Author Topic: EL MIRAGE?? MAY??  (Read 22309 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: EL MIRAGE?? MAY??
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2016, 07:14:16 PM »
How 'bout if I put Dan Warner's report right here?

Southern California Timing Association  
El Mirage Impound Insights - May 14/15, 2016

The weather - oh the weather. High winds in excess of 25 MPH seemed to be the order of the weekend. Upon my arrival on the lakebed Friday noon I had the door of my truck ripped from my hands and open so far it bent the trailing edge of the front fender in about three inches, ouch. Wind blew Friday until the evening when the sun went down. Saturday morning around 10:30 the wind reappeared in full force and blew all day and night. The wind on Sunday was back in the morning and blew all day . The entry count was above 160 with one round run on Saturday. The course was moved for Sunday and held up for two complete rounds.

Three new El Mirage 200 MPH Club members were added to the roster at this meet. First up was Jack Rogers of Evansville, ID. Jack has made the cross country trip several times in an attempt to get the Merlot colored hat of the Dirty Twos. Jack drove his bright red Camaro in the A/GALT class to a speed of 211 and change on the 210 minimum. Erin Sills, San Francisco, CA,  was the pride of the motorcycle group as she rode her 1000-P-P BMW to a record of 204.7. Erin ran both rounds on Sunday at 206 and for the final record at 207.  Erin became the third woman to join the club. The final inductee was Chris Hart from Yakima, WA. I mention the home towns of these three to indicate how popular El Mirage has become since the loss of our salt. Chris had the new Firebird of Shields Racing running in the D/BGCC class and set the record at 211+.

In addition to the two car and one motorcycle 200 Club qualified records we had 25 car and 8 motorcycle records set. The first is the J/GS of Brant-Speranza-McLeish, driven by David Brant, at 170.4 MPH. Young Hayden Huntley drove the G/FL class Martin Enyart Huntley lakester to a record speed of 179. The Rice Vigeant team saw one of their records fall to Hayden so they ran their J/BGL entry to a record speed of 168.07 with Mark Vigeant driving. Steve Moody was back at the wheel of the Mariani Farms E/BFMR entry. Steve ran an incredible speed of 241 adding 11 MPH on the old record. The White Goose Bar crew picked on Greg Waters to shoe the Waters/Manghelli/Romero F/BGMR to 214, breaking their own 210 record. The Fast Four Special roadster was brought to El Mirage by the Montana Fast Guys and Chris King took the ride to a V4F/BGMR record of 140+. Ruth Lundring got into the low slung XF/BGMR of Erik Hansson and ran the record speed 0f 171.2. Moving to the rear engine modified roadsters, Rick Maclean drove the Kraut Bros D/BGRMR class roadster to a record speed of 197. Jim Lindsay and his team of Little Bastards, also the name of the car, came to California from Washington state and set the XF/BGRMR record at 160.1 MPH. David Isley had his A/GRMR running well enough to reset his own record to 223. Pete Aardema brought the Aardema Braun Lattin F/GRMR to the meet. This car ran the hand built engine that was featured in Hot Rod magazine a while back. Cal Rothe drove the roadster to a record speed of 170.6.The Vintage Hot Rod team of Cummins Beck Davidson Thornsberry, Dave Davidson driving, put a A class engine in the famous 911 roadster. Running in the A/BFR class Dave had a record speed of 255.9 MPH.

Finshing off the roadster records we have the Eyres & Son E/BGR class entry running a speed of 224 with Eric Eyres driving. The Vintage Coupe classes had a few records starting with the XXF/VGCC of Lattin Stevens, last year's points champion Billy Lattin driving. Using the Jim Stevens built OHV conversion heads, similar to Ardun heads, Billy set the class record at 173.2 in the '31 Austin coupe. Neil McAlister took the XXF/VGCC record  at 188.5 driving the BMR Ferguson Racing 1932 Ford coupe. Classic category class AA/CBGALT of B C Racing, driven by Tim Cox, set a new record at 221. Tim's team mate Roger Beckman says a 240 is low hanging fruit for next month. Aaron Hale ran a great 215 in the Hondata CRX H/BGCC entry late Sunday afternoon. H & H Motorsports was back on the dirt with the G/BGC and reset last year's record to 184, Jeremy Teepen doing the driving. Jim Loving ran his Firebird in the ever popular C/GC class and set the record to 196, just a bit short of two club membership. Maybe next month. The itty bitty Honda coupe of Warnock Racing ran in the J/GC class with 300 MPH Pete Prentice driving. Pete set the record to 111, quite a change from his 300 MPH record of a few years ago. The Farrell Anderson Camaro was on the dirt to honor the late Ed Farrell. Sterling Anderson did Ed proud by setting the XXO/GC record to 165. Steve Tillack had his Toyota 2JZ powered Nissan coupe running in the F/BGMS class and set a record of 199.6, so close but still so far. The second entry of the White Goose Bar set a G/MMP record on Sunday after some minor problems. Newly married Tom Hanley, congrats to Tom & Kelly, drove the Goose truck to the record of 131.3 MPH. The family Kennedy are back and continue to set records. Last season, dad Bill and sons Dave & Dean all made 200 MPH club membership. This meet Dean Kennedy drove the C/GT Corvette to a 212 record besting brother Dave's run of 210 from Saturday. Tim Boyle made the trip from Canada to run his B/DT to 190 MPH. This run was the talk of impound for quite awhile.

Motorcycle impound had eight more  records in addition to Erin's  200 club run. Alp Sungurtekin rode his Alp Racing & Design Triumph in the 650/A-VF class. Alp set the record at 146.7. In the 1000 cc class Jim Robinson rode in 1000-A-VF setting the record to 149.9. Dave Iversen rode his 1000-SC-VG entry named Dave Iversen Knuckle, must be a Harley, to a record speed of 131.4. The Costella, Cunha & Bassano 1000-SCS-G streamliner had Tim Cunha wedged in and a new record of 184+. Self named John "Big Balls" Noonan rode his 1650-APS-BG 'Busa to another record of 251 MPH. Steve "Pappi" Chappell rode his 1650-P-P Shooting Star entry to another sub-200 record, 196.2 MPH. Pappi is moving to 200 a single MPH at a time. The 2000-A-PG class Harley of Jay Allen set a new record of 177 with a Chris Rivas prepped engine. Speaking of Chris Rivas, he  rode his Chris Rivas V-Twin in the 3000-APS-PBG class to an impressive record of 228.2 MPH.

Top Speed of the Meet was the Vintage Hot Rod entry #911 driven by Dave Davidson on that record run of 255.963 in the A/BFR class. Top Speed of the Meet for motorcycles is John 'Big Balls'Noonan at 251.143 MPH.

The June meet, 12th - inspection on the 11th, is set. All that is missing is you and your entry. Good luck to everyone in the upcoming season.

Dan Warner
Record Certification officer
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 07:20:05 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2016, 07:35:59 PM »
Was Chris's  228 on the "Bagger" ??, "Tuff" :cheers:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline MRK

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2016, 11:24:08 AM »
Was Chris's  228 on the "Bagger" ??, "Tuff" :cheers:
Not he "Bonneville" bagger that went 201 and change on the Salt. Brand new bike that he brought out last season and got in the "2 Club" with. I asked how the run went with the wind and all and he stated that he "found a pocket" and just kept rolling it on. The Rocket rules!!

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2016, 05:58:17 PM »
Not bragging here.  One of the few cars, it seems, that didn't set a record.  Or just feels like it.  Check the SCTA website -- it's almost unbelievable.  We had a good starting position, yet missed upping our record by 2 MPH.  Just a one-minute video for those of you that haven't been there . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTiRI0uje0g&feature=youtu.be

Well, it says blocked.  I'll send it to 4-barrel Mike and maybe he can post it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 06:01:56 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2016, 06:15:39 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTiRI0uje0g&feature=youtu.be

Well, it says blocked.  I'll send it to 4-barrel Mike and maybe he can post it.

It works fine for me.  I emailed you.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2016, 07:44:59 PM »
 The Stan Back roadster is white at the beginning of the run. Is it a light brown after the pass?   :?
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2016, 08:09:01 PM »
It blows right off.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2016, 01:21:49 AM »
I was pretty busy in Inspection on Friday and Saturday morning, but managed to see a few of you. Spent the rest of the meet helping my pal Charles Greenlaw (Xetex Racing Lakester) chase some fuel and Ignition gremlins. Only went 167. Maybe we will see you all in November......