Author Topic: Drones At Bonneville  (Read 43962 times)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: Drones At Bonneville
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2016, 01:32:14 PM »
The Facts,

the rules, as they are for the last 40 years also count for drones....we here in Europe run similar rules...maybe more restrict than in the US....but this maybe has to do with the much closer areas we have, where people are living.....

as written, the pro's will (maybe) stay inside this rules.....because they make their living with this

the real issues is the thousands of drone freak....today, they are 99+ percent of the drone user.....what's behind them....normally no pro equipment...no proper training...no experience when something starts going wrong.....and finally....and this is the sad experience here in Europe (and a big issue in Germany).....they give a da...mn sh...t on the laws and rules............also they know the rules....they ignore the rules....one of the real dangerous use of drone....in an airport area....nearly every week it comes in the news, that again a drone was flown inside an airfield (airport) area by a unknown user.....
but did it stop after the news.....no....it happens again and again.....sometimes you can get the feeling it becomes a sport to break this laws and rules.....

Worse....after some fatal incidents caused by drones, nobody end up at the court....because all this used drones are not registered in any way....so the user could never be found.....

in Germany from all incidents with drones, 100% of the user of the drones walked away without fine....because, they couldn't be found....

Back to the salt.....how you like to find the user at the salt....zero chance to find them....

when you can't find them.....how you catch them when a incident happens....

or say it in other words....the one who cry's now as the loudest to allowed the drones.....will be the loudest who will cry if he became a victim of a incident with a drone.....

it is great, that there is a big fine written for wrong use of the drone.....but what count it, if you have no chance to find the one who done wrong....

At the salt we are more than busy to keep the meets safe....not only for the racers but also for crew members and spectators.....and it is tough to do this 100 %.....

with all this what the organizers are doing....and they doing a great job on the safety issue....there are still enough example that something went wrong and out of control.....

so, we are interest to reduce the necessary base safety to control the not pro drone user (which is in fact impossible).....

and by the way.....Jon (Wennerberg) wrote about the one he knows (and asked for the use of a drone)....one pro who respect the laws and rules....

he is a rare example....I never had seen a so pro drone user at the salt, since they start to use drones.....they all, without exception, ignored the rules and laws....so well they are known....

just for to get the right kick for their own video/photo production....and therefore they give a sh...t on the rules and laws....

But maybe we need at first a heavy incident that the people understand the risk....but than we are in trouble....there are enough people outside the salt, who just wait for a so situation to kick our Acura......and we deliver the reason for doing this.....

and it will finally hurt the other who done correct and in safe manner.....

Midget, you be absolute right with your comments
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 01:40:46 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2016, 01:38:33 PM »
 :cheers:
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2016, 01:44:54 PM »

Well,

if this is the solution for the salt.....it will be very loud above our heads at the salt....and maybe we need a new rule for crew member and spectators....they have to wear helmets...
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2016, 03:05:44 PM »
I talked with Tony (upstairs) a bit more.  He's got a big-azz "toy" helicopter - that he bought a handful of years ago for the video biz.  It's got a 2-stroke engine and rotors about 3' long/6' diameter.

And he says that until the rules are firmed - he won't use the thing other than as a toy, but he's not interested much in that -- 'cause of the funky rules.  He's got a few others -- "newish" with multi rotors, tiny battery 'copter, and so on -- and none of 'em get use.

Yeah, he might be one in a bunch - but imagine the noise from a 6' helicopter with a chain saw engine zinging along over our heads at the meeting.  I think SCTA might invite NRA* for the day. . . :evil:

*Pork Pie:  NRA  is the National Rifle Ass'n, the big gun lobby in the US.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2016, 04:56:28 PM »

Well,

if this is the solution for the salt.....it will be very loud above our heads at the salt....and maybe we need a new rule for crew member and spectators....they have to wear helmets...
[/quote]

Jon,

the NRA was the reason why I wrote this note....I thought when they come along with some big elephant guns....the sound of the drones and helicopter will be gone....but if WE feel than better with our blown ear drums.....this maybe stand than on other paper... :roll: :roll: :roll:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 06:34:19 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2016, 06:52:26 PM »
Guys --

I think we should give the SCTA their due -- they were ahead of us already on this.  There are a lot of official and non-official SCTA members at any SCTA event.  And they probably conduct their events as well as any other organization.  So let's just hope they have an event to conduct.

Stan

P.S.  I believe the drone at the 2013 Drivers Meeting was the BBC's (or one of their contributors).  That shows that all professionals are not always professional.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jl222

« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2016, 07:13:34 PM »

Yea, SCTA drone hunting license  :-D

JL222

gkabbt

« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2016, 08:10:49 PM »

If any show up at Bonneville, make them have the Here Ya Bastards banner or it's open season like Brian posted!!!

:-D  :-D  :-D

Gregg

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2016, 08:51:19 AM »
   Maybe SCTA should start selling advertising space on their banners as a qualification for a permit to fly and take pictures.
      Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline typo41

• Huntimer Photography
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2016, 05:41:56 PM »
Get enough drones together and maybe all that prop wash will dry out the salt,,,,

And this continues to drone on  :dhorse:
Tony Huntimer
Huntimer Photography