Author Topic: 2006 Changes to Hooley's Stude....  (Read 15524 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
2006 Changes to Hooley's Stude....
« on: September 20, 2006, 06:46:13 PM »
If anyone is interested I just added a page that documents some of the changes to the Stude prior to Speed Week 2006 ( HERE ).

c ya,

Sum

terry russell

2006 Changes to Hooley's Stude....
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 07:02:38 PM »
darn nice car, That one and G.Harts are the best of the stus. I have ever seen.I have wondered why most don't use a roof flap.
Terry

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: 2006 Changes to Hooley's Stude....
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 04:32:44 PM »
 Hooley  when are we going to read about your 2013 UPgrades????

bigger motor?

TURBOS ???????????????
 Efi ???
Blowthrough !!!!
Wing????

Hooley-----Come on  compete for the Fastest Studie Trophy!!!

Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 02:30:10 PM »
Well, last time I talked to Hooley in Ohio, I heard blown BBC!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 09:27:49 PM »
Hey Hooley, ain't you from the "show me" State.... come on... show us, what's your plan to win that trophy.... One Run needs some competition

PS Sumner, what going on, got that lakester done yet..
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 09:42:04 PM »
That subject title popped up, and I thought, "Wow, that's a lot of changes - no wonder we hadn't seen anything on it for a while".
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 11:52:13 AM »
I don't know Jack about what's going on but Milwaukee Midget you sure have a big spoon out today. :cheers:

Offline Crosley

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 01:22:15 PM »
Last I heard is Procharged - intercooled big chevy AA motor.  I forget the CID Hooley decided on.

Sumner is still boating - sailing - fishing last I heard.  He mentioned small block chevy into his streamliner about 2 yrs ago... nothing yet.
Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"

Offline Hooley

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 11:24:37 AM »
Boy am I behind on posting what's going on.
  Our planes are to put a blown AA motor in the Stude. to see if we can put it in the 260's  for a personal goal and maybe a record. 

I purchased a 572 BBC [Dart]  long block from Bobby Moore that I think was in his Corvette at one time.  It is a 4.60 bore with a 4.25 stroke.  There are a set of 360 Dart heads that have been worked.  The motor had some non critical damage that Reher- Morrision repaired. It is prepped and ready for build. The crank needed some repair. It has been fixed and ready.  I need to see what the compression ratio is with what I have before moving on.  I am planning on running Fuel class.

I haven't chosen a blower system yet. I have on hand an Enderle Bird catcher on hand for a blower and a 871 BDS that is on the small block.  I would need an intake and drive for this.  I am also looking at Turbos and Pro- Charger.  I have been building a 32 Ford Roadster that has been setting since I started this Land Speed racing.  I will jump on the motor the first part of Dec. I want the 32 to be a roller before I do start.

I haven't let moss grow under the wheels of 974. We ran it at the Texas Mile in 2011 and ran the ECTA's Ohio Mile 3 times this summer.  Wow it's a HOOT to let one eat for a mile and STOP.

Later Hooley
"Just Glad To Be Here"

Offline Freud

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 12:15:49 PM »
Welcome back, Hooley.

It's great to hear from you. We should have known that a racer like you wouldn't have walked away.

If you talk to Sumner tell him HELLO from all of us. I'm certain that one day he too will return.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Hooley

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 09:09:11 AM »
Thanks FREUD,
                       I will tell Sum when I talk to him. I need to call him soon.
  Retirement slowed me down with both Land Speed and drag racing for a while.  Things are working out where I can come back to the salt.  Looking forward to be there with my own program.

Your Friend,
          Hooley
"Just Glad To Be Here"

Offline Hooley

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 09:04:47 PM »
I checked the compression ratio with the pistons and rods that came with the block. The were at 10.05 to 1.  That is OK for a blower.  After checking with BDS about the gas ported pistons I learned that they won't work with a blower.  Since a new set of pistons and rods are in order I will  try to figure out a good piston and rod length that will work.  Is there a good combo that has worked for anyone that they would recommend?  For now back to the drawing board.

Hooley
"Just Glad To Be Here"

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 11:21:02 PM »
Hooley I run 6.535 rods with my std 9.8 block  lots of off the shelf pistons are available---go to JE's web site  and just look around at the bigger bore combos!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Hooley

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 08:33:04 AM »
Thanks Sparky,
                       That is the length of the rods that were in the block.  There isn't a whole set that are usable. I am looking at Howards I beam rods that are rated for over 1,000 HP.  While on the same subject I have a better knowledge of the pin oilers you were telling me about. I'll be calling you before long to sharping the little knowledge I have about that. 
  Next week I'll be going to the IMIS trade show in Indy. I should come home totaly confused but I'll sift through all of it and have a good combo to go with.

The bore looks like it is 4.6250 with .009 piston clearance[on the old pistons].  These are rough measurements.
  Stroke is 4.250.

Later,
           Hooley
"Just Glad To Be Here"

Offline Hooley

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 08:22:55 AM »
I am back from the IMIS show in Indy.  I am so full of it now  [knowledge that is] I have became confused.  I talked with Manley about the valves for the Dart 360 heads. They recommended using small block size stems.  Any thoughts on this?? 

I'm starting to gather the parts to assemble the long block. I was hoping to have it done the first part of Jan but now maybe the first of Feb.

Hooley
"Just Glad To Be Here"