

Don, just to clarify are you trying to bend this the hard way or the easy way, in other words are you trying to bend the 1" section or the 3" section. I've had some success doing this sort of bending with my Hossfeld converted to a roll bender.

Pete