Author Topic: Dorian's Suzuki GS 500 E 90's.  (Read 4059 times)

Offline Dorian

• New folks
Dorian's Suzuki GS 500 E 90's.
« on: January 26, 2013, 11:02:37 AM »
Hello friends,  :cheers:

I make this topic to talk about you my project.
This is a GS 500 E made by Suzuki in the 90's, The goal : to beat the 500 cm3 record, I'll use a Turbo-compressor, The bike will be a Partial Streamliner.

According to what i've read, the categorie for my bike should be : MPS-BG, I think this is the good one ?
What is the difference between " GASOLINE " and "FUEL" ? My project will use the standard gasoline, in France it's : Unleaded 95 and unleaded 98.

The front wheel must be 180° covered by a fender, my hands and forearm so.
The back of the frame is cut and weld for another shape.

The work will start on next week, the picts come with it !
The bike must be ok for June, for taking the boat from France to USA.

I hope my English is not too hard to understand, I'm rookie :p

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Dorian's Suzuki GS 500 E 90's.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 12:05:07 PM »
Hello, Dorian -- and welcome to the landracing.com Forum.  I don't think your command of the American language should cause you worry -- from what you've typed thus far -- you're probably better than many of the yay-hoos that hang out here.

I'll respond to your fuel question first of all.  At most Bonneville salt flats events* there is a vendor to sell the various fuels used.  If you are running in a "gas" class you must have only a gasoline that you've bought at the fuel vendor's truck.  You must arrive at the truck with your bike's tank empty (they WILL check it).  You have a few choices of which gasoline to use, based upon your expected running conditions (how much boost and many other variables).  The fuel vendor will usually be happy to offer suggestions on what gasoline will work best for your needs.  You'll make your choice and he will fill your tank with the type and quantity you've chosen, and then will "seal" the tank with tape and a bit of paint/nail polish, making it impossible for you to open the tank and put in additives.

You've chosen to run in MPS-BG -- a "gas" class, so you will have to go through the above procedure when getting fuel.

You ask of "fuel" classes.  Fuel class allows you to run any kind of stuff you want to use, whether it be nitromethane, nitrous oxide, gasoline, turpentine, or even Earl Grey tea or some old champagne.  Yes, you can run the exact same gasoline that you run in "gas" class -- the difference being that in fuel class there is no inspection of the tank to make sure it's empty, and no sealing of the tank, etc.

In other words -- you can run in gas class on the gasoline you get there and then switch to a fuel class - without changing what's in the tank.  It has happened that the record in the fuel class is attainable to a racer/vehicle that's running in a gas class -- so said racer changes class and runs in the fuel class.

I apologise for the intricate description -- but there's no easy way for me to explain all of it, I guess.

I will now ask -- at which event do you intend to race?  And - do you have the current rules/rulebook for the sanctioning organisation under whose supervision you'll race?  And finally -- as for what must be covered (wheel, hands, etc. . .)  just visit this Forum and keep asking and you'll get all of the advice you can use.

One more welcome -- and we look forward to seeing you on the salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Geo

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 12:34:29 PM »
Hi Dorian,

Wow, you are from my favorite village in France!

Gasoline is purchased from the vendor at the track and then the gas cap is sealed.

Fuel is anything else including gasoline from a station in town or you bring from France.

Geo

Offline Dorian

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 02:47:36 PM »
Seldom Seen Slim, Thank you, you answered all my questions ! I'll use the old Champagne, it's the best for a speed record lol  :-D
I would like to go to Speed Week this year. Here, in France, In a close future, I would create a workshop and make some bikes like "Café racer", "Bobber", etc... And old cars, I like the Austin mini car, Hot rod and many others.

Trying to beat a record, is for me a dream for 10 years, and I would like to have the opportunity to show that my engines are liable. ( I hope so lol ).
I'll buy the "RulesBook" on next week, and do the bike with it.

I saw, on the official Bonneville Website, the Rookie's orientation form, it seem not easy, just a little stress for me !  :-)
As the project goes along, I'll have some new questions  :lol:

I hope to see you too on the salt !

GEO:cheers: Thanks for your answer ! Yes, here is a good place for the mechanic, bike and car race !

D.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 10:40:30 PM »
Hello friends,  :cheers:
According to what i've read, the categorie for my bike should be : MPS-BG, I think this is the good one ?

The front wheel must be 180° covered by a fender, my hands and forearm so.
The back of the frame is cut and weld for another shape.

The work will start on next week, the picts come with it !
The bike must be ok for June, for taking the boat from France to USA.

I hope my English is not too hard to understand, I'm rookie :p

Must is not the correct word here, may is the right one.  You may cover the hands and forearms, the wheel , not so, in Modified you must be able to see 210 degrees of the wheel and tire.  Other things in Modified.... you must be within 10% of stock wheelbase, tail section under 36 inches unless using stock that came taller, bodywork ending at the back or rear tire, and on and on and on.... Get a rule book, read it 100 times, ask a few questions on the parts that seem confusing... don't worry, it will. 
good luck with the scooter,
see ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline DND

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 06:03:52 AM »
Hi Dorian

Looking forward to seeing your bike build, how fast do you have to go in the 500 class to get the record?

You will love the salt as it is such a special place, standing there when all is quiet is a real mind trip you will never forget.

Was there 4 times in the 60's and have great memories.

Don

Offline Dorian

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 12:16:37 PM »
Stainless1, Thanks for answer, yes, I'll buy the RulesBook very soon. too many rules to learn and respect and can't build the bike without it.
Yes, I'll ask some others questions ! :-D

DND,, Thanks for interest ! I saw on Bonneville's records web site, in MPS-BG 500 cm3 category, the speed record is : 120.507 mph, and the team is : Foil Hat Racing.
Yes this place is a myth, and here in France, is a dream for many guys !

:cheers: