Author Topic: FIM Rules  (Read 3792 times)

Offline knucklenutz

• New folks
FIM Rules
« on: April 24, 2016, 08:44:30 AM »
Pass Me The Salt Please Racing Team is planning another Knucklehead attack on the record books in 2016. This year we are looking at FIM . Unfortunately, we have been unable to find a rules book. Could someone be so kind as to supply a link please ?

Offline Malcolm UK

Re: FIM Rules
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 11:55:20 AM »
The thread FIM Classification (look about six below this one) on landracing.com will lead you to contacting contributor Pippi2 and the BMST website where the AMA rules are published.  [The FIM website still seems to have 'trashed' their rules and more importantly their speed records].
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 03:29:57 PM »
The thread FIM Classification (look about six below this one) on landracing.com will lead you to contacting contributor Pippi2 and the BMST website where the AMA rules are published.  [The FIM website still seems to have 'trashed' their rules and more importantly their speed records].

Malcolm, the records can be found at http://www.fim-live.com/en/sport/ranking/world-records-attempts/.  You have to click on 'See results'.

Not sure about the rules though.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 03:43:52 PM »
The FIM can be very leisurely about posting updated rules.  Fortunately they do not change much.  My method is to build to conform to the last published rules.  Then, I try to leave a week or two before leaving for the salt free from other chores so I can make any last minute changes after the new rules are published.   

Offline 631

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 08:34:11 PM »
 This link will get to the FIM library: http://www.fim-live.com/en/library/
    a. set the bottom left hand date bar to 2010
    b. type in 'world records' in the key word box

The regs pop up as a .pdf file with the 2014 being the latest. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 02:16:50 AM »
There are all sorts of rules in those publications and it is very confusing.  Pay particular attention to the "81" series in the back part.  Rules like 81.01, 81.02, etc.  Those directly apply to Bonneville bikes.

One thing that makes building an FIM bike a challenge is that they want pictures of the bike and detailed shots of various parts when you submit the entry.  This means the scooter needs to be put together before the last minute.  Another challenge is the need to have a thorough medical exam and pass the dang thing.  This can include a stress test and electroechocardiogram for us older folks.

Download the entry forms as soon as they are available and read them completely so you will know about all of the hoops you need to leap through.  It takes some planning. 

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 07:31:18 AM »
This link will get to the FIM library: http://www.fim-live.com/en/library/
    a. set the bottom left hand date bar to 2010
    b. type in 'world records' in the key word box

The regs pop up as a .pdf file with the 2014 being the latest. 

Veering slightly off topic ...

The 2014 FIM World Records document states (in Appendix 018):

Due to the new method of calculation, introduced by the FIM TECHNICAL COMMISSION in JANUARY 1978, short distance records made prior to this date are absolute and therefore cannot be broken.

Consequently, these records are definite and cannot be broken. They are included in a separate section of the World Records Book (1979 Publication) for historical purposes only.

Can anyone advise where I might obtain a copy of the 1979 World Records Book?

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 07:28:35 AM »

Can anyone advise where I might obtain a copy of the 1979 World Records Book?

I have not seen one let alone own one.

As you are in the UK there may be a copy at Auto Cycle Union headquarters. ACU House, Wood Street, Rugby, CV21 2YX. Telephone 01788 566400. Rowena Perks or Michelle Haynes will assist.

In the USA I feel sure that the AMA would help.

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.