Author Topic: 2016 course length  (Read 6324 times)

Offline sofadriver

2016 course length
« on: April 10, 2016, 12:59:23 AM »
Will Speedweek  happen if there's only enough salt for the short courses?
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
Re: 2016 course length
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 01:13:33 PM »
I don't know, but I set in my entry forms on Thursday, and I really don't wont it back this year.

If a short coarse is all that can be managed, then that's what I will run.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline BobDcuda

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 08:10:19 PM »
As I recall, that same question came up for a brief moment last year.  The SCTA took a poll from drivers if they would still participate if there was only one course.  Conditions made that question moot, however, and of course the meet was cancelled.

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 09:02:12 AM »
I need to get my license current, at least to the previous level, and the short coarse will do that.

The class record for what we are running
is right on the next level, so maybe if we're good enough I can upgrade one notch :-D.

Here's hoping for salt.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 12:33:45 AM »
  Just a brief note to others with Room Reservations at the Nugget. Mark your calendar for for July 10th.  That is the last date You can cancel any or all rooms for Speedweek 2016 without being charged for a one day rate for each room You have reserved.  As a example if You have six rooms reserved and the event is cancelled any time after July 10th, You will be charged roughly $1,200. Dollars which personally I don't have a problem with.  I think the "big three" may be possibly more expensive to cancel.                                                                                        Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 04:01:05 PM »
The SCTA "short" course (not coarse, hopefully) is a lot longer than a mile.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline dw230

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 08:14:39 PM »
A brief piece of history here.

I was the SCTA President in 1984. We had not run for two years. There was no race in 1982, inspected at the airport but did not run the salt. The year 1983, we never left Los Angeles, try to find a program for 1983 to complete your collection(none printed).

I was determined that there would be a Speed Week. Due to weather conditions, the water was lapping over the steps at the SLC Capitol building. Members of this board will be able to confirm my statement. We could not run in August and postponed the event until either Sept. or Oct., slips my memory now. Anyway, we set up the track, still one course at the time. A three mile track overlaying a five mile track. Everyone lined up and ran, pulled out at your short or long course marker.

That year we ran Sunday to Saturday. Courses all set up and we all went to town. Came outside to a complete downpour. Sunday morning we decided to move the starting line down course two miles leaving only a short 3 mile course. We left the pits where they were, you had to tow two miles to the start line. I had several long course vehicles tell me they could not not run on three miles and packed up for home.

Bottom line, we ran 2.5 days until the next rain. Seven board members and friends picked the joint up after everyone left.

My point is, you just can't tell.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth