Author Topic: Pump all summer???  (Read 21666 times)

Offline Ron Gibson

Re: Pump all summer???
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2016, 12:34:14 PM »
I am under the impression it was explained that the brine percolates into the lower layers where it is pumped from wells rather than the ditches. Racing salt goes away.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline bbarn

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2016, 01:16:26 PM »
My understanding is that the plan includes blocking off the drainage to the south. Apparently they aren't getting that much of their production from the race course area and it could be halted with minimum effect. I think that may have been part of the PRI presentation. If not it was in some of the more recent information that's been published.

Pete

I recall that as well from the PRI conversation. Getting the ditches closed stopped/slowed the flow of the surface and allowed for a retention pond to raise the saturation from 26 to 28% then over the dyke onto the surface.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2016, 03:55:01 PM »

My understanding is that the plan includes blocking off the drainage to the south. Apparently they aren't getting that much of their production from the race course area and it could be halted with minimum effect. I think that may have been part of the PRI presentation. If not it was in some of the more recent information that's been published.

Pete

Which brings to the fore a potential problem -

I understand Intrepid is looking at the possibility of backing away from their public leases, precisely because so little potash is being extracted from the race track side of the road.

IF they back away, I suspect they'll be disinclined to maintain pumping.

And they own the pumps . . .  :roll:

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Steve Cole

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2016, 08:53:11 PM »

Pete

Which brings to the fore a potential problem -

I understand Intrepid is looking at the possibility of backing away from their public leases, precisely because so little potash is being extracted from the race track side of the road.

IF they back away, I suspect they'll be disinclined to maintain pumping.

And they own the pumps . . .  :roll:

That's the real trouble spot. If Intrepid tries to back away, the government only has what they made them pay for the reclamation fee and I doubt that will cover too much. So its going to cost the tax payers no matter how you look at it, or its not going to get done. There is no short term fix and everyone needs to understand that, it is going to take years but the longer we wait the longer its going to take.

Offline bbarn

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2016, 09:47:21 AM »
Anyone know the amount of Intrepid's bond? That is all that there will be to fall back on if they abandon the station.

I said in a post a while back that there is a distinct possibility that the corporate structure would allow for them to close down operations and dissolve (no pun intended) the part of the corporation that holds the responsibility for reclamation at Wendover while the parent company continues to do what it does. Corporate lawyers are smart that way.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2016, 03:29:00 PM »
I hear the BLM's calling a big "summit" on May 17th.  Hope somebody has a plan by then that can be rejected, modified or implemented.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records