Author Topic: Van Hire  (Read 2499 times)

Offline andychaos

• New folks
Van Hire
« on: April 17, 2016, 10:01:18 AM »
I am having major problems renting either a pickup or a cargo van.
As soon as I tick the box, I am from the UK, pickups and vans disappear from the list of vehicles.
Have any other Brits had this problem or is just is just worth taking the risk and hire one when we get there.

Andy
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 10:33:00 AM by andychaos »

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
Re: Van Hire
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 05:21:06 PM »
Im sorta a Brit, proud of my Convict heritage :-D,,

Had the same problem, so done a google maps search on UHaul outlets in the SanFrancisco airport area, zoomed in and had a look at the shop front and surrounds, chose one and made a phone call direct to them and had the van orginised  8-),, Now that thay know me i phone a week in advance and Rob always keeps a "good one" ready to go,  :-)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 05:26:46 PM by stay`tee »
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 06:48:57 PM »
I suspect what you are seeing here may be a xenophobic fear on the part of the rental companies in reaction to foreign citizens renting large vehicles for nefarious purposes.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 06:53:03 PM »
Like hauling musical instruments.  :-o  :cheers: Wayno

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 11:16:17 AM »

I'm not so sure there is anything xenophobic about not being stupid.

Being upfront with the folks that rent vans would go a long ways toward getting what your looking for.

I know if someone from anywhere, came into my place of business acting in a furtive manner, they'd be treated very differently than someone there doing honest business, nothing xenophobic about it. So, if the rental company ask, tell them what your needs are, and for what.

Rouse

Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 12:50:26 PM »

Agreed.

From both a provider's and a customer's standpoint, and as evidenced by Stay'tee's rental, something less automatically exclusive might be in order.  If it were my website, I would have had an automated response that would have read something like this, "Visiting the US and need a truck or van?  We'll walk you through the process!  Contact us at (fill in the blank), and our staff will help you."

I've worked for U-Haul, rented apartments for years, and currently rent AV equipment - it's important to have a good idea why your customer is renting, what they are renting it for, and that they know how to properly use it if for no other reason than to know that their needs are being attended.  The more questions and personal contact a hire company has with a customer, the easier it is to suss out the nefarious, and the better taken care of the customer will feel.

What I've learned over the years?  It's the walk-up, last-minute rentals that bite you in the A$$ and get you into trouble, not the ones that are planned two weeks or two months in advance through good communications.

On the other hand, to automatically shunt foreign business on a website through exclusion because of country of origin may not be xenophobic, but to do so without engaging the customer is bad business.

I'm glad Stay'tee found his work-around.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 03:44:18 PM »

Agreed.

On the other hand, to automatically shunt foreign business on a website through exclusion because of country of origin may not be xenophobic, but to do so without engaging the customer is bad business.

I'm glad Stay'tee found his work-around.

I'll go along with that.

Stsy'tee is the perfect example of not taking no for an answer.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline andychaos

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 05:05:56 PM »
Thanks for the advice, we have managed to hire a pickup for now but might try to swap for a van on arrival.
So that's flights booked, Hotel booked, bike transport sorted and entries paid for. Its only the salt can stop us now :-D