Author Topic: Another Leathers question  (Read 4019 times)

Offline gordonr

• New folks
Another Leathers question
« on: April 18, 2016, 03:52:35 PM »
 I had Vanson make a set of leathers several years ago and I noticed they have a stretchy material sewn in behind the knees. I hope to run in the A/PF 1650 class. Will these pants pass tech?

Offline Sporty Dan

Re: Another Leathers question
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 10:09:35 AM »
The rules did change for leathers for 2016 so that road racing leathers would be acceptable. The best way to know for sure would be to contact Matt Shuss, the Chief Motorcycle inspector. motorcycletechscta@gmail.com He would be the one to say for sure if they are legal.

Offline gordonr

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 01:19:45 PM »
Thank you "Sporty Dan"!

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 10:26:38 PM »
Matt is no longer involved with the SCTA. You can contact Van Butler, section 16 in your rule book.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline gordonr

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 09:32:43 AM »
Thanks. Matt emailed the same info.

Offline Sporty Dan

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 11:46:21 AM »
Gordon, have you received a reply about your leathers?

Offline gordonr

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 08:33:45 AM »
Not yet

Offline gordonr

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 07:05:56 PM »
      I did get an answer to my leathers question. They will pass tech. My suit was designed for Bonneville by Vanson.  Matt at Vanson had "fitted me a few years ago and updated me today on the new products for rider safety. So I plan on sending my suit back for some upgrades. 1st is to upgrade my liner with "Carbonex". A better fire protectant than Nomex. Then a slide in chest protector. I also will be wearing and "under armor" under my suit and helmet as well.

I learned the existing leather rules still apply and the new rules are an "add on". They are basically saying you can wear race specific leathers designed for and made for abrasion and fire resistance.  Van has told me that Race leather manufactures are smarter than most racing organizations when it comes to safety in the design of there suits. So the spirit of the ruling has changed for the better. So if you want to wear a $5k+ suit with airbags you can.  Van is looking /hoping for shoulder, back, chest, elbow type protections in the suits. He wants everyone buying there suits, buys them with the knowledge that if they go down that they would feel confident in their decision and their gear will keep them safe.