Author Topic: Dry sump oil line question  (Read 5076 times)

Offline QikNip

Dry sump oil line question
« on: April 06, 2016, 12:01:35 PM »
This build is my first dry sump installation and (not surprisingly) I have a question. I've looked at the typical on-line sources (Jegs and Summit) and while they carry dry sump tanks, they don't appear to carry oil lines. Is that because most "dry sumpers" use custom made lines from a local auto parts store? If that's not the case, where are folks getting the braided lines with 12AN fittings to hook everything up?
Rick
138.0 G/CPRO 4/18 Arkansas Mile Challenge Record
145.632 G/CPRO 8/17 Bonneville Record
149.825 G/CPRO 8/18 Bonneville Record
142.443 G/CPRO 9/20 Loring 1.0 Mile Record
156.343 G/CPRO 9/20 Loring 1.5 Mile Record

Offline dw230

Re: Dry sump oil line question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 12:44:44 PM »
You make the lines to your specs in your shop.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 01:06:05 PM »
Fittings by various mfg's are available from the sources you mention as well as hose. There are some tricks to cutting hose. You might look in the mid engine modified sports thread over the past couple of days which has some thoughts about cutting hose and assembly:http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4045.1080.html

I have tried to attach the Aeroquip catalog (not recent but will give an idea) which shows types of fittings and a section on assembling hose. There are likely youtube videos about how to do it as well though I have not looked for such. Good luck.

OK my catalog file is too big so go here for a start: http://aeroquipperformance.com/p-24065-catalog.html
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 08:20:58 PM »
You can call these guys and they will help you sort out what you need and how to get there.
They sell oil tanks for dry sump systems and line/fittings, and will answer questions.

I bought all the fittings and line I use on my car when I upgraded to braided line from them.
I prefer the Fragola line of fittings but they are all pretty similar in style and function.

http://www.petersonfluidsys.com/

Offline QikNip

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 09:10:56 AM »
Thanks for the great input guys. I really appreciate it! :cheers:
Rick

Offline lowflyer

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 01:10:00 PM »
Try Ebay. do a search for "dry sump hoses" . There is a guy called Hindel15 who sells used NASCAR stuff. Look carefully, you want the ones with blue and red ends that are reusable and stainless hose. He sells complete hoses for less than the cost of a single fitting. I plumbed a system with -12 hose for about $300. If you buy several at a time he will combine shipping, and usually will accept offers. You can shorten the hoses if needed, or replace with new hose if you are worried about it. All of the ones I got had been cleaned and came with caps installed to keep debris out and with no damage.

Offline bbarn

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 01:17:50 PM »
Get yourself some AN fittings:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/section/fittings-plugs?sortby=Default&sortorder=Ascending&keyword=an%20fittings&kr=an%20fittings

And then get some hose:
http://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=stainless%20braided%20hose

Use tape on the hose ends to keep them from fraying. Use a cutoff wheel to cut the hose to length - cut through the center of the applied tape. Move fast enough to not melt the rubber but slow enough to not fray the stainless braiding. Install your AN fitting and flush the hose out to remove chips, dust, rubber and stainless braiding pieces. Remove the tape as the step just before installing the AN fitting to prevent fraying.

You don't have to buy them from summit there may be some cheaper suppliers out there. Just used them to display a page full of the various products.

Make your hoses new and customize them for routing. These are important lines and I wouldn't trust them being made for another application or pre-contaminated by someone else.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 04:26:37 PM »
my advise be fore you invest to much in Ebay stuff understand there are several different styles and types of fittings some are reusable and several aren't you need the reusable style to custom fit to you application.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 09:42:35 PM »
One tip to use for routing the hoses and sorting out their length.

When I did my AN fuel system I took the hose fittings and screwed them on their final location then bought a big coil of plain old fashioned clear vinyl hose the same diameter as your finished braided line, that would push fit over the ends of the fittings. Then you can play with routing and length using that cheap clear plastic hose until you find the length and routing that naturally follows the path you want to run the hose. Just a very small difference in length of the hose can make a big difference in how it wants to lay in the engine compartment. Once you have the dummy hoses all figured out, you can cut the real stuff exactly right each time.

The clear plastic hose will also force you to find routing paths which do not try to kink the hoses as it will not want to bend too tightly without buckling, so it also sorts out hose routing for sharp bends, and where to put hose clamps to hold the hose where it will not get into things you don't want it touching.

Stainless braided hose will sand its way right through things if it is allowed to rest on a vibrating surface (valve cover) as the stainless braid is a lot harder than the stuff it is riding against. Not to mention you want to keep it out of contact with hot headers, or electrical wiring and things that spin and move like belts and pulleys.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 09:46:08 PM »
Good idea- thanks.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 10:28:53 PM »
That system of trial fit saved me a lot of hassle, time and expense.

I thought I had everything figured out when I was visualizing one hose at a time, until I started doing the dummy lines and found I had two lines that wanted to run through the same gap and you could not fit them both in that space with out kinking one or both of them. It was not obvious until you tried to put two physical pieces of hose through that space. To resolve the conflict and get things the way I wanted, I had to change the routing of 4 pieces of hose to come up with a better solution. Every time I solved one problem I created another. I also found that some minor changes in choices of fittings was very helpful to get the hose to naturally lay the way I wanted it without getting into bad places like riding against the exhaust manifold.

If you are using something like Aeroquip Firesleeve you also need to get a short test piece of it to slide over the dummy hoses because it makes the final line size much larger and stiffer than the bare braided line.

Offline QikNip

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 05:13:43 PM »
Great stuff Hotrod! Thanks. Rick

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 05:28:33 PM »
before this  is all over you will learn a lot about packaging  and the various angles that you can buy AN fittings with ---if this is in a car with tight confines  have fun
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!